PDA

View Full Version : The Great Ukulele Instrumental Challenge POLL/SONG thread!!

austin1
03-02-2011, 06:02 PM
The masses have spoken! The song weīre instrumentally arranging is Yesterday, by the Beatles! Check out my post on page 3 of this thread for a youtube video and the chords. Canīt wait to see what we all come up with!

CoLmes
03-03-2011, 01:23 AM
vote vote vote vote vooooote

Hippie Dribble
03-03-2011, 01:47 AM
go Deano!!!! Had to vote for the old timers...Deano, Arlo, Jefferson Airplane, Classical Gas etc. Interesting choices Austin. This will be awesome fun :)

CoLmes
03-03-2011, 09:29 AM
bump pah dee

austin1
03-03-2011, 11:03 AM
39 people have voted thus far, the song in the lead at the moment has 16 votes!

joeybug
03-03-2011, 11:27 AM
I voted for a few, songs I know in case I decide to give this a go!

mds725
03-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Thanks for organizing this! While I'm unlikely to participate (at this point, I'm more of a strummer than fingerpicker, although I'm trying to learn some fingerpicking), I expect that the recordings people produce will be not only very entertaining but also educational for those of us who are still in the earlier stages of learning to play.

DAPuke
03-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Done, thanks for putting this together.
DAP

seeso
03-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Rock the vote!

OldePhart
03-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Vote for rock!

austin1
03-03-2011, 09:06 PM
sixty votes thus far, but the top two choices are only two votes apart! so keep those votes coming!

Kauai808
03-04-2011, 06:33 AM
Casted vote. I hope it ends up being a song that hasn't been covered 100 times on youtube already.

philpot
03-04-2011, 03:54 PM
I specifically did not vote for a few, simply because of the sheer number of people who have already performed covers of them/the video suggestions posted were already ukulele covers. It kind of defeats the purpose for me, of learning something new, that may not really be a "uke" song, but just for the fun of it!

austin1
03-05-2011, 03:38 AM
bump!

last day of voting, and we currently have two songs that are neck and neck!

potatowaste
03-05-2011, 06:16 PM
I so hope the videos get mashed up, us strummers on rhythm and those fingerpickers laying down some sick licks

austin1
03-05-2011, 09:09 PM
So the votes are in....and two songs are tied with exactly the same amount of votes. Therefore, I am leaving the survey open for another day, so that we can hopefully break the tie.

The two songs currently tied are Yesterday, by the Beatles, and Country Roads, Take Me Home, by John Denver. If you havenīt voted yet, please vote for your favorite, so that we can break the tie and get the show on the road.

austin1
03-06-2011, 07:07 AM
still tied! bump.

haole
03-06-2011, 08:40 AM
Either way, I'm super pumped.

OldePhart
03-06-2011, 08:58 AM
So the votes are in....and two songs are tied with exactly the same amount of votes. Therefore, I am leaving the survey open for another day, so that we can hopefully break the tie.

The two songs currently tied are Yesterday, by the Beatles, and Country Roads, Take Me Home, by John Denver. If you havenīt voted yet, please vote for your favorite, so that we can break the tie and get the show on the road.

Actually, those two songs would work pretty well together as an instrumental medley...just sayin'...

thatukuleleguy
03-06-2011, 09:25 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Q-Oy7Fs3GXk/SRDCOMKDMPI/AAAAAAAAA3s/6ghT2xJT2H8/s400/I+voted.bmp

telebob
03-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Voted. Looking forward to seeing the result(s).

austin1
03-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Almost a hundred people voted, and the tie was finally broken! Aaaaand the song we are all instrumentally arranging for the first ever Great Ukulele Instrumental Song CHALLENGE is......

YESTERDAY, by the Beatles!

Hereīs a good video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tvGM8Qddpk

Hereīs a version of the chords, although you may choose to transpose it or find different chords and what not.

