PDA

View Full Version : Pono-MT review

musicman222
03-02-2011, 04:19 AM
I am currently waiting for my new Pono MT to arrive. I was wondering if anybody has anything to say, good or bad, about these ukuleles. Any feedback would be great.
Thanks.

mm stan
03-02-2011, 04:47 AM
Aloha Musicman222,
Welcome to the UU and our forums and congratulation on the new Pono.....have fun and enjoy...as for your Pono, go to then video and links and check out Eugene Ukulele in the video and links section..a song called..."being around" post..he's playing his Pono...Happy Strummings..MM Stan

Mouthy1
03-02-2011, 08:40 AM
I just one last week. I absolutely love Pono's and the Tenor didn't dissappoint. The frets are pretty sharp on the edges is my only gripe but the sound, action and look are outstanding. I have a wound C string on and I actually really like it. It has Worth Clears on it and I will keep it that way. Good purchase.

oolee
03-02-2011, 08:45 AM
Had one and loved it...reviewed an MHT....search the reviews for Pono MHT, similar besides the finish.
BEST uke to experiment with strings on. It responds really well to diff string types, changes tone easily, really easy to restring, solid construction. Love em.

danged
03-02-2011, 12:17 PM
The MT/MTDX is a great entry level model ukulele, all solid mahogany and it's hard to match the quality of the fit and finish on these instruments. Along with the quality of this instrument, the sound is very rich and warm with good projection. To top if all off, the price of these 'Ukulele's are less than many of it's competitors "Made in China" models. Ko'olau has done a great job with their current line up of 'Ukulele's, can't wait until their new Rosewood and Bamboo models are available. And of course a full line of Slotted head Tenor's available to the average consumer.

The Pono's come pre-strung with Ko'olau Mahana strings with a wound C string, these strings look like the Worth Clears. They also have a Alohi string which is fluorocarbon with a slight Purple tint, which produces a brighter sound. Ko'olau is not scared of putting 2 wound steel strings on their Pono ukes, as they quite often come pre-strung from Ko'olau.

musicman222
03-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Thanks everybody for your imput. I can't wait to get it in my hands. I will let you know how it works out and give you all my own review.

musicman222
03-19-2011, 05:44 AM
Hey everybody,
Just wanted to say that my new Pono-MT is great. Not to bad for the money. I did change the strings out to Aquilas because I didn't like the factory Ko'olau strings. They have the wound C and I found that it drowned out the remaining strings. It's a well made instrument and it arrived in a Ko'olau hard shell case. I believe they don't come with anymore. I found a couple minor flaws in the finish but nothing that affects the tone. I would recomend this instrument to anybody who is looking to purchase.

ombracorta
03-20-2011, 11:46 AM
Hey everybody,
Just wanted to say that my new Pono-MT is great. Not to bad for the money. I did change the strings out to Aquilas because I didn't like the factory Ko'olau strings. They have the wound C and I found that it drowned out the remaining strings. It's a well made instrument and it arrived in a Ko'olau hard shell case. I believe they don't come with anymore. I found a couple minor flaws in the finish but nothing that affects the tone. I would recomend this instrument to anybody who is looking to purchase.

I don't love Ko'olau strings too, they are too hard and I'm not a faun of the wound C. Does it sound better with Aquilas?
Thanks

lookingforcurly
03-20-2011, 01:43 PM
I did not like Aquilas at all on my Pono MT-E. Ko'olau Mahanas (low G) seemed to work best of the 5 strings sets I tried.

jstevensss
04-14-2011, 07:03 AM
Just picked up an Pono MTD from mgm on ebay. I really love the thing. Not sure of the stings to be honest except that I'm not a fan on this uke. Strung low g. This thing is head and shoulders above my son's Lanakai A/E tenor (which is nice too). I just can't put it down. Here's the ebay link. No endorsement of "Music Guy Mike" intended. He has been good to me, however. It seemed like a pretty good price to me $329.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=370498118406&si=n5LNa09u8Wx78Uhv3PX3OCeJ7f8%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBDIX%3AIT

The Pono is a nice step to a higher quality uke and seems right for me at this point in time. Very satisfied.

My $0.02

/jim

Mouthy1
04-14-2011, 07:08 AM
Looks like the standard Koolau golds with a random Aquila C string? Worth Clears sound great on them and I also love the new Koolau Alohi's. They are very nice on your fingers and have a nice bright openness to them. Better than Aquila's but very similar only without the pain in your fingers.

mketom
04-14-2011, 09:52 AM
Ditto on the comments about Ko'olau Alohi strings. Much easier on my fingers than the out-of-production Golds. And brighter. The Mahanas are warmer.

Mouthy1
04-14-2011, 10:46 AM
The Alohi's sound like better Aquila's. Same type of sound but better and super soft on the fingers. I just ordered another set for a soprano I like em so much.

jstevensss
04-14-2011, 03:14 PM
Yeah, just got Ko'olau Alohi's for my concert (low G). I'm no string expert but they feel and sound great to a relative newbie like me. BTW, I probably spoke out of turn when I said the Pono is "head and shoulders over my son's Lanikai A/E tenor." The Lanikai is actually a nice playing uke as set up. I just like the feel of the Pono better. No disrespect intended...;-)

bluechip
11-15-2016, 12:54 PM
beautiful, great set-up from MIM and fantastic voice