PDA

View Full Version : Steel String Ukulele?

ItsMrPitchy
02-28-2011, 03:41 AM
I have heard that steel strings on a normal uke will have to much tension. But i have seen steel ukulele strings on sale before. Does anyone know any ukuleles that can be strung with steel strings?

ichadwick
02-28-2011, 03:55 AM
Not acoustic ukes. Solid-body ukes with geared tuners only. A typical tenor uke has 39-40 lbs of pressure with nylon strings. Change to steel and that jumps to 90-95 lbs! That will rip the bridge right off. The bracing and bridge support for a typical uke simply isn't stong enough. Might get a custom-made one that can handle the stress, but not an off-the-shelf model.

eleukeusa
02-28-2011, 04:04 AM
I have heard that steel strings on a normal uke will have to much tension. But i have seen steel ukulele strings on sale before. Does anyone know any ukuleles that can be strung with steel strings?

Also, make sure it has a truss rod (a big metal rod going up the inside of the neck) so that the neck doesn't warp.

ItsMrPitchy
02-28-2011, 09:26 AM
Thank you for the replys they are very helpful.

kissing
03-01-2011, 01:07 AM
There are several makers around.
The ones I'm most familiar with are Risa. They are at http://www.ukulele.de

Eleuke will release a steel string model of their electrics too soon. It's in the catalogue, but I don't think they've hit stores yet.

ItsMrPitchy
03-01-2011, 02:53 AM
Cheers for the website kissing. Hopeful in the near future i will be able to buy a steel stringed uke.