Ukulele strumming alternatives

BioSim

Reaction score
First off, I'm new to the Ukulele and this forum, so hi :)

Second, I didn't see another thread on this topic (although I'm sure I missed it) so feel free to delete this thread if necessary.

I just had a question concerning strumming on an Uke; is it completely unheard of to use a pick, and if not, what would be a good pick choice? I've been trying to strum with my fingers, but I'm more used to playing a guitar, so using a pick feels so much more comfortable. I've been using a thinner nylon pick, and I think it sounds good, but I've time and time again that fingernails have the best tone. Thoughts?

Ukulele picks have an outside made of felt. Guitar picks make the tone really harsh. I avoid picks altogether because I finger pick so much... Tone wise it really depends. For the most part, it really sounds better to strum with your pointer finger then with a pick.

Welcome to UU, BioSim. :)

The picks vs. no-picks argument has been covered many times before.

First of all, an uke is not a guitar and doesn't have to be played the same way. One nice thing about uke is its versatility, and how you can play so many different styles with it.

Aloha biosim,
Welcome to the UU and our forums..and the ukulele...it's personal perference.. some feel akward with them..and takes time to get used to...I find for my style fingernails gives me the best tone and control...
I just started to like finger picks...but definetly not guitar picks...maybe if I had the patience and time I would get used to them...but Im happy with what I'm doing now....Happy Strummings...MM Stan..

I do both and find it useful depending on context. I lead a uke club and to be heard over the din I do use a pick. I also do that when our club plays out in public. But usually I use my fingers. Using a pick is also nice when you want to play a solo, but then, I come from a guitar background.

I started out with a felt pick and found it the only way I could strum (no guitar background) however on the advice of these lovely forums, I started to practise more and more without them and I'm able to strum down pretty well with my thumb, the up part is hard, but it's getting there...

I too started out with a guitar pick, but after I broke it, I just decided to try my thumb, then my forefinger. It's easier than looking for a pick.

Top Bottom