PDA

View Full Version : Decided on my Kamaka Tenor :)

PedalFreak
02-28-2011, 09:00 AM
As many of you know, and have helped with, I've been looking for a Kamaka Tenor. I've decided on a special order with Kamaka :)

Been on the phone with them a bunch (great people btw :) ). I'm going to order a HF-3 with an Ebony fretboard & Bridge, maybe an Ebony headstock veneer. We are going to talk woods when I'm at the factory next week.

I'll post some details here after I order it, and then in approx. 4-5 weeks I'll post some photos of it :)

Thanks again for all the comments, suggestions and help from everyone!

janeray1940
02-28-2011, 09:11 AM
Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing it when it arrives.

Mandarb
02-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Congrats. I ordered my Kamaka from the factory last August and I love it. Look forward to some pics.

Uncle Leroy
02-28-2011, 09:23 AM
I bet it will be a stunner for sure.

dkcrown
02-28-2011, 09:40 AM
A very good decision pedalfreak. You will pay more than you would have had you bought one second hand, but you will end up with exactly what you want. Will you be able to pick out your wood sets when you are at the factory?

PedalFreak
02-28-2011, 10:13 AM
A very good decision pedalfreak. You will pay more than you would have had you bought one second hand, but you will end up with exactly what you want. Will you be able to pick out your wood sets when you are at the factory?

Not sure if I'll be able to pick out the woods or not. But I'm going to talk to them about that :)

This is what I finally decided. This is going to be my #1, my "lifelong ukulele", so I want it to have the specs that I want. So if it costs more it'll be ok :)

I'm going to try to talk them into doing a couple other options I have in mind. But since they aren't doing "customs" anymore I don't know if they'll fly or not. We shall see!

joeybug
02-28-2011, 11:57 AM
Congrats on making this decision and soon to be laying hands on a great Ukulele. Definately Kamaka fever going round UU, but for good reason!

molokinirum
02-28-2011, 12:42 PM
That's great!!!! Kamaka ukes are really awesome and you are gonna love it!!! Looking forward to the pictures!!!
Have fun in Hawaii!!!

mm stan
02-28-2011, 01:22 PM
As many of you know, and have helped with, I've been looking for a Kamaka Tenor. I've decided on a special order with Kamaka :)

Been on the phone with them a bunch (great people btw :) ). I'm going to order a HF-3 with an Ebony fretboard & Bridge, maybe an Ebony headstock veneer. We are going to talk woods when I'm at the factory next week.

I'll post some details here after I order it, and then in approx. 4-5 weeks I'll post some photos of it :

Thanks again for all the comments, suggestions and help from everyone!
Aloha PedalFreak,
Congratulations, and have a nice time while you're here..it's nice weather now...cool
sunny and beautiful...let us know how it goes..I'm sure this will be your holy grail ukulele.
Happy Stummings, Have fun and enjoy...MM Stan:):)

Coconut Willie
02-28-2011, 01:31 PM
That's great!! You picked a pretty good uke! This uke "should" keep the UAS at bay for a bit!!!

dip.mojica
02-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Thats awesome! I'm super jealous! post photos when you get it!

Snorky
02-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Congrats :) I'm sure you will have an amazing time writing your own kamaka story as i know i have!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-28-2011, 02:02 PM
in approx. 4-5 weeks I'll post some photos of it

They have that short of a turn around time?

Have a great time in Hawaii!

dkcrown
02-28-2011, 02:18 PM
They have that short of a turn around time?

Have a great time in Hawaii!

LOL Chuck! That's what happens when you have more than one elf making these things. :) Mahalo

sonicbaker
02-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Glad to hear about your decision..... You definitely won't regret it! Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Mandarb
03-01-2011, 03:06 AM
I'm going to try to talk them into doing a couple other options I have in mind. But since they aren't doing "customs" anymore I don't know if they'll fly or not. We shall see!