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/beatles/yesterday_ver3_crd_843697id_02072009date.htm

Letīs get to work! Use this thread if you run into trouble, or to give everyone an update on your progress. We all have until April 7th to figure out our respective versions and upload it to youtube. And remember...instrumentals only! Best of luck, letīs have fun with this!

philpot
03-06-2011, 04:14 PM
Sweet!! :D I'll be working on this!

Inn Sea
03-06-2011, 04:34 PM
When I heard these were the finalists I started working on both, but finished Yesterday first. I made one version in C which is easier to play, uses a lot of open strings. I made a fuller version in Bb which retains more of the original Beatles chord voicings / moving cello lines, however it goes up to the 13th fret and I think I will struggle with playing it cleanly. Both of these versions use Low G tuning and I think they would sound pretty bad in High G.

What do we do if we're YouTube/webcam-challenged? I'd love to get feedback on ways to improve my arrangements. They're both kind of dull at the moment.

austin1
03-06-2011, 04:58 PM
When I heard these were the finalists I started working on both, but finished Yesterday first. I made one version in C which is easier to play, uses a lot of open strings. I made a fuller version in Bb which retains more of the original Beatles chord voicings / moving cello lines, however it goes up to the 13th fret and I think I will struggle with playing it cleanly. Both of these versions use Low G tuning and I think they would sound pretty bad in High G.

What do we do if we're YouTube/webcam-challenged? I'd love to get feedback on ways to improve my arrangements. They're both kind of dull at the moment.

And Patrick officially wins the award for the fastest challenge finisher because he is a beast who somehow managed to get the song done before most of us even knew which song we were playing. I am thoroughly impressed. Do you have a digital camera or camcorder, or anything that can film video? Weīll help you get it on the interwebs!

Rzr
03-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Almost a hundred people voted, and the tie was finally broken! Aaaaand the song we are all instrumentally arranging for the first ever Great Ukulele Instrumental Song CHALLENGE is......

YESTERDAY, by the Beatles!

Hereīs a good video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tvGM8Qddpk

Hereīs a version of the chords, although you may choose to transpose it or find different chords and what not.

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/beatles/yesterday_ver3_crd_843697id_02072009date.htm

Letīs get to work! Use this thread if you run into trouble, or to give everyone an update on your progress. We all have until April 7th to figure out our respective versions and upload it to youtube. And remember...instrumentals only! Best of luck, letīs have fun with this!

You're welcome.

philpot
03-06-2011, 05:12 PM
I was already learning this from dominators tab... but I feel like its kind of cheating xD I suppose I'll finish learning it then play around with it some...

ADD
03-06-2011, 05:36 PM

Wow, I'm impressed. Did you also have your reports, term papers done weeks before they were due? I've always wanted to be that way, but it's a lost cause.

Inn Sea
03-06-2011, 11:44 PM
And Patrick officially wins the award for the fastest challenge finisher because he is a beast who somehow managed to get the song done before most of us even knew which song we were playing. I am thoroughly impressed. Do you have a digital camera or camcorder, or anything that can film video? Weīll help you get it on the interwebs!

To be fair, I've arranged this piece several times for various chamber ensembles. I've just never tried it on ukulele.

Also, I'm hoping that this challenge thing is more process-oriented than product-oriented. My arrangement isn't really finished, in my mind - it's just the first step. I definitely need to practice my Bb version. More importantly I'd like to embellish the arrangement somehow. I would love to learn how to think in High G tuning as well.

I might be able to borrow a camera at work. I could type up some tab if anyone's interested. Or I could just talk about the arranging process in my mind, if anyone wants to know more. I guess I'm really more of an arranger than a player - hoping to start crossing that bridge.

CoLmes
03-07-2011, 04:51 AM
I might be able to borrow a camera at work. I could type up some tab if anyone's interested. Or I could just talk about the arranging process in my mind, if anyone wants to know more. I guess I'm really more of an arranger than a player - hoping to start crossing that bridge.

I would love to hear the arranging process. I'm a player trying to learn to be a better arranger. I've arranged a few songs that I do but it takes me so long. This is one of the biggest reasons why this challenge is awesome for me.

