Recognize this uke??

Kmetzger

Reaction score
I'm curious what type of ukulele Taylor Swift is playing in this photo - capture from a recent performance of her in Singapore found on youtube. (I'm more interested in the ukulele than in her, actually. No offense to Taylor Swift fans...)

Click on the photo to see it larger:
Taylor Swift on Uke.jpg

Unfortunately the headstock wasn't that visible throughout the video. That's what's making it tough to identify.

But the shape of the sound hole and the inlay around it seems quite unique. That's what I thought might tip someone off.

Taylor guitars has been working on an uke.

Where did you hear this? If it's true, as a loyal Taylor guitar fan, this is very exciting news!

Where did you hear this? If it's true, as a loyal Taylor guitar fan, this is very exciting news!

I work for one of the larger Taylor dealers and a rep told us this. Actually, I've got a photo I took somewhere, of a stack of Koa with Ukulele bodies traced out on them. 2 stacks of AMAZING looking koa about 4 feet high, and 4 feet wide! He told me they were making some prototypes and plan to release one. Rumor was it may have been released at the last NAMM show, but never did. So maybe summer namm?

But Taylor actually sells a lot of the Koa they buy to the hawaiian ukulele makers :) Bob Taylor is close friends with some of the families on Hawaii where koa comes from so he gets a lot of VERY nice koa!

I work for one of the larger Taylor dealers and a rep told us this. Actually, I've got a photo I took somewhere, of a stack of Koa with Ukulele bodies traced out on them. 2 stacks of AMAZING looking koa about 4 feet high, and 4 feet wide! He told me they were making some prototypes and plan to release one. Rumor was it may have been released at the last NAMM show, but never did. So maybe summer namm?

But Taylor actually sells a lot of the Koa they buy to the hawaiian ukulele makers :) Bob Taylor is close friends with some of the families on Hawaii where koa comes from so he gets a lot of VERY nice koa!

So excited! I'll have to ask my Taylor rep about this! I want one!

So excited! I'll have to ask my Taylor rep about this! I want one!

Last time I asked (about January) they said they don't have one planned. Maybe they are working out every detail. Bob has also been working on a "True Classical" guitar. So maybe they've pushed it to the back for now, I hope not though!

So what was the anwer? Is Taylor def. getting into ukulele? I'm dying to know!!!

So what was the anwer? Is Taylor def. getting into ukulele? I'm dying to know!!!

Nothing is definite yet :) But they've been talking about it, and reportedly working on it. So I'd guess eventually.

Last I heard was that there would be 2 models, one in the $999 price range, the other around $1599.

Just a quick update on this...yesterday I found myself on the phone with my Taylor rep discussing a customer's special order. At the end of the conversation I mentioned that I had heard rumors that Taylor would be getting into the ukulele business. I asked if there was any truth to it...his response: "Of course."

They've been working on it for about 2 years now but keep getting sidetracked by other products (most recently the GS Mini). He stressed that Bob (Taylor) will not put anything out until it is worthy of the Taylor name...they weren't going to just jump on the ukulele bandwagon until they had a great instrument. He is hopeful that it will be released by the end of this year. He did think they might have a prototype somewhere but wasn't positive. He's supposed to stop by for the Taylor Roadshow in a month or two and he promised if he could find a prototype, he'd bring it for me to check out.

Top Bottom