Kamaka will upgrade the koa wood. They will also upgrade to an ebony fretboard, bridge, and headstock faceplate. These options are called "specials". They will not upgrade binding, purfling, or rosette. Here is a link with an explanation.... http://www.kamakahawaii.com/specials.html

guitharsis
03-01-2011, 03:55 AM
Great choice! Looking forward to seeing your pics. Have a great time in Hawaii.

PedalFreak
03-01-2011, 04:01 AM
They will not upgrade binding, purfling, or rosette. Here is a link with an explaination.... http://www.kamakahawaii.com/specials.html

Spoke on the phone with them at length on this. They will be starting that up again :D I'll be talking with the guys on this when I get there.

Mandarb
03-01-2011, 04:18 AM
Spoke on the phone with them at length on this. They will be starting that up again :D I'll be talking with the guys on this when I get there.

Do you mean that they will be starting up custom work? I know that they had plans to start up again sometime this year.

PedalFreak
03-01-2011, 04:34 AM
Do you mean that they will be starting up custom work? I know that they had plans to start up again sometime this year.

I don't know about custom work. But they are extending what they will do on "Specials" :D

Mandarb
03-01-2011, 04:40 AM
I don't know about custom work. But they are extending what they will do on "Specials" :D

Good to know. Up to this point they have been very strict with what they do as far as "Specials" - following the guidelines I listed above. I am sure your uke will be great. I look foward to hearing about what you decide on and of course seeing some pics upon completion.

GX9901
03-01-2011, 06:04 AM
Say, would Kamaka add a couple more frets to the fretboard on a special order? I was playing Jake's Bohemian Rhapsody a couple of days ago on my HF-3 and ran out of frets in one section! If you're ordering a special, it might be worthwhile to have a couple more frets if possible.

GX9901
03-01-2011, 06:14 AM
Say, would Kamaka add a couple more frets to the fretboard on a special order? I was playing Jake's Bohemian Rhapsody a couple of days ago on my HF-3 and ran out of frets in one section! If you're ordering a special, it might be worthwhile to have a couple more frets if possible.

I looked at a picture of the HF-3 and I guess it's probably not possible to add more than maybe 1 fret, if even that, given the lack of space beyond fret 18 on its fretboard. So I guess my question is probably moot.

PedalFreak
03-01-2011, 07:26 AM

Jake's uke only have 18 frets too :)

janeray1940
03-01-2011, 07:33 AM
I was playing Jake's Bohemian Rhapsody a couple of days ago on my HF-3 and ran out of frets in one section!

Does Jake use harmonics for this? I ran into the same problem with a John King arrangement. I thought I needed a 19th fret but it turned out that the arrangement was indicating to play the harmonic at the 7th fret IIRC.

GX9901
03-01-2011, 07:44 AM
Jake's uke only have 18 frets too :)

You're right! I've never noticed that before. I guess I must be playing Bohemian Rhapsody wrong. I had always assumed he had like 22+ frets or something on his uke. :p

GX9901
03-01-2011, 07:50 AM
Does Jake use harmonics for this? I ran into the same problem with a John King arrangement. I thought I needed a 19th fret but it turned out that the arrangement was indicating to play the harmonic at the 7th fret IIRC.

I must have just learned it wrong. Either that or he was using some phantom frets (no actual fret but fretting on the soundboard itself). It didn't look like he was using harmonics, but obviously I didn't look close enough.

thejumpingflea
03-01-2011, 07:57 AM
I must have just learned it wrong. Either that or he was using some phantom frets (no actual fret but fretting on the soundboard itself). It didn't look like he was using harmonics, but obviously I didn't look close enough.

Which part are you referring to?

GX9901
03-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Which part are you referring to?

The end of the "Rock" part where you start from the 2nd fret and keep going up to the vicinity of the 18th fret or something. By "Rock", I'm breaking down BR like this: Intro -> Ballad -> Opera -> Rock -> Outro.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread.

