PDA

View Full Version : are you in a band?

salukulady
07-18-2008, 08:19 PM
So, I'm really excited.....I was asked to be in a band!!! Now, I've only been playing since January and I didn't think I was ready for this, but a woman I play along with in three jam groups asked me to be in her mostly all woman band. We rehearsed today and will again tomorrow because, get this, there is a gig on Sunday at a yacht club. YIKES! The band is called Sandy Feet and they, (I mean we....OMG!) play a lot of 60's surf tunes and Hawaiian music. Just a bunch of Moms, really. In the group we have two guitars, bass, drums, congas, steel drums (so cool), two ukes and a keyboard, with assorted other instruments, they even got me to dust off my flute and ocarina. (You must have an ocarina solo in Wild Thing). Oh and we have a beautiful dancer for the Hawaiian numbers. I'm having a blast!

So, how many of you are in bands? What kind of music do you play and what instruments do you have in your bands.

Bassukuguy
07-18-2008, 08:25 PM
i have been in a few, mostly playing bass and Custom percussion... at the moment some friends and i are putting writing and drafting a new project in which i play bass...

then there is my folk side project (me and a guy who plays mandolin and banjo) that i play acoustic guitar and ukulele in. we are called Folkpocolyplse... we mostly do covers and such, we need to record something.

ps i almost forgot to add, congrats on making a band! its an awesome experience and every one is different!

Plainsong
07-19-2008, 12:29 AM
Congrats on making the band. I've never been in a band in the sense of a small group of mixed strings and percussion who go and play gigs. I've only been in bands in the symphonic sense of the word, and even then only a few times outside of school and college.

I'd be as flipped out as you if I was asked to join a band. Ain't gonna happen to me! :D

So congrats, and good luck at your first upcoming gig.

Renaissance-Man
07-19-2008, 12:41 AM
Bands are fun. :)

Lanark
07-19-2008, 01:06 AM
Congrats. Sounds like fun.

I've been in a number of rock and roll bands playing guitar and singing. Last one of those ended in December of 2007 when our bass player moved to way Northern Minnesota to be closer to his girlfriend and the fishing.

That was the Infestations (http://www.myspace.com/theinfestations) and we were a loud pop band. Entertained literally dozens in our three or four year stint....

Before that was the Bee Family. Me and an all girl rhythm section. Really should put something up for that. We had a few really good things going on when they weren't trying to get me to wear matching outfits.

(Also did a stint in Trailer Park Queen parodying classic rock with all the words rewritten in the smuttiest ways imaginable and being sung by a 350lb middle aged woman in a giant beehive wig. It was something to experience...)

Currently trying to work out something ukulele. Thinking I want to just get something together with whoever I can sucker into it where we hit on a little bit of everything from Rodgers & Hart to Bowie to the Beach Boys and whatever else strikes our fancy and any originals that pop up. Play 'em straight and honestly with the instrumentation we've got. The sort of thing that could play anywhere, plugged in or not. Cheryl (the opera trained other singer from the Infestations) is in. Mostly I've been pretty lax about getting it rolling.

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-19-2008, 01:42 AM
as a matter of fact... im not in a band, do i surprise anybody with my amazing skills on the ookulele... all the songs i can play & my perfect voice

got asked once, by some hardcore band on a train... and my answer was no- if a mellow reggae band asks me.... be there 4 hours before im meant too :)

UkéDan
07-19-2008, 03:21 AM
I've been in bands on and off for many years, but in the latest band, actually a folk rock trio headed by Jack Lavoie (www.jacklavoie.net), I actually play a few songs on ukulele. Jack has moved from full rock band format to folk rock trio (with the occasional backup singer and extra percussionist added). We are planning on recording one of my compositions on the uke (among four or five new Jack songs), including video!!! We've been together roughly two years and have played clubs, dives and yes!! a yacht club! It's lots of fun and very gratifying playing with others in front of crowds.

Jack plays geetar, I play bass, ukulele, 12 string and a little bit of harmonica and John plays percussion of all sorts, mainly djembe. We all sing vocals, alternating leads. Most of our sets are Jack's compositions, but we also play the Band, Jack Johnson etc. Yes, I've even played Iz's Over the Rainbow on uke but now I play Espen Lind's Scared of Heights, two of Jack's compos and one of mine on uke, and accompany one of John's songs.

Believe me, the uke has always been well received by the audience.

I play a soprano Koa Pili Koko (from MGM) and keep a Northern JCD-2 handy just in case. I play through a condenser mic into a tube preamp and into the board. I use a preamp for the 48v, just in case the board doesn't have any.

Hope you have a lot of fun. It's really great playing music with others.

UkéDan

Jimmy
07-19-2008, 03:29 AM
Me and my friend play as the "Wagon of Science". I'm on ukulele and he plays guitar. We play charity events at school and in his garden beside the street. We both sing and it's good craic.

I think I'm playing ukulele on a recording with a local punk/ska band called Pocket Billiards (http://www.myspace.com/pocketbilliards). The lead singer is one of the teachers at my school :P

cMejilla
07-19-2008, 04:14 AM
i haven't gained membership into that club of cool yet.

salukulady
07-19-2008, 04:53 AM
i haven't gained membership into that club of cool yet.Hey, it took me 47 years to join.....

sukie
07-19-2008, 07:10 AM
How exciting! Have fun. That'd be a dream come true for me. Is 51 too old to be in a band? Let us know how it goes.

Misguided Musician
07-19-2008, 07:21 AM
Congrats. I'm in a family band and an acoustic group that compose of only me and my friend. In the band, we basically use a bass, 2 acoustics, 2 ukuleles, 1 drumset. Those are just instruments we use. The band is basically me and my 2 cousins. Well good luck at your gig and just remember to play like your jamming. Makes it so much easier.

SuperSecretBETA
07-19-2008, 07:52 AM
You can always start your own band, and there's nothing wrong with going solo!

Howlin Hobbit
07-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Been in a number of bands (and duos) over the years. Currently in Snake Suspenderz (http://www.snakesuspenderz.com/) which, despite what the website indicates, is now a trio. Started as a duo, grew to a quartet and then shrunk again. We'll be back to quartet (or maybe larger, who knows?) soon. And we still sometimes play as a duo if one or the other of us isn't available.

Is 51 too old to be in a band?

Geez I hope not. I just turned 50 a little over a month ago and I'm not planning on giving this madness up until I die.

Besides, look at the Stones and other "heritage acts."

Craig
07-19-2008, 06:42 PM
How I wish I could find a bass player to work on standards with......

Congratulations and you should have a blast!:music:

Nelson
07-19-2008, 06:52 PM
I'm in a band called flounder in which I play bass guitar...
I'm also in an unnamed band in which I also play bass guitar.

Would KILL for a band to play ukulele in. Or Cello.
But Flounder has a show at the Stone Pony in NJ soon so I be super excited!
Plus I'm getting a new bass!

UkuleleBlake
07-19-2008, 11:07 PM
I've been in a few rock bands, the staple being myself and my lead guitarist, Rick. I'm currently in a 4-piece rock band temporarily called The Fluffs. We have no current stuff up, but www.Myspace.com/TheFluffsMusic has some photos if you'd like to see. We have a solid image and a great sound. I'd love to be in a full side ukulele band just for fun. Here are some tips I'd like to share with the UU.
**If you'd like to play in a band, without making major record labels or much money, you don't need to check this out, but if you think you might like to, do so.

1. The Music -- No matter what has been said, the music is very important. A solid rythem is more important than a catchy melody. If the lead guitarist made a few mistakes in a riff, the crowd would less notice that over the drummer or bassist being off timing. Whatever genre you play (sadly, ukulele is not the most marketable) it needs to sound good.

2. The Image -- In real life, in 2008, you have to think. Why would a record label sign me? That girl over there has a great voice, why isn't she singing lead for that one band? Image, sadly (or maybe you like to dress up) is a major part of the music business. Why on this earth would a label sign you if you're the average Joe? An A&R (scout) says "Hey! I found this band, and they all wear makeup and have different identities. The bassist has a abnormally long tongue and spits blood and breathes fire! The drummer looks like a cat! Blah blah! Imagine the t-shirts, the pins... even the action figures we could make with these guys!" Many glam 80's bands were signed just for their hair. This did not apply as much in older music, but I mean, even The Beatle's haircuts played a role. You must be marketable, I mean, the point is to make money off of you.

3. Band Personality -- One reason bands can make it easier than solo artists is because there are many personalities to choose from. "I like John Doe!" "Joe Shmoe is my favorite!" And so on. Maybe the frontman is a quiet poet. The lead guitar is a little rowdy. The bassist is a pyromaniac. Even if people fake it, it's good press and can contribute to how far your band makes it. Maybe your drummer is a major jerk in interviews, cusses the reporter out, etc. But you meet him backstage and he's a really easygoing and pleasant guy. That's just another thing for people to talk about.

4. Band Ethics -- You believe this. I believe that. I want to meet at 12. You want to meet at 2. Bands must compromise and share similar goals and views, or it can get really tough to stay together and tension grows extremely high. And when tension grows and your drummer has his metal drumsticks in his hands and you upset him, it isn't so fun anymore.

5. Promotions and shows -- You need to play and get noticed. That's the only way. You might get sponsors from sending in demos, but most bands in the new millennium make most of their money off of live shows and selling merch. The more you promote, (posters, free demo cd's, benefit shows, etc.) the more people know.

6. Persistance -- Whatever you do, you have to stick with it and it will just take you farther. If 2 people see your show and buy a t-shirt, that's moving forward. You can't fall backwards unless you do something very obscene or against the band/society's morals. On the other side of the coin, it can bring you to the top. (Manson)

I am not a professional motivational speaker, manager, musician, or any of that, but I plan to be and I can tell you that what I have listed can only help.

By the way..

How exciting! Have fun. That'd be a dream come true for me. Is 51 too old to be in a band? Let us know how it goes.