Lori
03-07-2011, 05:44 AM
I start with tabbing out the melody line in Guitar Pro. I managed to do that last night. I decided, since I want to learn new songs for my D-VI, to arrange it for Guitarlele. I need new music that is for the Guitarlele, not just guitar arrangements played in another key. So, I am hoping to keep the song in the original key. My next step is to lay in the chords, and then see what comes to mind. I might still do an arrangement for low g ukulele as well, but it will be in a different key.

–Lori

CoLmes
03-07-2011, 06:10 AM
So far I just have a few of the melody lines, from the beginning to 'I believe in yesterday" What's making me go WTF is that it seems like it switches keys or something.. I don't think it does, but at one point it sounds like a C# going upwards and when it comes back down for the second part I hear a C

boggling my mind thus far

haven;t tried figuring out chords or anything yet

thejumpingflea
03-07-2011, 07:58 AM
So far I just have a few of the melody lines, from the beginning to 'I believe in yesterday" What's making me go WTF is that it seems like it switches keys or something.. I don't think it does, but at one point it sounds like a C# going upwards and when it comes back down for the second part I hear a C

boggling my mind thus far

haven;t tried figuring out chords or anything yet

What key are you doing it in?

I know it in F, and what you may be referring to is the secondary function of the V7/vi. In the case of it being in F, you will here an A7 chord which will resolve to the D7.

The C is the fifth in the F chord and the C# is the third in the A, so both of those notes are in the song.

CoLmes
03-07-2011, 08:45 AM
What key are you doing it in?

I know it in F, and what you may be referring to is the secondary function of the V7/vi. In the case of it being in F, you will here an A7 chord which will resolve to the D7.

The C is the fifth in the F chord and the C# is the third in the A, so both of those notes are in the song.

Yeah I'm doing it in F. I didn't even think of the A7 having the C# in it, duhhhh colin.

lol still shows how much learning I need to do with arranging!

potatowaste
03-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Man, this is going to be way over my head. Nailing all the chord changes is going to be tough enough for me

Inn Sea
03-07-2011, 01:15 PM
I would love to hear the arranging process. I'm a player trying to learn to be a better arranger. I've arranged a few songs that I do but it takes me so long. This is one of the biggest reasons why this challenge is awesome for me.

Colin your fingers are way more advanced than mine! Any explanation of my arranging process should be taken with a grain of salt, since the result of that process isn't necessarily something that advanced players would emulate. Plus, I'm in Low G and when we played in Rittenhouse I think you were using High G. But I'll still happy to share, for what it's worth.

First thing I do is decide what I want to preserve from the song: 1) the melody, 2) the chords and 3) the distinctive cello line. I can do melody and chords in many keys, but the cello line in my mind should be on the bottom. In this case I have scores to refer to, but I can also track the cello by listening.

In the key of F, the two lowest notes played by the cello are C and D. The D is more essential because the cello walks down to it, whereas it leaps down to the C. In other words, the C is not part of a line - it could leap up to a C and sound just as good.

So in the key of F the lowest essential note would be a D - the sixth scale degree of the F scale. On a ukulele with Low G tuning, the lowest note is a G - the sixth scale degree of the Bb scale. Thus I chose Bb as my key.

To validate my choice, I test out that line first:

Now it looks as though they're here to stay, oh
--10--10-8-----6--5--------------6----5--5-----3--
--10-----5---------------8-------3-------------2--
--10-----5-----------------------3----5--5-----2--
--8------5-----------------------3----3--3-----2--

I be-lieve in yes-ter-day
--1-5--3--------1---5---5---
--3----0-----3--3-----------
--2----0--------3---5---5---
--0-----------------3---3---

You can see the 4th string moving down until it's a '0' - I'm happy with sound and the cello line is preserved. Also I really like the fact that I can use a barre at several places in this line - barre VIII on 'Now,' then barre V on 'looks,' then barre III on 'here,' then barre II on 'oh.' That barre is just easier to find than a chord shape sometimes.

Another side note: when I use 35x5, it's purely because I find it easier. The full chord shape would be 3565, but I have trouble getting to that quickly.

