PDA

View Full Version : What finish to use.

The Curious Kid
03-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Hello.

I'm nearly finished with my uke. I had it strung up earlier to test it out and see what needed changing, and I got stuck with it in my lap during 2 four hour car rides. So it got played quite a bit. When I got home I took the strings off and realized that the stain on my fretboard (it's cherry stained darker) was wearing off from playing.

So, my question before I put finish on it is. Is there any sort of finish that will keep, or at least deter this from happening?

Thanks much.

Steiner
03-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Most don't finish the fretboard. The wood is occasionally oiled with fingerboard oil and that's usually it.

Ukujes
03-02-2011, 11:55 PM
lemon oil is great for a healthy fretboard. what kind of wood is the fretboard? something like ebony won't need to be oiled as much, being a less porous wood. if you have a rosewood like cocobolo or east indian, it will need to oil it more often. in general oiling between restrings will do it.

The Curious Kid
03-03-2011, 01:59 AM
Right, now that I actually think about that, finish on a fingerboard makes no sense. So where does a guy acquire lemon oil?

and a question about it... Does lemon oil ever stop smearing off on ones fingers?

PhilUSAFRet
03-03-2011, 02:25 AM
Any store that sells furniture cleaner/polish sells lemon oil.

The Curious Kid
03-03-2011, 04:24 AM
Thanks very much.

UkeforJC
03-03-2011, 06:28 AM
I have been using this Howard Feed-N-Wax.
It contains beeswax and orange oil.
It was recommended by a few UU fellow here.

So far I like it a lot. Smells good, look great and no smearing.....
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100592963/h_d2/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&keyword=bee+wax&jspStoreDir=hdus&Nu=P_PARENT_ID&navFlow=3&catalogId=10053&langId=-1&ddkey=Search

Allen
03-03-2011, 09:05 AM
You never apply so much oil as to have it smearing off on you fingers.

I've been using a furniture wax that is made in Western Australia. A blend of Carnauba, Bees Wax and some other secret ingredients. Just a very tiny bit and buff to a low sheen.