Who are the best ukulele experts to learn from?

tybro0103

Reaction score
Hello,

New here and interested in the ukulele. I was wondering what the best way to learn the ukulele is.. or more importantly WHO are the best people to learn from? Who are the recognized experts?

Thanks!

The best way to learn would be to take lessons from someone who teaches the ukulele. If that's not an option, I would recommend some instructional DVDs from Roy Sakuma and also video lessons and "Uke Minutes" from right here on Ukulele Underground.

The best way to learn would be to take lessons from someone who teaches the ukulele.

Yes. This.

While there are some great online resources and well-known names out there, there are probably just as many great teachers who aren't on YouTube and who are completely unheard of in the mainstream.

If you're just starting out, find a uke-friendly music shop and start there. Find out if there are any ukulele clubs or groups in your area.

I think to some degree who you would want to learn from would also depend on what kind of things you want to play. For example, if I wanted to learn to play jazz I would probably try to find a teacher who plays jazz. If I wanted to learn Hawaiian style I would find one is good at that. If I wanted to learn to play like Jake, or James Hill.... well I can dream, but you get the idea. Many people now teach by Skype, so you are no longer even limited by geography.

I really liked Steven Sproat's Ukulelelounge DVD. I think it's as close to a private lesson as you can get without getting a private lesson ( not an option where I live). Learned alot from it.

Ideally, its the teaher whos teaching method makes the most sense to you. I don't know your skill level, but after trying several books/CD/DVDs I had to go back to Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot camp to master the basics. I was unable to pick them up just trying to play songs one at a time. May work for some, not for me. I intend on getting back to the masters instructions as soon as I master the basics. Best of Luck.

Top Bottom