After I got to this point, I went back to the beginning. I can keep explaining if anyone's interested. If not, that's ok too.

By the way, I checked out some of the tutorials on YouTube - there's one guy explaining how to play an arrangement of Yesterday originally played by Jake. It's in High G tuning, key of F, and it sounds pretty good. But I have no idea how Jake decided that F was the best key. The arrangement is full of chords that surround the melody, instead of just sitting under the melody (which is what I usually try to do). If I were making that arrangement I probably would have rejected those chord voicings, but I do have to admit that they sound good when the melody note is sufficiently accented.

If I had to arrange While My Guitar Gently Weeps for High G tuning, I never in a million years would have picked C because I feel like I'd be giving up that great descending bass line. Jake obviously is a creative arranger and he made it work brilliantly. Anyway, getting back to the topic - for those doing the piece in F, how did you arrive at that key?

CoLmes
03-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Inn Sea that's really really thorough. Arranging is def. an art and science that I am still progressing in.. like I said I have a million songs I'm working on that are partly finished because of that reason. I'm just slow about putting things together, I can get melodies but putting them on an arrangement is still a challenge.

I arrived at the key of F because that was the melody notes I was getting. The C# is what threw me off and made me second guess.

Lori
03-07-2011, 03:06 PM
I too, chose F because that is what it seems to be when Paul plays it on the recording. When I played along with my D-IV, the F chord at the beginning sounded perfectly in sync with what Paul was playing. I have been tabbing it out by ear, having Guitar Pro play back the results in midi, so I can check the pitch and timing. I do believe that the key of a song has a strong influence on the "feel" of the piece. I have had several occasions where I have been given a choice of different keys for a song, and it can give a subtle overall tone to it all. Like I was finding on playing my classical guitar songs on my D-VI, they sound different transposed to a different key. When I play the guitar part to "Blackbird" on the D-VI, the song just doesn't have the same feeling because it has been transposed 5 frets up. One of the challenges to arranging for the ukulele is finding the best key for the notes needed. Like Inn Sea was saying, you might have to work backwards by figuring out your lowest notes first, then working out the key from there.

–Lori

austin1
03-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Inn Sea that's really really thorough. Arranging is def. an art and science that I am still progressing in.. like I said I have a million songs I'm working on that are partly finished because of that reason. I'm just slow about putting things together, I can get melodies but putting them on an arrangement is still a challenge.

Same here. And that is exactly why we are doing this!

austin1
03-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Man, this is going to be way over my head. Nailing all the chord changes is going to be tough enough for me

Also (and apologies for the double post) if you are new to the ukulele but are having trouble arranging this song for the solo instrument, feel free to do a multitrack arrangement, playing the melody line over the chords. That might make things easier for you, and itīs also a good way to get a feel for arranging songs.

austin1
03-08-2011, 10:09 AM
triple post magic bump! Iīve been working on the song, and Iīm trying to play walking base line/guitar in the background and the melody at the same time, and the beatles are thus far proving insolent.

Inn Sea
03-08-2011, 02:39 PM
Small update. Instead of just repeating the final line for the humming part I tried putting the melody down an octave - and thus below the chords.

Mm mm mm mm mm mm mm
------1---------------------
--1---1---3---3---3---6--6--
--2---2---4---4---3---5--5--
--3-------5---0---3---7--7--

This sort of matches what the Beatles do at the end of the song. Maybe it's also a good voicing for ukulele since the melody is no longer on top (at least in Low G tuning).

brucemoffatt
03-08-2011, 03:21 PM
... if you are new to the ukulele but are having trouble arranging this song for the solo instrument, feel free to do a multitrack arrangement, playing the melody line over the chords.

Please clarify, is this open to an ensemble performance? I've asked my small uke group at work to have a look at the Challenge, and I assumed that we could do a three-person all-uke version, one playing lead (melody) and two playing rhythm parts. We're not exactly experienced players or arrangers so a solo, even in multi-track - is probably beyond each of us.

austin1
03-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Please clarify, is this open to an ensemble performance? I've asked my small uke group at work to have a look at the Challenge, and I assumed that we could do a three-person all-uke version, one playing lead (melody) and two playing rhythm parts. We're not exactly experienced players or arrangers so a solo, even in multi-track - is probably beyond each of us.

