Fretting the G7, E7, Fm6, & similar chords

rnewton75

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm going through Uncle Rod's Bootcamp and I really like that the chord charts tell you the placement of each finger. But on chords like G7 & E7 it has one finger fretting 2 strings on the same fret with an open string in between. I may be reading it wrong but it looks like I may need to develop 2 extra joints in a couple of fingers to do this. Any guidance?

He he, - I did never notice that.

For me it's natural to use 1, 2 & 3d finger. Same pattern during my guitar days.

Maybe a printie?

The numbers are actually the fret numbers, not what fingers to use.
It got much easier for me when I figured that one out.

G7 is 0212 (frets) which would be played:
finger 2 string 3 fret 2
finger 1 string 2 fret 1
finger 3 string 1 fret 2

E7 is 1202
f1 s4 f1
f2 s3 f2
f3 s1 f2

You'll get the hang of it, just be patient and it'll come soon enough.

I too, thought the G chord was difficult in the beginning but, about a week later my fingers just naturally formed the chord and now it's one of the easier chords I can do. Bb is a hard one for me!...

Hey there rnewton75.

I'm also working on the key of C boot camp practice sheet. What cb56 says is correct. The number above the chord chart represent fret numbers, NOT finger numbers. I was relieved when I realized this.

But then I still wanted to know what the "suggested" fingerings were for some of these chords, so I found this very nice chart.

It has finger numbers, not fret numbers. Don't be afraid to adapt and make it yours. But do use it to give you ideas on how to approach these things. I even got a PM from Uncle Rod about landing the Fm6 that was invaluable!

The Boot Camp has been really great for me so far, especially for my pinky strength. I've made great progress even in a week.

Keep at it!

You'll get the hang of it, just be patient and it'll come soon enough.

I too, thought the G chord was difficult in the beginning but, about a week later my fingers just naturally formed the chord and now it's one of the easier chords I can do. Bb is a hard one for me!...

Same uke same problem w/ Bb but I am getting better after each practice. I find going over each page four times each, 3x, 2x, and then one helps speed up the learning curve.

Seems like you've got the advice you needed, just wanted to say, I still have problems with Bb and that damn E chord and I've been playing for just over 6 months...keep at it, eventually it becomes second nature (or so I'm told!)

Top Bottom