Win a Fender Uke autographed by Train

PhilUSAFRet

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Last edited:
Ohh interesting! It's not only a cool contest, but you find out exactly what ukulele they use. Nice link :)

I like free stuff more than anybody, but I'll pass on this one.:uhoh:

Thanks for sharing!:cheers:

Second prize is two ukuleles autographed by Train.

:biglaugh:

JJ

I don't think that dude believes the uke is an instrument, even with the success it gave that song. He doesn't give the dude that told him to switch to a uke any credit, and seems smug with the uke. He def. has that "guitar superiority" feeling towards the uke.. ah i hate that. "Ah I don't know.. pick that one I guess.." Referring to how he carefully came to his instrument of choice........

Guess all uke players aren't so friendly.

Not sure this is the best site for sarcasm, too many folks here who love thier ukes, regardless of which ones they own. Would hope you can respect that.

I don't think that dude believes the uke is an instrument, even with the success it gave that song. He doesn't give the dude that told him to switch to a uke any credit, and seems smug with the uke. He def. has that "guitar superiority" feeling towards the uke.. ah i hate that. "Ah I don't know.. pick that one I guess.." Referring to how he carefully came to his instrument of choice........

I agree. Ukulele going mainstream has a dark side. What bugs me more then anything is people like him jump on the bandwagon to be cool, but they don't even bother learning how to play beyond strumming chords with a pick -.-

That said, I actually kinda like that band, and its a pretty sexy uke. I threw my lot into the sweepstakes ^.^ thanks for posting!

The way I see it, this song (the uke he used is irrelevant) has promoted ukuleles in general. Because of it, we have more new ukers....period! Most of them will graduate to different musical styles, and different ukes. Lots of new ukers aren't "traditionalists", so we may as well get used to it. Our sport is growing! Long live ukuleles!!!!!!!

Not sure this is the best site for sarcasm, too many folks here who love thier ukes, regardless of which ones they own. Would hope you can respect that.

A little sarcasm adds spice to the chat, IMHO. :rock:

Definitely, if someone took a shot at Jake S., the conversation would get pretty well heated on the forums.

The way I see it, this song (the uke he used is irrelevant) has promoted ukuleles in general. Because of it, we have more new ukers....period!

I agree. We all tend to rag on Train, mostly because "Hey Soul Sister" is ubiquitous to the point of cliche these days. We used to all rag on Jason Mraz for a similar reason:

:mraz: <--- The forum even has a smiley for him.

But despite the band playing it, and regardless of the merits of song it's used on, anything that inspires people to start making music instead of merely consuming it is okay in my book.

I'm not at all worried about the uke "going mainstream". Will it result in more uke-playing hipster d-bags running around? Sure. But there have been guitar-playing hipster d-bags for decades and that instrument survived it all just fine.

(Besides, if I still want to feel non-conformist and "alt", that's what my accordion is for. It will never, ever be hip... :cool: )

JJ

A little sarcasm adds spice to the chat, IMHO. :rock:

Definitely, if someone took a shot at Jake S., the conversation would get pretty well heated on the forums.

Not if it hurts the feelings of someone who loves those Fender ukes....just sayin!

I agree. We all tend to rag on Train, mostly because "Hey Soul Sister" is ubiquitous to the point of cliche these days. We used to all rag on Jason Mraz for a similar reason:

JJ

I agree about the whole ragging thing. Just because they have one hit that may or may not be cliche, it doesn't mean they are a bad artist. Jason Mraz is one of my favorite singers ever, but I'm Yours got a little old. Train has a lot of good stuff like Drops of Jupiter :)

But despite the band playing it, and regardless of the merits of song it's used on, anything that inspires people to start making music instead of merely consuming it is okay in my book.

I'm not at all worried about the uke "going mainstream". Will it result in more uke-playing hipster d-bags running around? Sure. But there have been guitar-playing hipster d-bags for decades and that instrument survived it all just fine.

(Besides, if I still want to feel non-conformist and "alt", that's what my accordion is for. It will never, ever be hip... :cool: )

JJ

Yeah, I agree. I don't care about being conformist or non-conformist. Neither has any appeal for me. Just like having fun with the music and seeing what else I can do with it.