The Stones are still at it and how old are they? Never too old!
Take care, I hope I helped a bit. :music:

Howlin Hobbit
07-20-2008, 07:56 AM
Not a bad list there, Blake. But you left out...

Everybody has to work. If one person is constantly doing all the booking, all the PR, all the work on the website/MySpace/whatever, etc., etc. it soon causes those tensions you're talking about.

Just think. If you're in a 4-piece and are managing to squeeze out the time to book one gig/month the same amount of effort from the other members will have you playing nearly every weekend.

UkuleleBlake
07-20-2008, 08:59 AM
Not a bad list there, Blake. But you left out...

Everybody has to work. If one person is constantly doing all the booking, all the PR, all the work on the website/MySpace/whatever, etc., etc. it soon causes those tensions you're talking about.

Just think. If you're in a 4-piece and are managing to squeeze out the time to book one gig/month the same amount of effort from the other members will have you playing nearly every weekend.

Nice addition. Goes with band morals a bit.

Esy
07-20-2008, 09:35 AM
I am solo man only sometimes jam with my friend

salukulady
07-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Well, I just got back from our first gig. We had so much fun! The audience was very accommodating and seem to enjoy us. The party was at a yacht club and another yacht club activities director was there and hired us on the spot for next week! We are going to rehearse this week and work out a few (a lotta) kinks, but I felt pretty good about the show today. Besides paying us and feeding us, they put out a tip jar and made sure it was full. I think I'm gonna love being in a band.

sukie
07-20-2008, 03:46 PM
Glad you had a good time. Next time should be even better, no? Keep us informed. I'm rooting for you.:D

seeso
07-20-2008, 09:20 PM
That's so awesome, Salukulady! Please, please, please, take some video of next week's gig!

BTW, I'm not currently in a band, but I've been in many many bands. I've played keyboards, guitar, and bass in bands with styles ranging from to grunge to hip hop.

14twelve
07-20-2008, 10:29 PM
Congratulations Salukulady!! Sounds like a great first night!!

Look forward to hearing about the next show, and yes, what Seeso says - would love to see videos!! :D

SailQwest
07-21-2008, 09:11 AM
Congrats, Salukulady! That is so cool! It's so much fun to play with other people, and with an audience is even better!

ricdoug
07-21-2008, 09:38 AM
Outstanding, Sally! Now that your first gig is out of the way, the rest will be easier.

I've been in several rock, blues and country bands over the years. My main instrument in the past has been the guitar. Being in the USMC, band members transferred duty stations and were often deployed, which seperated those bands into extinction. I'm in my late 50's, for those inquiring about age limits.

A dozen of us, from the Ukulele Society of America http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Ukulele_Society_of_America played outdoors at the Carlsbad Village Farmers Market, last Saturday. We played everything from Hawaiian, Rock, Bluegrass, Country, Blues, Tin Pan Alley... Basically, we brought our songbooks and winged it. We had an upright bass and the rest played ukuleles. I brought and set up a small 4 channel PA with a single floor monitor, with speakers on stands and a dozen small guitar amps. I used a bettery powered Honeytone belt clip amp, that worked surprizingly well. The NiMH 9 volt batteries lasted a full hour, so I changed the battery at the end of each set. I have 4 of these batteries and am going to purchase more. Our percussion was shaker eggs, which we passed out to the audience. 4 of our uke players that showed up, are also hula dancers.

We got this gig, by accident. I read a small article in The Coast News, about a Luau themed grilling event at a local Farmers market. The article said there would be live music and dancing. At the end of the article, it said to call Christy Johnson, for more information. I called to find out who the musicians and dancers were, as I was thinking of stopping by, before work. I received a call from Christy 3 days before the gig. She told me the entertainment fell through and wanted to know if I knew anyone who could play on short notice. I asked Christy to come to the Ukulele Society of America and plea her case on Thursday. She did and about six members commited to play two 20 minute sets, one at 10:00 A.M. and another at 11:30 A.M. on Saturday. I e-mailed files and a setlist of about 20 popular tunes we play at our kanikapila, as a suggestion to start with. A dozen members showed up Saturday morning and we started before 10:00 A.M. and played till a little after 11:00 A.M. (so much for 20 minutes! LOL!). We did not play in the order of the setlist. We followed some suggestions from our hula dancers and played and sang their favorites, while they wowed the audience with their gracefull moves. We took about a 20 minute break, with the crowd constantly complementing our "band" (there were people dancing everywhere, while we were playing. People were wandering in from the downtown carlsbad streets, to see what all the music and commotion was all about). We started playing again at 11:30 and continued till about 12:30 (the Farmers Market was closing at 1:00 P.M.). We received many requests to play at other events and parties.

We've never practiced, as a breakout group, or band. Several of us have lead kanikapila at group BBQ's and parties. I'm definately going to purchase more of those battery powered Danelectro amps. It allowed me to be mobile and step out into the crowd and get them going. The uke does not require a lot of amplification, to project. As a band, we all noticed a few things gone wrong, but to our audience, it was right. I learned years ago, to just sing and play through mistakes. Some people think it is just your adaption. Ric

polynesianpop
07-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Well, I just got back from our first gig. We had so much fun! The audience was very accommodating and seem to enjoy us. The party was at a yacht club and another yacht club activities director was there and hired us on the spot for next week! We are going to rehearse this week and work out a few (a lotta) kinks, but I felt pretty good about the show today. Besides paying us and feeding us, they put out a tip jar and made sure it was full. I think I'm gonna love being in a band.

CONGRATS! I'd really like to see you guys play too. You should post the dates of your next gig(s) so some of us can come by and show our support!

polynesianpop
07-21-2008, 09:50 AM
Outstanding, Sally! Now that your first gig is out of the way, the rest will be easier.

I've been in several rock, blues and country bands over the years. My main instrument in the past has been the guitar. Being in the USMC, band members transferred duty stations and were often deployed, which seperated those bands into extinction. I'm in my late 50's, for those inquiring about age limits.

A dozen of us, from the Ukulele Society of America http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Ukulele_Society_of_America played outdoors at the Carlsbad Village Farmers Market, last Saturday. We played everything from Hawaiian, Rock, Bluegrass, Country, Blues, Tin Pan Alley... Basically, we brought our songbooks and winged it. We had an upright bass and the rest played ukuleles. I brought and set up a small 4 channel PA with a single floor monitor, with speakers on stands and a dozen small guitar amps. I used a bettery powered Honeytone belt clip amp, that worked surprizingly well. The NiMH 9 volt batteries lasted a full hour, so I changed the battery at the end of each set. I have 4 of these batteries and am going to purchase more. Our percussion was shaker eggs, which we passed out to the audience. 4 of our uke players that showed up, are also hula dancers.

We got this gig, by accident. I read a small article in The Coast News, about a Luau themed grilling event at a local Farmers market. The article said there would be live music and dancing. At the end of the article, it said to call Christy Johnson, for more information. I called to find out who the musicians and dancers were, as I was thinking of stopping by, before work. I received a call from Christy 3 days before the gig. She told me the entertainment fell through and wanted to know if I knew anyone who could play on short notice. I asked Christy to come to the Ukulele Society of America and plea her case on Thursday. She did and about six members commited to play two 20 minute sets, one at 10:00 A.M. and another at 11:30 A.M. on Saturday. I e-mailed files and a setlist of about 20 popular tunes we play at our kanikapila, as a suggestion to start with. A dozen members showed up Saturday morning and we started before 10:00 A.M. and played till a little after 11:00 A.M. (so much for 20 minutes! LOL!). We did not play in the order of the setlist. We followed some suggestions from our hula dancers and played and sang their favorites, while they wowed the audience with their gracefull moves. We took about a 20 minute break, with the crowd constantly complementing our "band" (there were people dancing everywhere, while we were playing. People were wandering in from the downtown carlsbad streets, to see what all the music and commotion was all about). We started playing again at 11:30 and continued till about 12:30 (the Farmers Market was closing at 1:00 P.M.). We received many requests to play at other events and parties.

We've never practiced, as a breakout group, or band. Several of us have lead kanikapila at group BBQ's and parties. I'm definately going to purchase more of those battery powered Danelectro amps. It allowed me to be mobile and step out into the crowd and get them going. The uke does not require a lot of amplification, to project. As a band, we all noticed a few things gone wrong, but to our audience, it was right. I learned years ago, to just sing and play through mistakes. Some people think it is just your adaption. Ric

Awesome story! I'd love to see you guys too!

salukulady
07-28-2008, 01:29 AM
So we had our second gig and it went very well. We had 4 practices between the two shows and it really made a huge difference. And anther yacht club approached us regarding playing for their luau next month. This band was well established prior to my joining and the leader has some things to work out with her original band, (not all of the original band has been present for the last two gigs). I'm not sure I will be playing with them in the future, but it sure was fun.

sukie
07-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Way to go! Probably get those offers because there's a uke! The band leader NEEDS to keep you.

easyukulele
07-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Been in a few bands and had lots of fun over the years!! Here in Hawaii, I was in a band called 96744, played in the local circuit/clubs for 5 years and we disbanded back in 2001. Long story..... But anyways, moved back to Hawaii, in Feb 2008 and started a new Hawaiian/Contemporary/Reggae band with some friends. Here's a clip of our new band practicing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDVQfxV34fc

Have lots of fun playing!! :)

salukulady
07-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Way to go! Probably get those offers because there's a uke! The band leader NEEDS to keep you.She wants to but I'm hesitant. The original band was made up of friends that surfed every morning after they dropped their kids at school. They were friends first, so there was no leader established. They mostly jammed together and did a gig once in a while. After two years of this, the woman I know wanted more of a commitment from the band members, and when she didn't get it, she approached me and a couple other musicians. Well, the old band definitely got their noses tweaked, especially when our one gig has now led to three. Us newbies are taking a step back and have told her she needs to talk with her original band. She is meeting with them this week (we have a month 'til the next gig) to talk things over. I really want to play, but I can not play music in a hostile environment. At one of our practices, the old drummer stopped by to see how we were doing. She was so forceful and territorial I thought she was going to lift her leg on my amp. They are very good musicians, but very critical and don't want to put in the time or effort that it takes to put on a show, and really don't want to share the spotlight. Anyway, the woman has to work out her differences with her friends/band members and then get back to us. We'll see how it goes.

