Ukulele orchestra with kids and boat paddle ukes

Doug W

Reaction score
I have been searching on this site and Google to try to find this with no luck. There was a link posted by someone of a guy doing a uke orchestra for kids with better than usual results. It looked like they were all playing boat paddle style ukes.

Anybody else know what I am talking about? Can you steer me in the right directions?

Thanks,
Doug

Are you thinking of the Langley Ukulele Ensemble? It's comprised of students from the Langley School District in British Columbia. The director of the LUE is Peter Luongo.
Here's a photo of the LUE in 2004, when almost all the ukuleles they used were shaped like flukes.

attachment.php

And here's a video from 2009.

The group was featured in the documentary "Mighty Uke." In this trailer for the film, the LEU appears from 1:38 to 1:58.

Last edited:
mds725,

Not positive if that is the video that I was thinking of but it is a great sounding group. I really needed to show someone in town what could be done with a uke group and this video of the Langely uke ensemble does the trick.

A group in town just got approved to buy 30 ukuleles and between my wife and myself, we will lead the group I guess.

Thanks for your help,
Doug

Doug, the ukes that they have that look like flukes are the Canadian ones started by J Chalmers Doane. They have three small soundholes. I hope to see you again at UWC 2011. Maybe your wife, too.

You can get a laminated concert scale uke based on the Chalmers uke at Empire Music (from Canada).
It's called "The Triumph", is laminated, with choice of geared or friction tuners, and is inexpensive but fun.

Steve,

Thanks for the info. It is unlikely that I will make the UWC this year as our family is traveling to Israel and then France. This trip will be followed by months of poverty. But I will do my best to get there.

Doug

Doug, the ukes that they have that look like flukes are the Canadian ones started by J Chalmers Doane. They have three small soundholes. I hope to see you again at UWC 2011. Maybe your wife, too.

Thanks harpdog,
I will check those out.

You can get a laminated concert scale uke based on the Chalmers uke at Empire Music (from Canada).
It's called "The Triumph", is laminated, with choice of geared or friction tuners, and is inexpensive but fun.

Top Bottom