Thank you Bugs Bunny! The real source for my love of 1920s music...

Total Ukphoria

Reaction score
At an early age, there was a wonderful bunny that taught me some of the best music ever written. Thanks Bugs!

Ain't She Sweet
Someone's rocking my Dreamboat
Charleston (Sylvester sang this one, and it's my home town!:D)
Hello Ma baby (Frog style)

I know there are a lot more!

"Michigan Rag!!!"

Yes, we all owe a debt to Bugs. Not only did he teach me 20s music, but he taught me comic timing. "Ohhh, Margaret!"

hahaha! I just looked up the frog on youtube last nite!

"Michigan Rag!!!"

Did you know that that is not a "genuine" old-time song, but was actually written for the cartoon? (One of the writers being director/animator Chuck Jones.)

Anyone remember the cartoon with the chicken/rooster guy who would sing, "Shake a leg bone, come with me. Down to Nashville, Tennessee?" I think he was even playing a ukulele. Pretty sure it was a Warner Brother cartoon, but I don't think it was a Bugs Bunny one. Maybe Daffy...

JJ

P.S. And let's not forget all the classical music we all learned about thanks to the old Warner Brothers cartoon. Rabbit of Seville? What's Opera, Doc?

Everything I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny.

Did you know that that is not a "genuine" old-time song, but was actually written for the cartoon? (One of the writers being director/animator Chuck Jones.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_Rag

I got to meet Chuck Jones once in 1996. He was in an art gallery selling original cels from the 1995 cartoon, "Another Froggy Evening." I bought a cel of Michigan J. Frog singing in front of his box, and he signed it. Incidentally, he mentioned that he came up with the idea for the Road Runner cartoons while driving from Albuquerque to Santa Fe. He thought the desert and the mountains in the background were beautiful, and he wanted to make cartoons in which he could include them.

As for much of the other music that accompanied Warner Brothers cartoons, we have to thank the great Carl Stalling.

Everything I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny.

Elmer: "Oh Bwunhillllda, you are so wuvvvewy!"

Bugs: "Yes I knoooow it, I can't helllp it!"

<3 Bugs

http://froggyeve.tripod.com/intro.html

I got to here Leon Redbone do "Please Don't Talk About Me" live in a little theater about a mile from my home. He has played there 3 times. (I was there every time!) The incredible thing is I live in a town of less than 10,000 people. If you like that era, pick up some Leon!!!

I got to here Leon Redbone do "Please Don't Talk About Me" live in a little theater about a mile from my home. He has played there 3 times. (I was there every time!) The incredible thing is I live in a town of less than 10,000 people. If you like that era, pick up some Leon!!!

Yes, oh yes! Leon is fabulous! Tuba and ukuleles! His version of Ain't Misbehavin' is my absolute favorite. His smooth, relaxed baritone melts me. Definite kicked back lazy day music.

Singing in the Bathtub

http://doctoruke.com/aintmisbehavin.pdf

Leon in amazing. I have him as a Pandora station and it's really great for eazing into your day. Ain't Misbehavin' comes on in various versions all the time. I found the Tabs provided At the Dr. Uke Site and I hope to make some sense of it over the next few weeks.

Looney Toons is a great American institution that even the guy from Italy I work with knows the toons. At 38 they are still funny.

Leon is amazing - Seen him many times.

Look, the reason Bugs had great music is because of Warner Brothers' 7 Arts music library; they didn't have to pay any royalties to use the best popular music of the day. That's why Disney, MGM and Fleischer cartoons don't have anywhere near the amount of popular music in them.

If you want to get your hands on it, Warner Music still issues music from their library in big guitar anthologies from the 20's, 30's, 40's etc. Just go down to your local music store and get like 100 tunes in one $20 volume.

I saw Leon for the eighth time back on March 24th. I can't get enough of him. His piano player Paul is an incredible talent. If you call my cell phone you will be serenaded with "Shine on Harvest Moon" while you wait for me to answer.

BTW talking about Bugs. Love the old stuff but the more recent Bugs were great too. His cartoons with Martin the Martian are classics. "Earthlings, prepare to die!"

Look, the reason Bugs had great music is because of Warner Brothers' 7 Arts music library; they didn't have to pay any royalties to use the best popular music of the day. That's why Disney, MGM and Fleischer cartoons don't have anywhere near the amount of popular music in them.

If you want to get your hands on it, Warner Music still issues music from their library in big guitar anthologies from the 20's, 30's, 40's etc. Just go down to your local music store and get like 100 tunes in one $20 volume.

Yes. Those weird Raymond Scott tunes that Carl Stalling kept inserting into Looney Tune soundtracks were big sellers in the late '30s. Great, now you've got me wondering if SheetMusicPlus.com has the music for "Powerhouse"...

Elmer: "Oh Bwunhillllda, you are so wuvvvewy!"

Bugs: "Yes I knoooow it, I can't helllp it!"

<3 Bugs
Hahahahahaha- The unfortunate lot that ends up in my classroom- this is our brain break! "It is time to kill the WABBBBBBBIIIITTTTTT"

Top Bottom