Whew! I knew boy bands had drama.....I wasn't expecting this from a bunch of 35-50 year old Moms!

SailQwest
07-29-2008, 01:27 AM
Whew! I knew boy bands had drama.....I wasn't expecting this from a bunch of 35-50 year old Moms!

That's too bad. The sad thing is they probably still don't want to do the work; they probably are just jealous of the attention.

sukie
07-29-2008, 07:56 AM
Wow! Too much drama. Maybe you'll just have to start a new band, and ask your friend to join you. Good luck.

deach
07-29-2008, 07:58 AM

I guess you don't watch Desperate Housewives....

Lanark
07-29-2008, 10:22 AM
I don't know... every band I've ever been in has been part High School Romance and part Shark. Full of high drama and a need to keep constantly moving forward or it would die. (In my last band the bass player and the other singer had a kind of ugly break up right in the middle of everything and they both kept with the band out of spite for the other one. It got pretty ugly for a while until they came to terms with each other.)

Every time there's a shake up in a band's lineup there's a bit of turmoil before the dust settles and everybody falls into their roles within the relationship that is the band. There's almost always a bit of territorial pissing. I wouldn't take it personally.

Mostly I would say if you enjoy it, keep doing it. If you're willing to make the appropriate commitment and dedication to playing and were invited into the project you've got as much right as anybody else to be there whether or not you were part of the original.

Assert yourself and don't let them intimidate you into quitting.

salukulady
08-09-2008, 04:33 PM
First I want to thank you all for your encouragement. Lots of things have happened over the last few weeks. The leader of the band met with her old members and they agreed they didn't want to make the commitment to be a gig band. At first she was going to just cancel the 3rd gig until I and another new member spoke up. Anyway, after much discussion we are on for the 24th of August without the old members. We were short a drummer and dancer; I found a good drummer today and I know I can find a dancer this week. We have three rehearsals scheduled before the gig. All is well.

Now I need your help. We need a new name for the band. Our former name was "Sandy Feet". Our band is made up of (mostly) women 19-50 years old. We play old rock (Another Saturday Night, Brown Eyed Girl, Lion Sleeps Tonight) and haole (sp?) hawaiian music (Little Grass Shack, Lovely Hula Hands). We wear hawaiian shirts and have a hula dancer that is very interactive with the audience. We are very FUN with our tongue firmly planted in our cheeks. We make fun of ourselves and NEVER take ourselves seriously.

So, we need a new more edgy name. Of course I came up with sarcastic names like "Sand in Your Cracks" and "Sand by Your Man", so you can see I need some help.

Thank you for ongoing interest in my own little drama.

joe28601
08-09-2008, 04:45 PM
haven't been in anything serious but my friends and I would have some garage concerts and with my ukulele now it should get more intimate w00t w00t

salukulady
08-13-2008, 05:01 PM
Hey, bumping this up 'cuz my band needs a new name....read my last post for info....I need help!

Howlin Hobbit
08-13-2008, 05:08 PM
Band Name Maker (http://www.bandnamemaker.com/)

Band Name Generator (http://www.1728.com/bandname.htm)

Sorry I can't do better. I'm currently frying my feeble little brain trying to come up with a name for a ukulele-centric event and band names are just out of the picture for a bit.

Nurdaben
08-13-2008, 05:58 PM
this was my band like 10 years ago we broke up because the drummer moved away.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/vSnailv/BAND3000.jpg

oooh bright colors . . .

salukulady
08-13-2008, 06:59 PM
this was my band like 10 years ago we broke up because the drummer moved away.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/vSnailv/BAND3000.jpg

oooh bright colors . . .is that you on bass or guitar?

Nurdaben
08-17-2008, 05:53 PM
bass

(gotta make this post long enough so it will accept it)

salukulady
08-26-2008, 01:10 PM
So the on going drama of my band goes on......We had our third gig, (gig....I love saying that word...ha ha!) on Sunday. It was for another yacht club. These people were a riot. They dance and sang with us....one guy even got out his trumpet and jammed with us. They tipped us generously and one guy (the Commodore) wants to hire us for a private party. Our keyboard player got a $20 stuffed in her cleavage and our hula dancer taught the men how to hula. They even had a hula hoop contest, so we played "Lovely Hula Hands". They had roasted a pig and fed us. It was a fun day. My husband came and ran the sound system, so I could concentrate on playing.

All the hesitant members of the old band have backed out, so we have a more manageable group of enthusiastic musicians now. There are five of us (guitar/uke, uke/flute, bass, drummer and keyboard) and a dancer. We are hoping to get our steel drum player back, she really adds to the show. We have kept the name, "Sandy Feet", and the old members say they are cool with that. My wonderful husband even whipped out business cards on the computer the night before so we had something to pass out to people. We are now trying to decide when we will practice every week. We have worked REALLY hard to get this together and don't want to loose our momentum. Once again, thanks for listening......

NoLine
08-26-2008, 07:23 PM
as far as being in a band goes, i just recently join the guitar ensamble at school
im the only uke player outa a bunch of guitarist
its not much, just an extra curricular thing at school

sukie
08-27-2008, 07:18 AM
You "guys" must be pretty good. Every time you play you get another job. Fun!

nikolo727
08-27-2008, 10:08 AM
some local bands are including me in some of their songs but thats about it.

only a few specials and stuff, nothing to official.

devin_with_an_i
08-27-2008, 11:08 AM
I've been in a few bands. My current one is called Revive the Lifeless (myspace.com/revivethelifeless), but unfortunately I have to call the guys right now and quit because I am leaving for college tomorrow morning. I played bass and did backing vocals.

I plan on playing guitar or uke for a band in college, once I can find some guys (or girls) that are up for it.

peterng_20
08-27-2008, 07:17 PM
I would like to be in a band... But I am not, I just go around and jam with my friends. It would be nice to have a band with ukuleles, vocals, guitars, drums, bass, piano, organ, mandolin, banjo, sitar, harp, tambourine, triangle, sax, trumpets, and lutes, the music will be so unique.

salukulady
10-06-2008, 01:43 AM
New update on my band.....we have been practicing almost every Sunday. Bringing in new songs and a new guitar player. The only job scheduled in our future is a few tunes at a Christmas party in December, so that has given us some time to regroup, rehash and get to actually know each other. We all realize a band is more than a bunch of girls banging away on instruments, we are becoming friends, also.

My brother who lives out the area contacted me last week. He was coming to town and offered to bring his eight track recorder and help us make a demo. We spent all day yesterday recording in my garage. We got 8 songs successfully recorded. It was a blast. And the funny thing was, every time he did a playback, we'd look at each other and say, "That's us? Wow, we sound good." We had never actually heard ourselves. I think it really helped to boost our confidence level. He has taken the recordings home with him and is going to remix them add some reverb etc and make us some CD's. He will be back in town at Thanksgiving so we're hoping to schedule another recording session. This IS fun!

On a side note, we are changing the name of the band....too much history with the old members. This has proven to be quite the dilemma. Picking a name is hard!

deach
10-06-2008, 01:49 AM
Are you going to post some samples for us to hear?

salukulady
10-06-2008, 01:54 AM
I have no idea how to.....but if someone teaches me I will when I get the recordings back.

SnakeOiler
10-06-2008, 02:57 AM
I have 2 bands
SnakeOilers (http://www.myspace.com/snakeoilers)
Total F*** Destruction (http://www.myspace.com/total****ingdestruction)

JoeyJr858
10-06-2008, 05:43 AM
here's some footage of the last band I was in... :D
I'm on drums...
We were called "WonderStruck".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20E0SvcCAMw

now I'm working on a solo album as lead singer and uke. I'M SOO NERVOUS!!!

lol

Howlin Hobbit
10-06-2008, 07:50 AM
We spent all day yesterday recording in my garage. We got 8 songs successfully recorded.

You got eight songs recorded in one session?! :bowdown:

hoosierhiver
10-06-2008, 07:54 AM
Khillbilly Caldera, 5 years running...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mAfkCrOcZg

salukulady
10-06-2008, 08:08 AM
You got eight songs recorded in one session?! :bowdown:

Yes, we couldn't believe it either.
In a former life, I ran a children's performing group and used to have to record 8 to 10 kids voices to pump up our sound at shows. Those recording sessions usually ended up with my husband (the sound guy) and I at each others throats, and the kids looking terrified, and we were just dealing with voices and two condenser mics. Yesterday, we had all the instrumentation (bass, guitar, two ukes, slide guitar, pans, keyboard, rhythm instruments, drum machine)and vocals all with an eight track recorder. It was the first time we had worked with a drum machine, and I have to admit I really liked it. I know they can sound boring in a live situation but boy did it keep us true to the beat.

Anyway, the eight final recordings were no way perfect but good enough for our purpose. Even my brother (who was recording us and filling in on bass at the same time) was amazed at all the work we got done. From setting up to finish it took about six hours.

Howlin Hobbit
10-06-2008, 12:47 PM
From setting up to finish it took about six hours.

Oi! That's right... rub it in! :p

salukulady
10-06-2008, 01:22 PM
Oi! That's right... rub it in! :pHey, we're newbies at this, ignorance is bliss. (maybe it was efficiently done because we're all broads,.....well except my brother.)

sukie
10-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Hey Salukulady --

Sounds like you are having the time of your life. We need vidoes now.

nikolo727
10-08-2008, 05:37 AM
yea i appear in this local band called, "Exodus day parade". its a christian, alternative, rock,thing, band. i play uke and backing vocals. look em up on myspace. all the stuff they have on there is kinda not good because (im not in it duhh jk) it was their first time recording anything lol.

salukulady
10-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Latest update....our new name is "Barefoot Wahines" 'a tropical rock band with a lei'd back island vibe'.

salukulady
10-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Barefoot Wahines finally got their music myspace together....check us out!

www.myspace.com/barefootwahines

FHS-72
10-29-2008, 11:55 AM
U gals sound great.:rock: glad u made it into the band. hope u gals get alot of gigs.

