Ohta-San's Martin Ukulele

Michael_

Reaction score
I wonder which Ukulele Ohta-San plays in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqwo6yGswOk

Looks like a Martin style 3 to me, but I don't know if it's soprano or concert size. Just wondering if he really uses a low G string on a soprano. He's quite small so I can't tell which size his ukulele is. Any ideas?

It looks like a concert to me, definitely style 3. I don't know how big Ohta-San is, but I don't have really huge hands, yet can easily cover the fifth fret on my soprano if I place my hand flat on it- looks like that would be a stretch for him.

Herb Ohta-San played a Kamaka concert ukulele in his first years of business success, mostly high g (you can listen to his album "Pacific Potpourri" for that).
Later or may be at the same time he played Martin or Martin Style ukuleles for the most part, sopranos. He mostly used a Style 3 soprano for the recordings and live concerts and mostly used low g tuning.
A concrete chronic is hard to reconstruct but that's the essence basically as far as the research goes.
His solo album "Hawaiian time" is a great reference point for me. He plays solo soprano ukulele in low and high g tuning. His low g Martin Style 3 is also equipped and played with a good active pickup that also enhances the sound in his performances and recordings through a Fender amplifier.

Last edited:
Top Bottom