Possible electric soprano build

Nixon

Reaction score
After buying Pete's Firefly, the urge to build one myself has kicked in. I've watched all of Pete's Uklectic build videos on youtube and have read most the buildlogs on here and UC so have an idea of how to do it but would love any advice you guys have.

My plan at the moment is to base it off http://www.grellier.fr/divers/ukulele_en.pdf but make the body solid mahogany with a flamed maple top (have a pile in the workshop) with an underbridge pickup.

Know my way around most tools but am still a bit iffy with a spokeshave so will have a go of making a neck out of an offcut of cheap pine before trying it with hardwood.

Now for some questions:
1. Does anyone know where I can get some wood for the neck and body?
2. Is there a good UK distributor of luthiery stuff like stewmac?
3. What would be a good but cheap pickup?

That is all....for now ;)

My dad started last week so his is the one on the left while mine is being glued togeather (If Pete is reading this, I wiped the glue off after taking the picture)

img20110402182738.jpg

Tragically the scroll saw was set a tad too fast so the router template is a bit sloppy. They're only prototypes and you won't see the insides anyway so its not too bad.

Electric soprano build

Todays update:

Drilled out and routed my body. The template was a tad thin for the routers bearing so the routing went a bit iffy in a place or two. Suprisingly none f them were my fault, they all happened when my dad was showing me how to do it :eek:

Also bookmatched the flamed maple front. The flame isn't too pronounced but we didn't want to use a good piece on a prototype.

Great thread. Looking foward to seeing the results. :)

Top Bottom