Aotearoa-Strummer
10-29-2008, 07:32 PM
I play in a band called Merchants of Flow. Nothing too serious but we have gigged a few times. We mostly play dub, reggae, roots sort of music which works well on a uke, and the best part because most Reggae songs only have 2 chords It looks like i'm a really good ukulele player!

Check us out here videos a bit scratchy but all good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp0OkkhODm4

Im on the right, i forgot my strap so I had to use the stage to rest my leg on for my uke!

ricdoug
10-29-2008, 09:38 PM
Barefoot Wahines finally got their music myspace together....check us out!www.myspace.com/barefootwahines

I think I jammed with some of your bandmates at Dwight's on Huntington
Beach last Sunday, Sally. Fun group of musicians. Beach Bum Tom Noble
put together a last minute jam. I got the word from an E-Mail from Ali Lexa.
Nice mix of songs in their Ukulele Jam books. Ric

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/HuntingtonBeachUke1.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/HuntingtonBeachUke2.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/HuntingtonBeachUke3.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/HuntingtonBeachUke4.jpg

ricdoug
10-29-2008, 09:39 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/HuntingtonBeachUke5.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/HuntingtonBeachUke6.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/HuntingtonBeachUke7.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/HuntingtonBeachUke8.jpg

TsouL
10-29-2008, 10:35 PM
me and some friends started a club at school and it turned into a band so every friday we find some place inside our school and just jam its pretty fun haha we have a wide range of instruments that come out some bring their bass, some bring their guitars, shoots we even had a violin haha and you cant forget the ukuleles=)

salukulady
10-30-2008, 03:51 AM
Ric Doug, yes you did! I only missed that day because my family was out of town. Hopefully they will do it again. Carrie our bass player was there. She was the one playing lap steel guitar. Thank you so much for the pics.

salukulady
11-19-2008, 11:02 AM
My band got our business cards today......oh. and we have new pics on our myspace.....

ricdoug
11-19-2008, 12:43 PM
My band got our business cards today......

I actually arranged this song for the ukulele, Sally. Now that y'all are "Official" with business cards and such, y'all should be playing this old Dr. Hook tune:

"ON THE COVER OF THE ROLLING STONE"

ah ha ha… I don’t believe it... … hey Ray, hey Sugar, tell ‘em who we are…)

Well, we big rock singers, we got golden fingers, and we’re loved everywhere we go.
(That sounds like us)
We sing about beauty and we sing about truth at ten thousand dollars a show.
We take all kind of pills to give us all kind of thrills but the thrill we’ve never known
Is the thrill that’ll getcha when you get your picture on the cover of the Rolling Stone.

Rolling Stone – wanna see my picture on the cover-
Stone- wanna buy 5 copies for my mother-
Stone- wanna see my smilin’ face
on the cover of the Rolling Stone.
(That’s a very good idea…)

I got a freaky old lady name a’ Cocaine Kitty who embroiders on my jeans.
I got my poor old gray-haired daddy
drivin’ my limousine.
Now it’s all designed to blow our minds
but our minds won’t really be blown
like the blow that’ll getcha when you get your picture on the cover of the Rolling Stone.

Rolling Stone- wanna see our pictures on the cover-
Stone- wanna buy 5 copies for our mothers-
Stone- wanna see my smilin’ face
on the cover of the Rolling Stone.

ROCK AND ROLL!
(Aw, that’s just beautiful)

We got a lotta little teenage blue-eyed groupies
who do anything we say.
We got a genuine Indian guru
who’s teachin’ us a better way.
We got all the friends that money can buy
so we never have to be alone.
And we keep getting’ richer but we can’t get our picture
on the cover of the Rolling Stone

Rolling Stone- wanna see my picture on the cover-
Stone- wanna buy 5 copies for my mother-
Stone- wanna see my smilin’ face on the cover of the Rolling Stone.

On the cover of the Rolling…
Wanna see my picture on the cover-
wanna buy 5 copies for my mother-
wanna see my smilin’ face on the cover of the Rolling Stone.

(Man, I can see it now… there we are… on the front, smilin)

salukulady
11-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Cool....can you get me your arrangement?

Howlin Hobbit
11-19-2008, 06:25 PM
My band got our business cards today......

What's this "senihaw tooferab?" :eek:

Once I d/l'd the pic and told my viewer to flip it horizontally I thought it was a cool card... but the first view made me sniff suspiciously at my bourbon.

"A tropical rock band with a laid back island vibe."

Snake Suspenderz is "A drinking band with a jazz problem."

salukulady
11-19-2008, 06:29 PM
What's this "senihaw tooferab?" :eek:

Once I d/l'd the pic and told my viewer to flip it horizontally I thought it was a cool card... but the first view made me sniff suspiciously at my bourbon.

"A tropical rock band with a laid back island vibe."

Snake Suspenderz is "A drinking band with a jazz problem."

That's "lei'd back island vibe." and I love your band's motto.....

ricdoug
11-19-2008, 09:03 PM
Cool....can you get me your arrangement?

It took me a while to type it this way to post, Sally, but I played it twice after reformatting the text:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?p=74459#post74459

salukulady
11-20-2008, 04:02 AM
Wow Ric, thank you so much. I really appreciate this. Can't wait to show it to the band.
Sally

ricdoug
11-20-2008, 07:55 AM
Can't wait to show it to the band.

Break out the bell-bottoms, headbands and tie die, Sally! I bet Kanaka916 has those items buried in his closet, too. LOL! Ric

"Don't bogart that joint, my friend. Pass it over to me"

Lawn Jockey
11-20-2008, 08:07 AM
My acoustic duo Lawn Jockey (http://www.lawnjockeymusic.com) writes, records, and performs original folk, Celtic, and psycho-bluegrass music.

We use 6 & 12 string guitar, mandolin, and I may find a way to sneak in ukulele on the next release (2009).

ONYX
11-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Me and me mate are trying to put something together...he plays double bass, we got four songs down ATM, we're looking at adding a drummer (snare with brushes) and a harmica or melodica

digging 50's 60's music ATM

stay tuned

salukulady
11-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Me and me mate are trying to put something together...he plays double bass, we got four songs down ATM, we're looking at adding a drummer (snare with brushes) and a harmica or melodica

digging 50's 60's music ATM

stay tunedThat's cool! Those were the best decades for music.

ONYX
11-30-2008, 09:59 PM
So we have a prospective set list we are going to work on

Goes a little something like this, in no particular order

Take Good Care of My Baby - Bobby Vee
Cupid - Sam Cooke
Bye Bye Love - Everly Brothers
Blue Moon Of Kentucky
Twistin the Night Away - Sam Cooke
You've Got A Friend in Me - Randy Newman
Kiss of Fire - Louis Armstrong
Save the last dance for me - The Drifters
Short People - Randy Newman
Since i Fell For You - Buddy Johnson
Yakety Yak - The Coasters

salukulady
12-01-2008, 04:10 AM
Those are all excellent songs. Such a great era for music. And Newmans music fits anywhere.

salukulady
01-03-2009, 04:48 PM
A little update on the Barefoot Wahines.....well, we got all excited around the end of November. A yacht club we played for last summer contacted us and wanted to hire us to play for their New Years Eve party. We were so ready! We spent the next 3 weeks working up lots of dance songs, found a drummer, conned my brother and his wife to drive down from Santa Maria to play with us to boost our sound, (another guitar and sax) and went from being a four piece luau band to a 6 piece New Years Eve dance band. Then we got the call....they cancelled their party.....we were so bummed.

Meanwhile we did get together with my brother and his 8 track recorder and recorded 7 more songs. I went up to his house last week and learned a little on how to mix a song....wow, what a lot of work. It's very interesting and I want to make another trip up to his house to work on the recordings some more. The more you mix a song, the pickier you get about the end result.

Anyway, this gives us 15 songs for our CD that we can play with for family gifts, our youtube site and try out material.....that was the main reason for recording. No one want's to hire you unless they can hear you.

I'm currently going thru band rehearsal withdrawal....haven't played with the girls in over three weeks and due to family vacations and we won't see each other until the 11th. Plus all the uke groups I play with took breaks over the holidays. I'm gonna be rusty.....

So how are all the other bands doing? Any NYE gigs?

mhh
01-03-2009, 04:52 PM
I play bass in a metal band. I'm trying to put a CD together of solo ukulele stuff behind their back, tho....

ricdoug
01-03-2009, 04:57 PM
All our local groups have had a two week hiatus too, Sally. I've had plenty of time to polish and adjust my ukes and guitars. Also the drumsets, keyboards, amps and P.A.'s. Three kanikapila's next week should be a nice warmup for the year. I always keep two ukes in the car, to play when the spousal unit's (wifee) shopping or jam with someone else on the move. Are you going to sell those CD's? Ric

salukulady
01-03-2009, 05:16 PM
All our local groups have had a two week hiatus too, Sally. I've had plenty of time to polish and adjust my ukes and guitars. Also the drumsets, keyboards, amps and P.A.'s. Three kanikapila's next week should be a nice warmup for the year. I always keep two ukes in the car, to play when the spousal unit's (wifee) shopping or jam with someone else on the move. Are you going to sell those CD's? Ric

Oh gosh, I don't know. Would love to, it would help offset some of the costs, but we're just a cover band that doesn't belong to ascap or anything, so the recordings are kinda illegal to sell.....anyone know a way around that? I know playing others' songs at a gig for money is illegal, but have no idea how important it is to join ascap. In my former life as a children's performing group director, we paid dues to ascap thru our head office for permission to use songs, but we were part of a nationwide franchise. How many garage bands do it the legal way? And how important is it?