That sounds wonderful and I canīt wait to see it!

RyRod
03-08-2011, 03:47 PM
I feel like I'd be cheating if I made a video for this.

Dominator already has a version tabbed out and between that and Davomac's youtube tutorial I've already learned it.

All this theory talk is beyond me anyway. cello line, resolved into this chord/note... etc.:uhoh:

Maybe i'll attempt the next song choice.

austin1
03-08-2011, 04:56 PM
I feel like I'd be cheating if I made a video for this.

Dominator already has a version tabbed out and between that and Davomac's youtube tutorial I've already learned it.

All this theory talk is beyond me anyway. cello line, resolved into this chord/note... etc.:uhoh:

Maybe i'll attempt the next song choice.

Or you could look at it this way: the challenge for you would be to come up with a version that is unique to you. Music theory not necessary!

CoLmes
03-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Or you could look at it this way: the challenge for you would be to come up with a version that is unique to you. Music theory not necessary!

Exactly, you could change it around and make it yours.

So far I think I have the verses semi-down. I haven't tried the chorus yet, and I have no idea if I have the cello at all. Haven't really tried to listen to that part yet...

lol thank god its a month right?

CoLmes
03-08-2011, 05:33 PM
Weird just figured out the chorus in like 10 seconds.. does that ever happen to anyone? I wonder if it has to do with starting to understand the song you are working on. Sometimes there's a super hard part and then I go to a part I think is going to be hard and I blow by it... wth?

dktoller
03-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Been working through this in the key of F, primarily because that's the chord sheet I started with. Happy with the chorus, but the last line of the verse seems to need a low B and Bb. Oh well.

I'm thinking about moving everything up two frets (to key of G). Unfortunately the chorus gets a little high on the neck. And all of the open notes disappear. It's all about tradeoffs I suppose.

I need to go actually listen to the recording and see if I'm anywhere close.

Great idea guys and I am really looking forward to hearing how people approach this, as well as comparing versions when this is all said and done.

CoLmes
03-12-2011, 06:20 PM
I think I have the bare bones down, now I have to mesh everything together to make it make sense. My chorus is strong but my verse seems still a little iffy. I think because there is a lot of space between some melody notes. What do you guys do when that happens?

philpot
03-13-2011, 03:45 AM
I think I have the bare bones down, now I have to mesh everything together to make it make sense. My chorus is strong but my verse seems still a little iffy. I think because there is a lot of space between some melody notes. What do you guys do when that happens?

Watch the uke minutes on ghost notes :P or just find a fill in chord

Inn Sea
03-13-2011, 03:54 AM
Been working through this in the key of F, primarily because that's the chord sheet I started with. Happy with the chorus, but the last line of the verse seems to need a low B and Bb. Oh well.

I'm thinking about moving everything up two frets (to key of G). Unfortunately the chorus gets a little high on the neck. And all of the open notes disappear. It's all about tradeoffs I suppose.

Looks like an arrangement in G would take you up to the 10th fret. That high G doesn't need to be harmonized in the verse, so it's not too hard to reach there. In the 2nd measure of the bridge (I call it the bridge - it's more bridge-like than chorus-like), that same high G occurs on beat 3, and it would benefit from a chord or bass note or harmony note underneath: x-12-12-10 or x-7-8-10 are both pretty playable on my tenor. The high G comes back once more in the last measure of the bridge - a 7-7-7-10 or 12-11-10-10 would work pretty well there.

Although the key of G feels high, I need to go even 3 frets higher for my Bb version. My highest chord is 8-10-x-13. I can just about play my arrangement (slightly below performance tempo) on a tenor. On a concert Fluke it's virtually unplayable. On a soprano, no way. I would love to try a lower key for more playable spacing, but I'm already committed to hitting a low G for my arrangement.

