What means (G/C/G) ???

Blisters_left

Reaction score
Hello,

I've come over a chord-notation that says (it's written above of one word of the text) (G/C/G) - and I'm not sure what is meant here....
Because to strum each chord for itself the time is to short ?
I tried though but even if I play just single strums out of the strum pattern, it sounds odd - and I'm not sure if it perhaps means something else...
If I just play the G-chord it doesn't really fit as well...there's something missing, but I can't figure out what...

Sorry if it's a stupid question but I can't find out.... :(

Thanks a lot
B_L

Hmmm... is it written out exactly like that where the chords are consecutively following another chord with a slash?

You will sometimes see in chord charts chords that are written like this: C/G, G/B, or D/F#.

These chords are considered slash chords... essentially you are playing the chord to the left of the slash while the note to the right of the slash is the note used in the bass. On ukuleles, because there is not much lower register, you normally just stick to the chord to the left of the slash.

However...

If the chords are written like G/C/G then it could designate faster chord changes or trying to imply some sort of rhythm. It's hard to tell though. What song are you looking at?

Last edited:
Hello savethecheerleader,

thanks for your advice.
It's written exactly like I wrote it (G/C/G) and it's in the end of the third chorus of "Hey Soulsister" by Train.
The chords are notated above the word "today"...
And I can't figure out how to play that piece, because afterwards there's the point where the fourth chorus begins with F....
Maybe there's a mistake in the chord notation, because if I leave the last G out it sounds okay - not perfect, but not so odd as if I squeeze another G in there...
Maybe I just leave that G out and declare it as new interpretation *lol*.

Has someone else another idea maybe ?

Thanks a lot
B_L

Hello savethecheerleader,

thanks for your advice.
It's written exactly like I wrote it (G/C/G) and it's in the end of the third chorus of "Hey Soulsister" by Train.
The chords are notated above the word "today"...
And I can't figure out how to play that piece, because afterwards there's the point where the fourth chorus begins with F....
Maybe there's a mistake in the chord notation, because if I leave the last G out it sounds okay - not perfect, but not so odd as if I squeeze another G in there...
Maybe I just leave that G out and declare it as new interpretation *lol*.

Has someone else another idea maybe ?

Thanks a lot
B_L

A I-IV-I (G-C-G in the key of G) is a fairly common chord progression often found at the end of phrases. You see this a lot in hyms and british-isles derived music, especially. It is sometimes played as a triplet, other times as the last three beats of a measure (beat G, beat C, beat G). And, when you've been playing a while, it's really not difficult to change between C and G on each beat on either uke or guitar.

John

Top Bottom