Howlin Hobbit
01-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Sorry to hear about the disappointment!

My band got contacted about a birthday party late last year. The guy diddled around, took forever to reply to emails, etc. and, after several weeks of me and the other guys having that date blocked off in our calendars decided he wasn't going to hire us after all.

Feh!

So how are all the other bands doing? Any NYE gigs?

On the other paw... we sent in a Snake Suspenderz (http://www.snakesuspenderz.com/) PR package to First Night Tacoma (http://www.firstnighttacoma.org/) and got hired.

Probably the best gig, monetarily speaking, that we've had. We got $500 for one 45 minute set. w00t! Dunno how anyone else's band handles such things, but we did $100/man and used the other hundred to take care of petrol and parking with the remainder going into the band kitty.

We like to have a kitty so if we get offered a gig that we want to do (because of expanding our territory or just because it sounds like fun) that doesn't pay so much, we have gas money and such available.

Best part of the gig was the fact that we filled all the seats (there were a LOT of venues with music plus street activities) and there were at least 30 other folk standing around in the back of the room. We didn't bring enough CDs. Sold out every one we brought in just a few minutes after our set.

The audience was great too! Very responsive and open to fun. That's what we shoot for, that fun thing.

But the best of the best part was looking up about 2 or 3 songs into the set and seeing my friend and hero, Baby Gramps (http://www.babygramps.com/), standing in the back. He stayed for the rest of the show, signed up on our mailing list and was one of the folk that wanted to buy a CD after we'd already sold out.

We're oh so hoping we get a chance to open for one (or more!) of Grampie's shows.

And we want more gigs like this, oh yes.

salukulady
01-03-2009, 05:49 PM
$500 for one 45 minute gig? Wow! that's so cool. And what a rush to have Baby Gramps in the audience.

Yes yes yes! It does make a huge difference to have a great audience. We played three songs at our local uke group xmas party. The room was stiff. The soundman sucked, (sorry Dan if you're reading this) and the audience sat there with the "show us what you can do" look on their faces. Argh, it was terrible. Our 3rd number was Jimmy Buffett's Fins, and they wouldn't even warm up for that. Personally, I like an audience that's drunk. They're always appreciative and FUN!

I like your band kitty fund. That's really a great idea. Once we get rolling with regular gigs, I think we'll do that. I don't want to think about all the $$$ I've shelled out the last 6 months on paper, printing, business cards, CD's, cases, labeling system etc., let alone all the hours I've spent finding and rearranging songs for the band. The girls are all very supportive and appreciative of the work I've put in and I've kept all the receipts. They've tried to get numbers out of me but I'm waiting for when a good paying gig comes around I'll get reimbursed. I did this stuff 'cuz I wanted to, not because it was expected. I'm just excited I even get to play with them.

Howlin Hobbit
01-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Are you going to sell those CD's?

Oh gosh, I don't know. Would love to, it would help offset some of the costs, but we're just a cover band that doesn't belong to ascap or anything, so the recordings are kinda illegal to sell.....anyone know a way around that? I know playing others' songs at a gig for money is illegal, but have no idea how important it is to join ascap . . . How many garage bands do it the legal way? And how important is it?

For live performances: in most cases, it's the venue's job to cover the ASCAP and/or BMI fees.

Strictly speaking, you can't even give away recordings of cover tunes. If whoever holds the rights to the tune(s) want to get stinky about it, they can sue for damages, even for all the YouTube and such stuff that a lot of us do.

As far as selling the recordings though, it's pretty easy to get a mechanical license from the Harry Fox agency (the main place, though there are others). The problem is that it's about $50/song and that just covers the first 500 copies you make. Note, that's make, not sell. They don't care if you give 'em all away, they want their money.

That being said, I know lots of people who're selling CDs with illegal cover tunes on them. Generally if you're small time, you don't even appear on the lawyer's radar. But it is still illegal.

With those fees in mind... if you're going to release a 15 song CD it would be about $750 just for the rights. That means that if you sell your CD for $15 and you make a run of 500, you'd have to sell about 134 of them just to recover licensing and duplication fees (at the average price of about $2.50/CD for production... duplication, packaging, etc.).

Don't get too discouraged though... if you sell all the rest of them at $15 you're still pulling in almost $5500. Not bad. It's just the approximately 2 grand in up front fees that hurts. And let's not even talk about having your CD professionally mastered before duplication.

Snake Suspenderz is currently recording a 15 song CD, however, we're only including 2 (or maybe 3) covers, one of which is in the public domain. So that's only $50 - $100 for licensing fees. If we sell more than 500 copies we'll happily re-up the license (after we get done dancing around the room).

We are also lucky in that Thaddeus, besides having a nice recording studio, also has a side-business of short-run CD production, so we do all of that "in-house."

Sounds like you kids ought to just sit down and start writing some tunes. It's not all that hard. And the more you write, the better you get at it. I keep thinking I'm going to have to do a blog post on how I approach the songwriting thing. Ask me real nice and I might put it higher on the priority list.

Remember, Howlin' Hobbit is quite open to bribery of all kinds.

(Did I say that in my out loud voice?)

We just finished recording a tune I recently wrote. Less than two weeks between penning the thing and getting it "on tape." I'm writing another one (as is Thad) even now. We've already recorded one that we co-wrote.

The process is fun, both solo and with one or more writing partners. Give it a whirl.

salukulady
01-03-2009, 06:04 PM
Thank you, Hobbit. I knew you would know the ropes. A while back we were checking out a contest and thought about sending in a recording until I read the fine print that stated it must be an original song. We haven't written any songs. We all looked at each other and agreed this was something we had to eventually do. Our keyboard player is a high school english teacher and our bass player is an incredible musician that really knows a ton of music theory, so it is possible. Hell, if Brian Wilson could do it when he was a kid why can't we?

ricdoug
01-03-2009, 11:18 PM
until I read the fine print that stated it must be an original song. We haven't written any songs. We all looked at each other and agreed this was something we had to eventually do. Our keyboard player is a high school english teacher and our bass player is an incredible musician that really knows a ton of music theory, so it is possible. Hell, if Brian Wilson could do it when he was a kid why can't we?

Having met Carrie I know that's not only possible, but probable, Sally. Carrie rocks on the lap steel, too! I'd still pay for a bootleg of y'all's covers. PM me if y'all decide to do it. Ric

Is that your new percussionist, next to Carrie? She really knows how to hold a backbeat:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/HuntingtonBeachUke2.jpg

Percussionist's hubby on the left:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/HuntingtonBeachUke6.jpg

salukulady
01-04-2009, 05:23 AM
The day you met Carrie, she had only been playing the lap steel about a month. She's the kind of person that sees an instrument, says, "That might be fun to play", buys one and then teaches herself to play it. She first picked up a guitar when she was 12 and never looked back. She see no limit to what anyone can learn and is more than willing to teach everyone. She has more confidence in me than I have in myself. One of her guitars is sitting in my living room taunting me. She's convinced I can learn to play it. She's amazing.

The drummer in the pic and her husband are Marie and Mike Sandidge. They are good people. She sat in with us last summer when we needed a drummer. They are from a band that has been playing together for over six years called VR5.

Our new drummer is a guy named Scott. (Yes, we even let boys play in the band.) He's a fellow uke player and a great drummer.

When we get our recordings cleaned up I'll get you a copy of our CD.

Hey Ric, do you know a band named Coral Reefer Madness? Went to a Parrothead xmas party and they played. They're from your area. They were fantastic. Check out their website www.coralreefermadness.com

Captain Google
01-04-2009, 06:02 AM
Y'all're makin' me jealous. I'm not in a band, and I'm not much of a solo artist. Maybe someday, but I'll have to keep practicing for now.

Those of you in bands are so lucky! :D

salukulady
01-04-2009, 06:50 AM
Y'all're makin' me jealous. I'm not in a band, and I'm not much of a solo artist. Maybe someday, but I'll have to keep practicing for now.

Those of you in bands are so lucky! :D

Hey Googie, (how's that for a nickname) you too can be in a band. Just get a few friends together and start playing. It's amazing what you can do with just a little talent and a whole lotta enthusiasm. I just want to play music. I can't believe people actually give us money to play. You can't be too self critical or you'll never do it. I had only been playing uke for 6 months when our bass player asked me to join them. I was blown away, I was still learning how to hold the damn thing and she wants me to stand in front of people, play AND sing? I am definitely the leastest musician in our group, but as a very wise Hobbit once posted, "Everybody brings something to the table" and I am learning to spread my wings and enjoy doing what I am capable of doing.

A great example of someone "just doing it". I knew my oldest daughter (she's 25) was interested in playing bass. She has been messing around with guitar since she was young. Lately she had been coming over and borrowing her little brothers bass. I was having a band practice at my house about a month ago, and she stopped by and was speaking with my bands bass player. Seems she had made arrangements to buy an old electric bass my band mate was selling. I thought that was cool and said, "So you want to learn bass?" And she replied, "Well, yes, I'm trying out for a band this afternoon." THAT AFTERNOON. Talk about guts. She's is now playing with this all girl punk band, (I describe them as the Go Go's gone bad) and totally confident in her ability to play with these girls.

My point here is, all of us have more ability than we give ourselves credit for. My whole life I grew up around my older siblings who were all so much more talented than I and I was always so intimidated by that. It took my fellow band mate to BS me into thinking I could do it, and then I realized I could ( maybe not perfect but okay).....and I waited until I was 47 to do it. Don't wait until you're better, or you'll never do it.

Okay, off the soapbox, Sally......

Captain Google
01-04-2009, 07:40 AM
I can honestly say I've never been called Googie before. I've had stranger nicknames, though, such as Googlygoo.

Anyway, Those are sage words, to be sure. I'll keep them in mind.

Now I just need to find someone to jam with. Wish me luck!

