Steel String Ukulele?

ItsMrPitchy

Reaction score
I have heard that steel strings on a normal uke will have to much tension. But i have seen steel ukulele strings on sale before. Does anyone know any ukuleles that can be strung with steel strings?

Not acoustic ukes. Solid-body ukes with geared tuners only. A typical tenor uke has 39-40 lbs of pressure with nylon strings. Change to steel and that jumps to 90-95 lbs! That will rip the bridge right off. The bracing and bridge support for a typical uke simply isn't stong enough. Might get a custom-made one that can handle the stress, but not an off-the-shelf model.

I have heard that steel strings on a normal uke will have to much tension. But i have seen steel ukulele strings on sale before. Does anyone know any ukuleles that can be strung with steel strings?

Also, make sure it has a truss rod (a big metal rod going up the inside of the neck) so that the neck doesn't warp.

There are several makers around.
The ones I'm most familiar with are Risa. They are at http://www.ukulele.de

Eleuke will release a steel string model of their electrics too soon. It's in the catalogue, but I don't think they've hit stores yet.

Cheers for the website kissing. Hopeful in the near future i will be able to buy a steel stringed uke.

Top Bottom