Has this happened to you?

rem50

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
As some of you probably saw, I got two new ukes for my upcoming birthday. There was only one problem. I played them so much I sprained my wrist! Ha! I cannot believe it! Here I have 2 new ukes and really need to keep this ace bandage on for a day or two! Anyone else ever have this happen or get uke elbow from strumming?! Ha!

Can't say I have, but take it easy for awhile and let it heal.....and I know it's hard, but it's for the better..

I guess the 4 hours straight of playing was too much! :)

I have frequently strained my wrists playing - particularly my left.

My physiotherapist said to do two things:

1) Ice it (do not use heat!!!)

2) Stretch your wrists and forearms well twice a day and before and after you play

I have had much less frequent wrist issues following her instructions.

Can't say I have, but take it easy for awhile and let it heal.....and I know it's hard, but it's for the better..

What Stan says. Hope it heals quickly.

I've got Fibro so some days it hurts to play, usually I do exercises like Jamie mentioned and try not to overdo it! Hope it heals soon!

thanks all! It is my left wrist too. I think I was doing way too many barre chords.

Try to check out your left hand position, make sure your wrist is not bending too much as you make chords. Position the neck to where it's easiest for you to chord and if you have to strain or twist to reach a chord, try out a little different position re headstock height, thumb placement etc. til it feels easier. Eventually you will work out what is best for you. You do need to be careful of repetitive strain injury. If it hurts don't do it.

never spraned a wrist, but have played till my fingers got pretty raw and bled. I remember years ago I was getting ready for a pretty big gig. And stringing and setting up my guitar, poked a string right into the tip of one of my left hand fingers. MAN that hurt like hell and bled pretty good out of such a small puncture wound. By the time the next night rolled around and we were on, my finger was infected a little bit, and sore as hell. Damn that was one of the roughest gigs I have ever had to do. I was almost in tears by the end of it.. My band buddies just laughed at me, all through the set. They would look over at me playing with my teeth clinched, and eye shut most the time, laughing at my arse.. lol.. I felt like choking the hell out of the front guy when he knowing how bad my finger hurt, looks over to me with this satan grin on his face, and introduced the Bassist and egged the audience on to cheer me on to a Bass solo proformance.. I wanted to KILL that SOB for that.. lol..

Don't forget that diet plays a huge role in how your body reacts to stress and how quickly it heals.

My best friend's wife runs a health food store, and she's basically my doctor. When I had pain in my wrists, she asked how much coffee I'd been drinking (lots). Apparently coffee depletes the body of magnesium, which is used for repairs. She gave me a supplement and it cleared up almost overnight (this was after weeks of pain).

Another time, I'd been practicing guitar for 4+ hours each day, and I woke up one morning in pain and unable to turn my head more than a few degrees. She sent me to her accupuncturist, which helped a little in the short term. But the big win was the diet she put me on: 2 eggs each day, no coffee, no carbonated beverages, no alcohol for 30 days. It was amazing how good I felt at the end of that month.

Top Bottom