Howlin Hobbit
01-04-2009, 07:45 AM
Now I just need to find someone to jam with. Wish me luck!

I have no idea about West Virginia geography, but if you go here (http://openmikes.org/calendar/WV/) (openmikes.org) you'll see a lot of towns with open mikes. Whether one or more of them is close to where you're at I dunno.

Bear in mind that there are lots of instruments that go well with the ukulele, so if you don't find another uker, you're still in luck.

salukulady
01-04-2009, 08:25 AM
Great site, Hobbit, Thank you.

ricdoug
01-04-2009, 08:58 AM
Hey Ric, do you know a band named Coral Reefer Madness? Went to a Parrothead xmas party and they played. They're from your area. They were fantastic. Check out their website www.coralreefermadness.com

I have not seen them, Sally. They play often at the Ocean House where the Ukulele Society of America meets, though:

http://www.coralreefermadness.com/pages/calendar.html

I am good friends with Mike Adams, who was Jimmy Buffet's touring sound engineer for ove 18 years. Mike's helped engineer P.A. cabinets for Yamaha and does work at Sound Image in Escondido. I actually met him at a rifle shooting competition, before knowing who he is. Ric

salukulady
01-25-2009, 10:42 AM
I have not seen them, Sally. They play often at the Ocean House where the Ukulele Society of America meets, though:

http://www.coralreefermadness.com/pages/calendar.html

I am good friends with Mike Adams, who was Jimmy Buffet's touring sound engineer for ove 18 years. Mike's helped engineer P.A. cabinets for Yamaha and does work at Sound Image in Escondido. I actually met him at a rifle shooting competition, before knowing who he is. RicThat's pretty cool. I bet he's got some great stories.....just don't let him catch you spellin' Jimmy's name with one T. Parrotheads are a little crazy. It's Buffett.

salukulady
01-25-2009, 10:53 AM
Barefoot Wahine update: Spent three days at my brothers' house remixing our recordings. Wow. what a job. It was really fun but a lot of work. I learned so much about live recording and mixing. Still have a little bit more to clean up, but when we're finished we will have a good demo CD with 45 to 60 seconds of each of our songs to give out to venues and a full length CD for friends and family. If you'd like to hear a few of our newer cleaned up recordings, check us out on our myspace at the address below. Positive comments and constructive criticism are welcome.

Kaneohe til the end
01-25-2009, 11:00 AM
Barefoot Wahine update:

you took out the "s"? good job!

salukulady
01-25-2009, 11:56 AM
you took out the "s"? good job!Actually no, I just spelled it wrong. We've got it printed too many places to change it. Beside we're just a silly haole cover band.:p

ricdoug
01-25-2009, 12:42 PM
just don't let him catch you spellin' Jimmy's name with one T. Parrotheads are a little crazy. It's Buffett.

One of my wife's friends is a parroTThead, Sally. I spelled it wrong once and she said "It's Spelled B-U-F-F-E-T-T, Ric. A B-U-F-F-E-T is between my legs"...! My wife was ROFL her Merazz off and my face was beet purple. How quickly I forget... LOL! <sitting in front of my computer, red-faced> Ric

Captain Google
01-25-2009, 01:01 PM
I could have gone all day without reading that, ric. :p

salukulady
01-25-2009, 03:10 PM
One of my wife's friends is a parroTThead, Sally. I spelled it wrong once and she said "It's Spelled B-U-F-F-E-T-T, Ric. A B-U-F-F-E-T is between my legs"...! My wife was ROFL her Merazz off and my face was beet purple. How quickly I forget... LOL! <sitting in front of my computer, red-faced> RicYes, we parrotheads are an odd phlock....

ricdoug
01-25-2009, 08:22 PM
I enjoyed the tunes on MySpace, Sally. Who's singing the lead vocals? Ric

ukulelemotion
01-26-2009, 05:24 AM
congrats on being in a band.. bands are super fun.. especially when drinking at a ukulele meet. hahaa. a couple of highlights for the band( they call us the Miles Family Band, MFB also stands for something not easily said.. haha or we like to joke with the name Brownstain. haha. ) we got to jam with Dominator and Russ_Buss... and we got to be video of the week here on UU. post a vid of your performance.

cpatch
01-26-2009, 06:51 AM
Bill Tapia is 101 and he's still playing in bands. You're too old when you decide you are.

Craig

cpatch
01-26-2009, 06:54 AM
She's is now playing with this all girl punk band, (I describe them as the Go Go's gone bad)
They should call themselves the Gone Gone's. :p

Craig

haole
01-26-2009, 07:03 AM
I'm in an informal two-man "band" that rarely practices and doesn't have enough material to play out. :B I play drums and my friend plays guitar, but if we get bored we'll switch instruments. We sound okay and we have good ideas, but the whole thing would be better if we could find one more person to jam with us.

Is it wrong that I'm already plotting a side project with my ukulele?

uke142464
01-26-2009, 11:36 AM
im in one, except I play the guitar. But the guys im with will let me incorperate uke into songs too.:D

UkEdman90
01-26-2009, 11:56 AM
well here is my sad story from the general thred

my little band just broke up TODAY! we had a lil practice scheduled and once again people had to bring the GF's along. Yet again they negative comments started coming. Then my bass player got all fed up at the woman and decided to scream and yell at her calling her Very explicit names. I was raised to respect women and did not stand for this. So i took him outside calmly told him i would not stand for his behavior in my house told him to leave. he then decided to become very angry and try to pick a fight. I have been friends with this guy since 7th grade here people! He then stupidly tries to swing at me! now im not the best fighter in the world but i have had my few shares of scuffles through public school, so i pin him told him to leave without his GF so him and his brother, the guitar player, left. I took his now X gf home, and called it a day with the practice. I returned home with my main bro Ray the drummer and we decided to end the band. This has happened before but never resulted in violence so tis done! but we played a few gigs here and there it was cool! haha sry had to vent!

so yeah now its a two man band me on the uke ray on the drums haha

Howlin Hobbit
01-26-2009, 04:07 PM
Is 51 too old to be in a band?

Just noticed this quoted by someone else in the thread (hope I haven't responded to it earlier... it's an old thread) but...

I sure hope not. I'm 50 and I'm not the oldest in my band. We seem to hobble along pretty well despite our decrepitude.

MGM
01-26-2009, 04:27 PM
I get to be in my old band next mointh for one night after 30 years of not playing together all the original except the girl singerl members are back for a reunion concert. Kelii ukuleles owner wife is sitting in with us....
see me pictured as a young buck over 30 years ago go to'70'snightclubreunion and download the flyer see if you can pick out MGM...

http://www.70snightclubreunion.com/

salukulady
01-26-2009, 07:24 PM
I enjoyed the tunes on MySpace, Sally. Who's singing the lead vocals? RicOur keyboard player, Lori. She's a wonderful singer. We do mix it up, I sing some and I'm working on Carrie singing more, but Lori's our star.

salukulady
01-26-2009, 07:26 PM
Bill Tapia is 101 and he's still playing in bands. You're too old when you decide you are.

CraigJust saw him play last week with the Smokin' Menehunes at Catalina Fish Kitchen in Huntington Beach. He's amazing.

salukulady
01-26-2009, 07:27 PM
They should call themselves the Gone Gone's. :p

Craig
Actually they're called Apocalipstick. They have a myspace if anyone wants to check them out.

salukulady
01-30-2009, 05:24 PM
So last week when I went to see the Smokin' Menehunes and Bill Tapia at a local restaurant my whole band went. The Menehunes are a great trio that makes audiences feel at home. The uke player Pat Enos always includes the audience in the show. He saw that we were singing along to most of their numbers and asked us to join him on stage. We got our lead singer to go up and sing with the band. It was fun and during the break we spoke with him and gave him a copy of our new demo. We then went over to the owner of the restaurant, smiled pretty and gave him a CD and a business card. Well, the owner called today and we are going to be playing there sometime in February. Yay! We're hoping this will work into a regular gig.

JKoval
01-30-2009, 05:39 PM
I'm in the now pre-recording band 'Don't Talk to Me About the Mayor!' (On myspace!) And we're having so much fun. My Spanish teacher is so active for an older woman, she plays guitars in her Church based band and she has a helluva time. Sometimes she brings it in and we sing some Spanish songs that have to do with the verb-tenses we're learning!

-Jeff

benmealer
01-31-2009, 01:07 PM
I'm not really in a band, but my bandmate's in a reggea band called Bodoma. He's the guy w/ the guitar. Here's their myspace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=340979039

http://i40.tinypic.com/21oaqn6.jpg

Ukuleleblues
01-31-2009, 01:41 PM
well here is my sad story from the general thred

so yeah now its a two man band me on the uke ray on the drums haha

You prompted me to post the thread "Artistic Difference - Band Thoughts"

I could have posted alot more stuff about my ex band mate and GF but didn't have the time. Al least you still have percussion in you band. Uke on Dude

JKoval
01-31-2009, 06:42 PM
You prompted me to post the thread "Artistic Difference - Band Thoughts"

I could have posted alot more stuff about my ex band mate and GF but didn't have the time. Al least you still have percussion in you band. Uke on Dude

You never realize how vital percussion is to a band until you don't have it!

salukulady
01-31-2009, 07:06 PM
You never realize how vital percussion is to a band until you don't have it!For low key music, drum machines are fine....and a hell of a lot less hassle. Every live drummer my band has tried out does not know the definition of "Play Soft". In my entire lifetime of being around musicians, I have known exactly ONE drummer that knew how to play well and soft.

Jroby
01-31-2009, 09:05 PM
for a percussionist playing soft and consistent is quite a challenge, also its fun as hell to bang the hell out of drums:D

sebi
01-31-2009, 11:03 PM
for a percussionist playing soft and consistent is quite a challenge, also its fun as hell to bang the hell out of drums:D

ha ha ha, that is true!

still, if you play in a band with a real professional drummer it is a real treat. (most) professional drummers know how to keep the time and groove while they actually play with very moderate volume. in my opinion, that is a sign of quality. of course, it depends on the genre you're playing. a wouldn't want a drummer in metal band caressing the drums. on the other hand, i don't want a pop drummer beating the hell out of the drum kit. a good drummer should know that and be able to adjust to the situation.

poopylungstuffing
02-01-2009, 09:31 AM
I am in a band called organ failure.
I have been singing in bands since I was 15, but have only played Uke in a few different projects.

