Miking questions!

andreavmusic

Reaction score
I'm playing the uke in the talent show at my school and since I don't have an acoustic-electric I will need to mic it. How should I set it up to get the best sound?

Thanks!

Your mic needs to be close enough to pick up the uke properly, but not so close that you can hit it with right hand. If you are close enough to hit it, you will. About a foot away. It also depends on what sort of mic you are using and how powerful the PA is.

I played at last year's Wine Country Fest without a pick-up. It worked out OK. The guy on the desk know what he was doing and didn't fiddle too much. Make sure that whoever is controlling your sound desk doesn't play around with the controls while you are performing.

Ok im not sure who this is in the pic *just a random google search*, but this is generally the best/easiest way.
606597361_0010d1fc7d.jpg

mic on a boom stand angled at the uke pointed near the soundhole/bridge.
hope this helps

A good rule of thumb to remember is that putting a mic too close to the sound hole is going to be a bit boomy, not that you can't or shouldn't use that if need be. The thing about uke is it's so small that little movements make huge differences. Experiment with the mic fixed in your favorite "sweet spot" then move the uke around and see what different tones are available, and use them wherever appropriate. You'll find yourself moving in and out depending on if you're strumming hard or fingerpicking, closer for soloing, whatever. It's what I miss now that I'm plugged in. I use a volume pedal for solos now!

Top Bottom