C.F Martin Baritone Ukulele

Lillian

Reaction score
I recently picked this up at a local shop. They are a Martin dealer, but all the guy could tell me was that it was built after 1960. The marking inside reads C.F Martin, Nazareth, Pa, Made in the U.S.A, but of course no serial numbers. The fret markers are round dots which appear to be mother of pearl. It has geared tuners, unlike anything I've ever seen, very unusual. The guess is that it was a custom ordered instrument. Has anyone come across a Martin Baritone like this before?
p.s I should mention that it has a rosewood fretboard, and it is a Style 51.

Attachments

• c.f.Martin51Baritone.JPG
    c.f.Martin51Baritone.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 53
  • c.f.martin back.JPG
    c.f.martin back.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 39
  • c.f.martin front.JPG
    c.f.martin front.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 48
  • c.f.Martin New Case.jpg
    c.f.Martin New Case.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
NO, BUT IT LOOKS A LOT LIKE MY Gibson. I love it. Strung with Southcoast linear. Awsome for fingerpicking. enjoy it.

Attachments

• GIBSON KE 003.jpg
    GIBSON KE 003.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 18
I'd guess that the original friction tuners have been changed out. Other than the tuners, yours conforms to standard specifications for a Martin baritone.

According to the shop I bought it from, this was a custom job and that the tuners were original to the instrument.

Aloha Lillian,
Welcome to the UU and our forums ...Have Fun and enjoy...glad to have you aboard..
That a very nice ukulele...wow..and in very good condition ...and it you're a real lucky person...I'd send pictures to Martin and their Museum and see what they have to say...would be intresting...Good Luck!
Happy Strummings and congratulations on the nice Martin Baritone Ukulele....Let us know what they say....MM Stan

Thanks for the welcome! I've been a visitor for years, just never had anything good to share until now. Thanks for all the feedback, I checked with the Martin Museum and I'm just waiting to hear back. I'll keep you updated with what they say.

Top Bottom