Opinion on Cutaway Ukuleles?

The Pohster

Reaction score
What is the general opinion? Minor advantages and minor setbacks?
Does it take away from the look?.
Thanks,
:spam:

I don't like the way they look, a definite deal killer along with any dreaded abalone trim.<shudder>

I have an 8 string cutaway and IMO, it's basically eye candy. Some like 'em and some don't. Besides, it was my first uke after not playing for, let's just say awhile.

IMG_2991.jpg

Like any uke it depends on the individual one. Most cutaways I hate, but this one which I own by Ohana looks the bees knees, and loses something when it doesn't have the cutaway... The flamming on the one I got is insane (these are just stock photo's).

mod_r.jpgmod_f.jpg

What I'm really waiting for though is for someone to go wild and get the first ever custom Gibson SG shape acoustic uke. Reckon that would look wild and be pretty individual in the uke world...

I like the look of cutaway ukes and it makes lower frets easier to reach which is a bonus. But its all opinion based so each to their own.

My opinion

A love for the ukulele has risen in recent years, and that love reaches beyond the ears and the eyes especially. Generally, models with more traditional designs that look more "vintage", are the most preferred. It's almost like something from a new kind of cult culture: in most countries (especially in third world's most populous), the ukulele is still unknown and creates some degree of differentiation of access to culture.
Some brands avoid to make ukulele models with cutaway body, as is the case of Koaloha, even though a solution to feedback problems with pickups. The solution for them was the tenor for the manufacture of the "Thinline" tenor model, thinner, with less feedback and no cutaway. Other models with cutaway generally has fewer problems with pickups (Ohana, Mainland, Mele), who plays acoustic guitar with pickup knows the story of the feedback.

More than the sound, the ukulele is an aesthetic style.

At least that's what I think as an anthropologist ukulele player....

Last edited:
The extra few frets can be useful if you are a great player, but I think most people buy them for the look.

I bought mine for the extra fret access (I'm not saying I'm a great player though :) ), but on the concert sizes it can be a dog if you want to hold a chord shape up in the cloud section of the uke. My Mainland does however look pretty just the way it is =D

I am with the consensus so far - not a fan of cutaways. But if you like one with a cutaway - go for it.

I love all ukes, including cutaways. I even plan on putting a pickguard on my "blues" uke, just for the aesthetics. To paraphraze Andrew Zimmern on Bizarre Foods, "if it looks good an sounds good to you, play it."

I think a cutaway helps with upper frets access if the neck is joined at the 12th fret, but since most ukes I have are joined at the 14th fret, it hasn't been something I've needed. I do think on some ukes they work very well in terms of looks:

This Maccafferi guitar look-alike practically required a cutaway:
DSC_7479.jpg

Many solid body ukes look better with a cutaway IMHO:
DSC02761.JPG

Wouldn't normally go for a cutaway and my first four Ukes are "traditional" shape, but my next Uke is a cutaway, not buying it for the look more for what it has and can do! Came highly recommended to me :D

I personally like the traditional look....wasted time making them and additional cost....

I like the traditional look as well. With a cutaway you not only pay more but you are getting less ukulele. :)
Of couse, I do have "the James Hill Wedgie" on my DaSilva.

I like the "James Hill Wedgie" too!

BoatPaddle's M-style cutaway looks nice too.

I have one cutaway and two non cutaway. Love 'em all!

Top Bottom