Also, ukuleles and guitars aren't enemies. Just some people want to make it that way. Jam sessions are more fun when both instruments are present.

I started reading this post yesterday and found myself sympathizing with all posters on this topic.
I started thinking about the many times in the past coupla years, during an afternoon of television watching, I would jerk up in my seat, during a commercial for a car manufacturer, or a healthy food product, and find myself saying, "Ukulele! right there, hear it? Ukulele, whistling, and tambourine!"
I would say this is in the same tone of a grandparent or older Uncle bemoaning the changing of the times, and the world going to hell in a handbasket.
And to whom would I exhort this? My girlfriend, a parent, the dog-who all appreciate music and ukulele, but what was my point? Really?
I've known for a little while that I have become possessive of my love for uke, and conceive that there are bastardizations of its' beauty occurring around me.
And, I have long had a problem with ad agencies trying to sell me stuff.

So, Train.
I briefly did not hate the "Drops of Jupiter" song way back in 2001, but it was played a lot, and with lines like "the best soy latte that you ever had"....
by then, I'd read Kerouac's "On the Road" and was familiar with Joseph Cambell and the Hero's Journey and had even been in "Pippin", so I knew that songs which deal with self-discovery should never point to non-dairy espresso drinks.
Or Tae-Bo.

So, "Soul Sister."
I hated this song before I ever heard it.
Mainly because I had heard that it involved ukulele, a reference to Mister Mister, and was, well, by Train.
I'd like to think the band members are all decent human beings who want the best for everybody in life, but I believe that their overlords want money, and so they construct a song in a laboratory; so many beats per minute, a catchy hook, that "Hey -ey A -A-A-A-A" deal.
And then somebody says, "Hey, throw in an ukulele, those are trending right now."

And the song goes huge.
And then it pops up in commercials. Again. And Again.

I hear it and again someone is trying to sell me something that I don't want to buy.
I love music and think that everybody should play and sing whatever they want to.
But I feel like Train is forcing itself on me.

Like a Sigma Chi on an Alpha Gamma at a frat party in 2001.
And I'm the Alpha Gamma saying, "No!, just because all the people around this keg talk, act, dress, and think the same, doesn't mean that I am too. I'm different. I'm special. Leave me alone. Do your Jager shots with someone else.
In fact, this keg party is pretty lame.
I don't even know what I'm doing here. I really need to do some soul searching, find out who I am. I'm going to go walk down to the lake.
Maybe talk this over with my sorority sister, the one who listens...my soul sister.
And so I leave the party with the faint strains of "Drops of Jupiter" dissipating behind me.

Fortunately, most of my social circle is about the same age as me, and when I pull out my uke, I will not be berated into playing "Soul Sister."
Or Jason Mraz.

I digress.
The main thing is, it's pretty amazing that there are people who feel so strongly about ukuleles and music and that there is Ukulele Underground.
Because, where else can I go to enter contests where I might win a free ukulele?
And where would I ever find any other place to vent about this where I might be understood?

On December 25, 2009 Two and a Half Men actor Charlie Sheen was arrested on charges of domestic violence against his wife Brooke Mueller. According to Us Magazine their Christmas Day brawl was caused by this song. Sheen allegedly told police that he and his daughter share a love for Drops of Jupiter, which angered Mueller. She lashed out, "You have a song [that] you share with your daughter, but not one with me?" which ignited the fight. Patrick Monahan responded to the news on Twitter, "I'm pretty sure that Drops of Jupiter is a positive part of Charlie Sheen and his daughter's relationship. Just gonna look at it that way."

Good luck to all who enter the contest.

Great Thread... btw... I've been seoulsister LONG before the song ever came out. I think I need to put that in my sig.

Thanks for the head's up. I liked both the song, and my Fender Pa'ina.

EDIT: I've been wanting to try out the video on the new MacBook Pro and though this would be a good chance to do so. Here's a short video of my Pa'ina. It's not nearly as refined an instrument as the higher end stuff out there, but I've had no trouble with it as a gigging instrument. It gets plenty of play time around the house as well...it's a very fun 'uke to play.

Fender Pa'ina Video

Last edited:
Top Bottom