Inn Sea
03-13-2011, 04:09 AM

Meaning there are several melody notes in a row without any chordal or harmonic support? I at least try to add some support on every chord change. If there's a specific spot where you're not sure what to add, maybe someone can suggest a harmonization.

CoLmes
03-13-2011, 04:52 AM
i do add ghost notes and fills but it still feels kinda thin.. like for example.. "Yesterday . . . . All my trouble seemed so far away . . . . Now it etc."

The .... is where I'm trying to find things to fill

Inn Sea
03-13-2011, 05:26 AM
i do add ghost notes and fills but it still feels kinda thin.. like for example.. "Yesterday . . . . All my trouble seemed so far away . . . . Now it etc."

The .... is where I'm trying to find things to fill

Do you play the Em chord in the first space? That might be enough to fill it out. For the second space, there's a Bb chord right before 'now.' You can connect the previous Dm chord to that Bb chord with a C in between, either a C chord or just the note C.

dktoller
03-13-2011, 06:21 AM
Looks like an arrangement in G would take you up to the 10th fret....

For the record I'm playing a concert in high-g, no cutout. Currently the bridge takes me up to the 12th fret... "Had to go" is Em-9777, D-11-9-10-9, C-12-12-12-10. I'm having second thoughts based on playability. Yeah, I think this can be knocked down quite a bit... the only must-have is the top melody note, which is a 10. Thanks.

CoLmes
03-13-2011, 07:53 AM
For the record I'm playing a concert in high-g, no cutout. Currently the bridge takes me up to the 12th fret... "Had to go" is Em-9777, D-11-9-10-9, C-12-12-12-10. I'm having second thoughts based on playability. Yeah, I think this can be knocked down quite a bit... the only must-have is the top melody note, which is a 10. Thanks.

This is what I'm going with so far

For that part I have Dm 7555, C 0787, Some kind of Bb 5568

then "I don't know" is picking the 7 and 5 on the a then going to the C 0787 for "know"

then "She wouldn't say" picking the a string 5th note, C7 3433, picking the D on the a string again and finish on the F

the second way through the last part is the same to the C7 and then it goes to the C, then goes down the neck through a few different F chords

Inn Sea
03-13-2011, 08:19 AM

With High G tuning, 9777 would be the same notes as x777; 11-9-10-9 would be the same as x-9-10-9; and 12-12-12-10 would be the same as x-12-12-10. For me those 3-note chords would be a little more playable.

Is there any reason to play the 4-note versions instead? I guess one reason might be that the arrangement could involve some strumming and it's easier to strum 4 strings than 3. Or maybe in general more volume is needed from those chords. Or, if the arrangement is based more on counterpoint than chords, then a unison might make sense if it splits apart by stepwise motion in the next chord - that's not the case in this piece. There might be other reasons, but I can't think of them at the moment. If I were trying this arrangement in this key, I would go for the 3-note chords.

Inn Sea
03-13-2011, 09:29 AM
This is what I'm going with so far

then "I don't know" is picking the 7 and 5 on the a then going to the C 0787 for "know"

then "She wouldn't say" picking the a string 5th note, C7 3433, picking the D on the a string again and finish on the F

the second way through the last part is the same to the C7 and then it goes to the C, then goes down the neck through a few different F chords

Although the chords in Tina's link have a C on the word 'know,' the Beatles use a Gm chord there. It may seem like a relatively inconsequential difference but think of the relationship of the melody to the chord at that point. A melody note E over a G minor chord creates a brief moment of unresolved tension. A melody note E over a C major chord doesn't have that effect - it already sounds resolved. Arguably it's those little moments of tension that give Yesterday its character. In fact, look at the very first note in the piece - a G over an F chord, resolving down by step on the next syllable.

I'm certainly not saying that every arrangement must follow the Beatles' chords exactly, just pointing out what I hear. It would be easy enough to convert the C (0787) into a Gm - you could just invert the triangle to 0767, or use 7767.

dktoller
03-13-2011, 04:57 PM

Yep Colin, that's pretty much where I ended up (choice of key aside). Em-0777, D-7659, C-078(10), and then pretty much in agreement with the rest. Of course the zero fret options for us are different.