RadRenee
02-01-2009, 10:30 AM
So cool that you are in that band now!!! It sounds awesome =)

I am not in a band. I am kind of shy about playing in front of people who are really experienced with playing an instrument. Still, I would be sooo happy if someone asked me to be in their band. I would really like to be in a band that sings more along the indie-folk genre, which is a uke friendly zone!

setstage
02-01-2009, 12:34 PM
So cool that you are in that band now!!! It sounds awesome =)

I am not in a band. I am kind of shy about playing in front of people who are really experienced with playing an instrument. Still, I would be sooo happy if someone asked me to be in their band. I would really like to be in a band that sings more along the indie-folk genre, which is a uke friendly zone!

Being shy is normal but in general, but especially if you wanna be a musician, you need to just do what you can, some people in a band with you will be better, some worse, but you need to play with confidence, even if you suck, a lot, CONFIDENCE is KEY

salukulady
02-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Being shy is normal but in general, but especially if you wanna be a musician, you need to just do what you can, some people in a band with you will be better, some worse, but you need to play with confidence, even if you suck, a lot, CONFIDENCE is KEYA little bullshit goes a long way!

FANaddic(t)
02-01-2009, 06:05 PM
I was recently asked to join a band. Before today, I'd say we were just goofing around. But today....awesome! We have a uke (me), a guitar, two trombones, and a trumpet. Our first gig will be walking in a Mardi Gras parade. We're playing some blues and jazz and our very own version of Mardi Gras Mambo.

And after today, the general consensus was...we definitely need to keep playing after MG. I'm stoked!!

ricdoug
02-01-2009, 06:55 PM
For low key music, drum machines are fine....and a hell of a lot less hassle. Every live drummer my band has tried out does not know the definition of "Play Soft". In my entire lifetime of being around musicians, I have known exactly ONE drummer that knew how to play well and soft.

I like the built in drum machine in the Microcube RX, Sally. Very versatile. Ric

ricdoug
02-01-2009, 07:01 PM
Our first gig will be walking in a Mardi Gras parade. We're playing some blues and jazz and our very own version of Mardi Gras Mambo.

Parades are fun and VERY noisy. We (the Wind an Sea Ukulele Orchestra and Ukulele Society of America) played at the La Jolla (San Diego) Christmas parade. The large crowd loved it. Ric

ricdoug
02-01-2009, 07:02 PM
A little bullshit goes a long way!

Sally talk like Sailor. Me like! LOL! Ric

salukulady
02-01-2009, 07:39 PM
I like the built in drum machine in the Microcube RX, Sally. Very versatile. RicMy son got one for Christmas for his bass. It's very cool.

salukulady
02-01-2009, 07:39 PM
Sally talk like Sailor. Me like! LOL! RicMama taught me well.

salukulady
02-01-2009, 07:40 PM
I was recently asked to join a band. Before today, I'd say we were just goofing around. But today....awesome! We have a uke (me), a guitar, two trombones, and a trumpet. Our first gig will be walking in a Mardi Gras parade. We're playing some blues and jazz and our very own version of Mardi Gras Mambo.

And after today, the general consensus was...we definitely need to keep playing after MG. I'm stoked!!How cool. Isn't it exciting?

FANaddic(t)
02-02-2009, 08:09 AM
Parades are fun and VERY noisy. We (the Wind an Sea Ukulele Orchestra and Ukulele Society of America) played at the La Jolla (San Diego) Christmas parade. The large crowd loved it. Ric

Yes, VERY loud. Hence the need for an electric uke and amp! The guitar player and I are both getting an amp and having a groupie (LOL) tote them around for us, probably in a wagon. Plus, a wagon is a fabulous place to keep "refreshments" handy!

FANaddic(t)
02-02-2009, 08:14 AM
How cool. Isn't it exciting?

It is very exciting! And my playing has never progressed so quickly. Jamming with like-minded people is unbelievable. My little uke holds it's own and people are quite impressed by it's versatility. They just wish their instrument made them look half as cool. :p

salukulady
02-02-2009, 08:29 AM
It is very exciting! And my playing has never progressed so quickly. Jamming with like-minded people is unbelievable. My little uke holds it's own and people are quite impressed by it's versatility. They just wish their instrument made them look half as cool. :pHow fun! Make sure and post some pics after the parade.

tshirtandties
02-16-2009, 10:15 AM
Aloha!

Me and my mate are starting a sort of duo band this weekend -
me on the ukulele and him on acoustic guitar
were gonna do mostly surf music but some modern aswell :)

mike.

salukulady
03-12-2009, 02:22 AM
Barefoot Wahine update:
For those of you following the saga of my band, we had a gig last Saturday at a local restaurant. The crowd was wonderful (all our friends) and we packed the place. We had a line out the door. We had a real good time on stage and absolutely no drama backstage. My husband was there as our sound man. Then this Tuesday we played a street fair. That was fun also. Good experience, learned how to run sound on our own (the hubby was at work) and operate a generator.
We're hoping both these venues ask us back. We have been rehearsing so long and we are so ready for more stage time. You can practice and practice 'til your blue in the face, but there is such a huge learning curve when you have an audience in front of you.

buddhuu
03-13-2009, 12:00 AM
Congrats on your gig! :D :music:

My band, The Ploughmen, evolved out of a pub ballad session I founded about 3 or 4 years ago. It's made up of members from a number of local rock, rockabilly and blues bands, so it gets laughingly referred to as a "supergroup"!

It's (usually) a 9-piece! Guitars, banjo, double bass, sax, mandolin, ukuleles, drums and occasionally bouzouki, fiddle and tin whistle. Conceptwise I suppose we've ended up a bit Hayseed Dixie insofar as we do covers of songs in unexpected styles. I guess we're kind of like a Hayseed/Bonzos influenced rockgrass/jazz/rock&roll/pop band.

We usually play just for drinks and food as we want to keep this project totally for fun. The guys' other bands get paid, but The Ploughmen exists for the crack, not for the money. Only exceptions are gigs outside our usual 10 mile radius where travel and logistics costs become noticeable. These "outland" gigs are charged at normal band rates. We usually play in local pubs and clubs, so paid gigs are rare, and that's how we like it.

We try to be different in every way from the usual pub rock kind of act. We play sitting down, we use minimal PA (unless its a big venue we just use one PA speaker plonked on the floor!). Various members get up and wander off during the set, and audience participation is encouraged. We try whatever the hell we want to, and mistakes and false starts are frequent - so frequent that they have become a feature of the act and are treated (and received) as comedy asides.

For some inexplicable reason, the band is very popular indeed and we always get return gig invites.

The band website is linked in my signature. The Ploughmen is the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on.

In the pic below I am 2nd from right playing mandolin. You can just make out a pinkish, lilacish Makala dolphin plywood uke on a stand between my feet and my amp! :D

http://www.whitehatseo.net/images/ymcaboot.jpg

PoisonDart
03-13-2009, 07:05 AM
I'm trying to get my fake skiffle band to turn into a real skiffle band, but I don't really have a practice space.

In my mind we have minimally: percussion on bucket drums and other home made instruments, thumb piano (no distortion for sweet songs, distorted for punk rock songs), and ukulele.

With additional slots reserved for another ukulele player and a cellist. celloist? cello player.

My girlfriend has stolen one of my concert ukes and started to play, and I conned this girl with a fantastic voice and a prior interest in thumb piano to play with me last night at an open mic.

I've gotten some interest, but it's hard getting the ball rolling. Here's to hoping the summertime helps it all work! :cheers:

salukulady
04-22-2009, 10:21 PM
Well, the Barefoot Wahines are doing well. We've been asked back to the local restaurant and will play there May 9th. It looks like this will be a regular once a month gig. I have made contact with several other locations and am very excited. It shoud be a really great summer.

Here's a question for those of you that have successful bands? Do you pass out swag....bumper stickers, buttons and stuff like that. We have buttons (one inch rounds) with our name on them and our myspace address that we give away. We wanted to get bumper stickers, but to get vinyl stickers that are UV coated is very expensive. Anyone have any ideas of other items we could give away?

mountainmaui
04-24-2009, 02:24 PM
good work with the resturant!!
i was in a reggae band but i am currently lookn for a new one because im with a record company now :)
if you wanted check us out on...

myspace.com/mountainmaui
twiter.com/mountainmaui
facebook.com/mountainmaui

add if you get a chance. music will be up very soon, when im done recording it!!
were in colorado so if your in town look us up at bars, churches and resturants.

peace and love

-chad zimmerman :shaka:

JKoval
04-24-2009, 06:56 PM
Well, the Barefoot Wahines are doing well. We've been asked back to the local restaurant and will play there May 9th. It looks like this will be a regular once a month gig. I have made contact with several other locations and am very excited. It shoud be a really great summer.

Here's a question for those of you that have successful bands? Do you pass out swag....bumper stickers, buttons and stuff like that. We have buttons (one inch rounds) with our name on them and our myspace address that we give away. We wanted to get bumper stickers, but to get vinyl stickers that are UV coated is very expensive. Anyone have any ideas of other items we could give away?

People LOVE giveaways... I particularly like stickers... and the good thing for the artist, or whoever is giving them away, is that people usually stick them in obvious places, and your name is out there EVEN more!