UKISOCIETY
03-01-2011, 08:04 AM
The end of the "Rock" part where you start from the 2nd fret and keep going up to the vicinity of the 18th fret or something. By "Rock", I'm breaking down BR like this: Intro -> Ballad -> Opera -> Rock -> Outro.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread.

At his Louisville concert, he went way up on the body a few times, past the frets.

wickedwahine11
03-01-2011, 08:07 AM
Congrats on your new Kamaka order. I know you will live it. I look forward to your report and photos.

bueller
03-01-2011, 08:28 AM
I give you credit for doing it the right way all across the board. Heading to Hawaii - going to the factory - picking out your options. Nice work. Can't wait to see pictures!
Enjoy Hawaii - enough of this Chicago winter!

PedalFreak
03-01-2011, 08:41 AM
enough of this Chicago winter!

Ditto x10!

bueller
03-01-2011, 08:46 AM
Is it wrong I listen to Hawaiian music via Pandora at work all day?
I'm 110% envious of your trip.

molokinirum
03-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Is it wrong I listen to Hawaiian music via Pandora at work all day?
I'm 110% envious of your trip.

Hell no...I do it all the time!!!

philpot
03-01-2011, 11:43 AM
I'm jealous! I emailed them and asked about a couple things for specials... I would love to get an HF-2 with a pickup and custom inlay work (which they said they would do) but I don't think I'll be able to restrain myself once I get enough to buy a used one xD I suppose I'll have to wait to get "custom" work until I get a job and save up for a tenor ;)

PedalFreak
03-01-2011, 12:08 PM
I'm jealous! I emailed them and asked about a couple things for specials... I would love to get an HF-2 with a pickup and custom inlay work (which they said they would do) but I don't think I'll be able to restrain myself once I get enough to buy a used one xD I suppose I'll have to wait to get "custom" work until I get a job and save up for a tenor ;)

I've got to hold off on the pickup right now. But when I'm ready it'll make a trip back to Hawaii for Kamaka to install a pickup :)

dsummers
03-05-2011, 12:46 AM
I just got a Kamaka pineapple concert neck with ebony fretboard, bridge, headstock and spruce top and pick-up. Here's what I think about it- I just ordered a Kamaka tenor with the same specs!

dkcrown
03-05-2011, 01:49 AM
I just got a Kamaka pineapple concert neck with ebony fretboard, bridge, headstock and spruce top and pick-up. Here's what I think about it- I just ordered a Kamaka tenor with the same specs!

Would love to see some pics of that pineapple, dsummers.

janeray1940
03-05-2011, 05:20 AM

dsummers, you have the Kamaka longneck pineapple?? Talk to me about it! Can you post pics? A sound sample?

I asked about them a while back here (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?37878-ever-see-a-Kamaka-HP1-L-long-neck-pineapple)and got some less than positive feedback re: intonation issues and appearance. Since these are impossible to see in person before ordering (the Kamaka factory does not keep one on hand), it made me back away from buying one.

But it sounds like you love yours! So please, tell me more. Mahalo!

PedalFreak
03-05-2011, 08:45 AM
I'd love to see how the ebony headstock looks on your Pineapple too!

Leaving for Hawaii at 7am Central time Sunday :D

wickedwahine11
03-05-2011, 10:31 AM
I'd love to see how the ebony headstock looks on your Pineapple too!

Leaving for Hawaii at 7am Central time Sunday :D

Have fun...hope you are able to check out the Kamoa cases. They didn't have them yet when I was in Kauai yesterday. :(

PedalFreak
03-05-2011, 10:37 AM
Have fun...hope you are able to check out the Kamoa cases. They didn't have them yet when I was in Kauai yesterday. :(

Did you happen to see a KoAloha D-VI anywhere? I'd like to try one of those out :)

wickedwahine11
03-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Did you happen to see a KoAloha D-VI anywhere? I'd like to try one of those out :)

I think they have one at Aloha Ukulele in the Kalia tower of the Hilton Hawaiian Village - it was there last week. I normally would never consider their prices but they did have some ukes marked down and I think that might have been one of them.