PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me to determine the age of my ukulele?

Lollyb
03-02-2011, 03:23 PM
I was recently given a Ukulele and i am trying to figure out how old it is and whether or not it is actually worth something. It was made by King's Musical Instument Company. It says that it is a K Brand and is a model #5. The case looks vintage and inside the case the was also a pamphlet that teaches you how to play along with an accompanying vinyl record that helps you to tune the ukulele. If any can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated

RyanMFT
03-02-2011, 03:31 PM
We would need to see some pictures to help out. A picture of the whole front and the whole back of the uke, as well as a picture of the headstock would help to narrow it down.

mm stan
03-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Aloha LollyB,
Welcome to the UU and our forums..have fun and enjoy...do you have pictures.. it may have been made in taiwan...http://www.tikiking.com/uke_db/Kingdb.html
Happy strummings..MM Stan

Teek
03-02-2011, 11:39 PM
Welcome to UU! You will find a wealth of resources and lots of nice people.

"Maid" in Taiwan, lol, and I'm wondering how exactly they are referred to as a K brand? "K"s are usually Kamaka, Ko'aloha and Kanile'a as the top three. Then Ko'olau and Keli'i. Kamaka is the King of the Ks.

It doesn't matter what it is, if it has four strings, and a decent action it should be a great starter uke until you find one better, and then one better than that, etc. I have an old vintage uke I just got off eBay recently that looks 40s and has a big ol crack in the back, no 12th fret and bumpy bar frets. I love it, it's got spunk!

Except for it shoots down the getting "better" ukes as you go theory, but I figure it best reflects my ability well!