Daily Ukulele Mar 2nd 2011

joeybug

Reaction score
Good Morning everyone :D

Page Number: 184
Song: On The Beach At Waikiki

Inspiration:

Cool song :D

Love that song, and you found a brilliant rendition of it!

JJ

Good uke tune, thanks Joey.
DAP

Another cool selection, Joey, and a very interesting video. Do you think there's a forum for people who play that contraption he plays at the beginning of the song?

but is there a video of you playing it?

Nope, I do a different challenge for myself on my blog (link in my sig)

Good uke tune, thanks Joey.
DAP

Glad you liked it, it was a cool vid!

Another cool selection, Joey, and a very interesting video. Do you think there's a forum for people who play that contraption he plays at the beginning of the song?

I don't even know what it is, looks like he's just playing air!

I don't even know what it is, looks like he's just playing air!

The video identifies the first instrument played as a theremin. I did a little research. The theremin was invented by a Russian physicist named Lev Sergeivich Termen, who was known in the West as Léon Theremin. Here's more from Wikipedia: "The theremin is almost unique among musical instruments in that it is played without physical contact. The musician stands in front of the instrument and moves his or her hands in the proximity of two metal antennas. The distance from one antenna determines frequency (pitch), and the distance from the other controls amplitude (volume). Most frequently, the right hand controls the pitch and the left controls the volume, although some performers reverse this arrangement. Some low-cost theremins use a conventional, knob operated volume control and have only the pitch antenna. While commonly called antennas, they are not used for receiving or broadcasting radio frequency, but act as plates in a capacitor."

It turns out there ARE websites devoted to theremin players. ThereminWorld.com reminds me a little of UU.

The video identifies the first instrument played as a theremin. I did a little research. The theremin was invented by a Russian physicist named Lev Sergeivich Termen, who was known in the West as Léon Theremin. Here's more from Wikipedia: "The theremin is almost unique among musical instruments in that it is played without physical contact. The musician stands in front of the instrument and moves his or her hands in the proximity of two metal antennas. The distance from one antenna determines frequency (pitch), and the distance from the other controls amplitude (volume). Most frequently, the right hand controls the pitch and the left controls the volume, although some performers reverse this arrangement. Some low-cost theremins use a conventional, knob operated volume control and have only the pitch antenna. While commonly called antennas, they are not used for receiving or broadcasting radio frequency, but act as plates in a capacitor."

It turns out there ARE websites devoted to theremin players. ThereminWorld.com reminds me a little of UU.

You learn something new everyday!

Top Bottom