Inn Sea -- The "reason" I initially went with those high four-string voicings was pretty simplistic. I heard the rising chord progression and that's what I got. Get the basics on paper first, right? I'm beginning to realize that for high-g the major and minor chords (always) have redundancy which is an opportunity for simplification.

On a another point, did you guys pick up on the rising vs. descending lines on 'had to go'? Same starting point but vocals go up and cello(?) goes down. Would be nice to include, but may be a challenge. There's only so much you can do with a single instrument.

Inn Sea
03-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Inn Sea -- The "reason" I initially went with those high four-string voicings was pretty simplistic. I heard the rising chord progression and that's what I got. Get the basics on paper first, right? I'm beginning to realize that for high-g the major and minor chords (always) have redundancy which is an opportunity for simplification.

On a another point, did you guys pick up on the rising vs. descending lines on 'had to go'? Same starting point but vocals go up and cello(?) goes down. Would be nice to include, but may be a challenge. There's only so much you can do with a single instrument.

I did want to preserve the descending cello line under 'had to go.' In my arrangement (Low G) I have this: 12-10-10-10, 10-12-x-12, 8-10-x-13. The same descending cello line appears between 'far away' and 'now,' but it's a little easier to play there.

I always want to try to preserve moving lines / inner voices, but yes it can be hard to do on ukulele. I was excited about this challenge because I thought it would strengthen my relationship with the ukulele. But I'm not really getting closer - I'm still pushing a guitar mentality onto the instrument. I guess I need to think differently.

austin1
03-13-2011, 07:30 PM
okay, I have the verse down, now I just have to beat the chorus into submission!

austin1
03-19-2011, 07:05 PM
bump.

how is everyone doing? remember, we have to have our videos up by april 7th!

random sidenote, when you guys make your videos, are you doing the entire song? it just kind of repeats itself minus a bridge, and I'm at a loss to figure out how to make the second verse sound different enough that it's still interesting to listen to. I'm thinking I may only record one verse and one chorus.

haole
03-20-2011, 06:33 AM
Is multitracking okay for this? I was going to harmonize the parts that repeat the second time around to make it a little more interesting.

austin1
03-20-2011, 08:12 AM
multitracking is a-ok, go for it! as far as making the repeating parts more interesting, i tried moving the song up a full step, but it just sounded weird to me.

dktoller
03-20-2011, 09:14 AM
...still working on it. I've got two issues.
1. How to arrange all the sections, as you say it could be rather repetitive. Most of the time the lyrics are enough to add interest to the additional verses, but here we are just stuck with the instrument.
2. Practicing to actually perform it. As usual, the arrangement I've landed on may be a bit beyond abilities.

haole
03-20-2011, 09:17 AM
2. Practicing to actually perform it. As usual, the arrangement I've landed on may be a bit beyond abilities.

Welcome to my life. :(

ADD
03-20-2011, 10:30 PM
I'm in over my head. Think I'll have to follow, watch and learn from you all.

andgar
03-20-2011, 11:47 PM
How do we submit? Just a youtube link in this thread?

dktoller
03-21-2011, 06:56 AM
I'm in over my head. Think I'll have to follow, watch and learn from you all.

Break it down into something simpler then. Try tabbing out just the melody line.
We are all still learning.

austin1
03-21-2011, 09:24 AM
How do we submit? Just a youtube link in this thread?

the day before the deadline, Iīll start a new results thread where we can post. I like the concept of keeping the suggestion thread, the poll/song thread, and the results thread all separate. that way, if you want to see the results, you donīt have to scroll through 15 pages of text and information before you get there.

austin1
03-31-2011, 09:01 AM
one more week!

dktoller
04-07-2011, 03:49 AM
the day before the deadline, Iīll start a new results thread where we can post.

Just as she say... Follow the entries (and hopefully more discussion) at
The Great Ukulele Instrumental Challenge RESULTS Thread (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?44914-The-Great-Ukulele-Instrumental-Challenge-RESULTS-Thread!!&p=647946#post647946)