-Jeff

UkuLeLesReggAe
04-24-2009, 06:59 PM
i can honestly say i am...
...see, im my own band, and the mirror is my audience and bathroom is my stage

salukulady
05-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Regarding swag: The Barefoot Wahines have ordered more buttons to give away at our gigs, but our youngest and prob. wisest member suggested we set a goal to raise enough money in the band kitty, (we split income from gigs, but put tips and CD sales go in the band kitty) this summer to purchase bumper stickers to give out. Now most people would assume that stickers are cheap, but they are not. You want stickers that are crack proof and UV proof. For 1000 3x5 2 color stickers, you are looking at around $600. So that's our big goal for the summer.

Had a great 6 hour rehearsal today. Added 8 songs to our 2 sets and made it through both sets working out the kinks. We will meet again on Friday night for a run through before Saturday night. If any of you want to catch our show, we will be at Catalina Fish Kitchen Saturday, May 9th at 6:30. The restaurant is located at 19171 Magnolia at Garfield in Huntington Beach, CA. If any of you come by, make sure you connect with me....I'm the uke player, big surprise!

Daionsavage
05-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Regarding giveaways.
I would love to find a cheap way to make a CD-single with one or two tracks to hand out to the audience. Other things would be posters, ashtrays, booklets, bottle openers, hankerchiefs, scarves, T-shirts or even cheap jewelry (plastic rings or earpins with the band name on them). But I've never gone furter than stickers and buttons.

as for playing in a band: A couple of years ago I was in four different bands, but it was impossible to keep things together with both family and work so I had leave a couple of those. I'm in two bands right now and me and my wife run a bass/vocals duo (gigging on thursday night :cool: ).
But it's not as a uke player I do band stuff, I'm one of the ugly bass players.

With the acoustic jazz/folk group Magic Connection:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/Drulle/Magic%20connection/DSCN3844.jpg

and with the klezmer band Stöld (wich means theft in swedish -we stole all our songs when we started out)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/Drulle/stold/pascen.jpg

But it happens that the uke gets some stage-time too, this is me and my son (and my wife standing on the chair) during a masquerade in february:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/Drulle/IMG_3240.jpg

ricdoug
05-03-2009, 09:24 PM
Good looking family, Daionsavage. Love family costumes and makeup.

As for buttons, bells and whistles, we have not thought of that yet, Sally. We do pass out business cards and club flyers to those that ask for band information. What really works for us is getting our audiences involved in the hula. Makes them feel like part of the band and ohana. Ric

krabbers
05-03-2009, 09:33 PM
my band is called six miles away , after my song of the same name "six miles away",
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxm8mhVAkVw

we play Country Rock Acoustic Pop, (look at the first letters) our moto is the more you drink the better we sound, i always do a uke bit between the two sets , as here >>>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dVVnen_ZpQ
what would be realy cool is if some of you guys came past and left a comment or even subbed us, we dont put up many vids so you would not be bombarded with rubbish

www.youtube.com/sixmilesaway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGBk3AQvidA

Daionsavage
05-03-2009, 09:40 PM
What really works for us is getting our audiences involved in the hula. Makes them feel like part of the band and ohana. Ric

Good point indeed!

That's something everyone who wants a following should try to do. Alas, I'm still trying to rid the jazz band from the note stands :o

ricdoug: Are there any vids of your band around?

salukulady
05-04-2009, 04:56 AM
my band is called six miles away , after the song of the same name "six miles away", we play Country Rock Acoustic Pop, (look at the first letters) our moto is the more you dring the better we sound, i always do a uke bit between the two sets ,
what would be realy cool is if some of you guys came past and left a comment or even subbed us, we dont put up many vids so you would not be bombarded with rubbish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGBk3AQvidAKrabbers, I LOVE your song "I wannna bump uglies with you". That's a riot! You guys look like your a lot of fun. Do you have a myspace?

salukulady
05-04-2009, 05:02 AM
Good looking family, Daionsavage. Love family costumes and makeup.

As for buttons, bells and whistles, we have not thought of that yet, Sally. We do pass out business cards and club flyers to those that ask for band information. What really works for us is getting our audiences involved in the hula. Makes them feel like part of the band and ohana. Ric
Yes, when we do private parties, we bring a hula dancer. She dances several of the numbers and then dresses the men up in grass skirts w/coconut bras and teaches them a dance. They really get into it, especially if they've been drinking.

krabbers
05-04-2009, 05:07 AM
Krabbers, I LOVE your song "I wannna bump uglies with you". That's a riot! You guys look like your a lot of fun. Do you have a myspace?

thanks for the cool comment

we are at
www.myspace.com/sixmilesaway
and my one is
www.myspace.com/krabbersmusic
www.youtube.com/krabbers

JCMcGee
05-04-2009, 08:31 AM
Ladies & Gentlemen...The Bobby McGee's....Like other bands but different:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQhSRwn03CQ

Jeez...that gig was fun!

Watch for the bass player hitting the heckler with his bass at 5 seconds in!!!

Probably the worst ukulele band on the planet...but for sure the most entertaining!

http://www.myspace.com/thebobbymcgees

Here's a review from last christmas:

"Ah the Bobby McGee's - its always a comfort to know that somewhere out there breathing the same air as me and you are the Bobby McGee's who when the authorities backs are turned gather quickly to record the odd certifiable gem and then disappear into hiding, 'Santa De La Crux' is once such tinsel traipsing treat - clearly bonkers and several donkeys short of a nativity scene - we're suspecting the ghost of the much missed Viv Stanshall has been visiting them of late."
Mark for Losing Today.

Do you foreigners know who Vivian Stanshall was?

Howlin Hobbit
05-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Do you foreigners know who Vivian Stanshall was?

How can one not know such a diamond geezer as Viv?

salukulady
05-10-2009, 10:54 PM
So the Barefoot Wahines had their second show at Catalina Fish Kitchen Saturday night and we did great. We packed the place with friends. We did much better than last time. More relaxed, more confident, working through our stage fright. The owner asked us to return the second saturday of every month, YAY! Whoo-Hoo, we've got a regular gig! I posted a whole bunch of videos and new pics on our myspace if you'd like to check us out.

buddhuu
05-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Congratulations, salukulady! :D Sounds like it's all coming together.

Taking a following with you is a great way to encourage venues to ask you back. If they associate you with increased takings at the bar they will love you forever! :music:

psesinkclee
05-11-2009, 01:36 AM
Very nice salukulady!

I've been with my current band for about 6 years now. We formed back in highschool. I play bass/guitar/piano/ukulele(of course!)/ and vocals. Then there's my best bud who lives next door that plays guitar/bass/piano, and his brother plays drums.

We've had other members fall in and out over the years as extra guitarists, but they never seem to last :p

We play a pretty broad area of music with stuff like funk/indie/alternative/acoustic/post-hardcore.

JoeMikkPaulTopper11
05-13-2009, 01:00 PM
drums, bass, ukulele (that's me! durr. saving up for an eleuke so we can start playing a lot more seriously) and keyboard.
world's best 13 year old keyboardist. he'd pwn mozart.

veep
05-15-2009, 09:31 AM
nope !!!!!!

ksquine
05-15-2009, 09:44 AM
I'd love to be in a band. Anyone in St Louis want to start one??
I'm a uke beginner (I hope to be terrible someday) but pretty descent guitar player and singer.

Polido
05-20-2009, 12:38 PM
I'm playing bass guitar in a band call's TRIPLINE

www.myspace.com/tripline08

and I have try to do a solo project with my uke...
I'm writting some originals and playing some covers... I will record the songs very soon

www.myspace.com/weedlesound

ricdoug
10-23-2009, 10:54 AM
Bumping this post to the top for Amute. I met Sexy Sally (Salukulady) at the Cerritos Southern California Ukulele Festival and have listened to their CD many times! The ladies are hot and so is their music. The uke stands out in many songs:

amute
10-23-2009, 11:00 AM
Bumping this post to the top for Amute. I met Sexy Sally (Salukulady) at the Cerritos Southern California Ukulele Festival and have listened to their CD many times! The ladies are hot and so is their music. The uke stands out in many songs:

Thank you RICDOUG. I'm checking the page out rightnow. Much respect bro.

salukulady
10-23-2009, 11:47 AM

www.myspace.com/barefootwahinesWell. thank you, Ric. I was sorry we didn't have more time to visit at the festival, there was so much to see and I met so many UUer's there.

ogikloavailable
10-23-2009, 02:04 PM
I'm in a band,but it's a Deathcore band(as a drummer). So i think i need to form a new band :D

Fuzzy
10-23-2009, 02:17 PM
I play drums in a punk band. It's a good release after a hard day at work.

salukulady
10-23-2009, 03:46 PM
My daughter is the bass player in my band the Barefoot Wahines, but she is also the bass player in an all girl punk band Apocalipstick. Check them out. http://www.myspace.com/apocalipstickband
They are really fun and dirty. I call the the Go Go's gone bad.

salukulady
10-23-2009, 03:47 PM
I'm in a band,but it's a Deathcore band(as a drummer). So i think i need to form a new band :DWhat's deathcore?

vahn
10-23-2009, 04:08 PM
I'm in a band, Richard Cranium (http://www.myspace.com/richardcraniumproductions) Though on the myspace there is only one song with uke one it, "watching you" and thats not even me playing (though it is my ukulele) I play on about 8 songs on the 25 or so songs that we play regularly at shows, though about 4-6 of the songs i play on regularly make it on the setlist.

It's my friends band, and when I started playing guitar abt a year and a half ago I started learning their songs because I like them, then their/our mandolin player left for a while so I learned a lot of his mandolin parts on ukulele hoping to join the band....

But he ended up coming back and I just got good enough on ukulele that I got asked to start playing with them and then finally was integrated into the band. A lot of the time I play a basic rhythm part.

ogikloavailable
10-24-2009, 02:26 AM
What's deathcore?

Deathcore is a genre of music,which is showin more growl vocals. Just search on wikiped for further info :D

ogikloavailable
10-24-2009, 02:34 AM
I'm in a band, Richard Cranium (http://www.myspace.com/richardcraniumproductions) Though on the myspace there is only one song with uke one it, "watching you" and thats not even m.......

I've heard the song. Nice :D