PDA

View Full Version : off topic <again>

Tudorp
03-03-2011, 11:58 AM
just thought I would share, since I mentioned I was restoring this.

But, just about done with "Hobo Ted", the Gibson Les Paul "basket case" to "showcase". I have the pick ups on the way to me as we speak, so this picture does not have them in it. But, all I need to do now is wire them up, string and set it up, and the old Gibson is complete. Well, that, and I am holding off on the final polish of the finish for a few weeks to give the lacquer time to cure. After his final polish, he will have a glass like sheen to him. My 13 year old daughter is really chomping at the bit to get her hands on Hobo Ted and play him. Hold off baby, in a few days, you can go full rock and roll on him...

Anyway, without further adue. I introduce "Hobo Ted".

From this..

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff490/Tudorp/Gibson%20Project/1998Gibson1.jpg?t=1299193069

To THIS....

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff490/Tudorp/Gibson%20Project/mar32011d.jpg?t=1299193103

Daddy is pleased..

Hippie Dribble
03-03-2011, 12:06 PM
WOOOOOOW brother Tony. Unbelievable job mate. Congratulations. Lazarus himself experienced no greater miracle than this. Um, d'ya mind slipping on over and fixing a couple of chairs for us old boy? :)

joeybug
03-03-2011, 12:07 PM
WOW! What a transformation! You did good, I'm not surprised you're pleased! Wish I had that kind of talent!

Tudorp
03-03-2011, 12:08 PM
WOOOOOOW brother Tony. Unbelievable job mate. Congratulations. Lazarus himself experienced no greater miracle than this. Um, d'ya mind slipping on over and fixing a couple of chairs for us old boy? :)

hahha.. Brother, if you only knew how much experince this old fat boy has in fixing chairs, lol.. If I had a buck for every chair my fat arse broke, I could spring for a Uku for everyone.. lol..

Tudorp
03-03-2011, 12:24 PM
WOW! What a transformation! You did good, I'm not surprised you're pleased! Wish I had that kind of talent!

Thanks bug. Just working with my hands has always been a pasion of mine. But the most priceless part of this particular restoration has been the memories it has made for my daughter and I. As most know that read my shameless bragging on my daughter and her musical talent. It's a step beyond, because not only has she expressed great passion for music, but a passion for the instruments that create it. She has plans, and contacts now to start working at a guitar shop. 1st as a goffer I am sure, but she wants to not only be a musician (well, actually, she already is, but...) but she also wants to be a guitar tech, and even some day maybe even a Luthier. I bought her a Les Paul for Christmas this past year to replace her battered Fender she played religiously for over 2 years. As much as she loved it, she wanted to build one, and learn what makes them work. So, I found this basket case Gibson, to restore with my daughter, as a project together. She loves it, and it will be hers now to add to her growing guitar and Uke collection (she doesnt know that yet <grin>). Long after I am gone, she will love and enjoy it. And every time she looks at it, and more importantly plays it. She will remember her old man and the memories we've made together over the years sharing the same passions. Thats the good stuff ya just can't buy.. It was a fun build for the both of us.

fitncrafty
03-03-2011, 12:33 PM
WOW that is impressive!! That looks really fine! How about a video of her playing it??!! That looks amazing!!

rem50
03-03-2011, 12:48 PM
It is a beautiful instrument but you really nailed it by emphasizing the quality time with your daughter. there is no price on that. Great job dad.

Tudorp
03-03-2011, 12:54 PM
I've got some "shorts" of her playing her other Les Paul, and mine while we were goofing around in a little private jam session one day. But, I am sure there will be some of her on Hobo Ted soon too.

The thing I am most pleased with on Hobo Ted is something you can't see. Not really known about the basket case, was I picked it up really cheap because not only has he had a very rough gigging and touring life, but he also had a badly cracked neck. We were able to pull his neck apart enough to get a very good coverage and saturation of "Titebond II" (a common glue of choice for Luthiers), and had him in traction and clamps for several days while that cured. His neck now is laser straight, and stronger than it was before the break. And the best thing about it, I would challenge the sharpest of eyes to locate his fractures. I know where they are, and I can't find them. Believe me, being a perfectionist by nature, I tried to find them again. And no, the neck and back is not painted, it is stained as the wood it is "dark red mahogany" and Nitrocelulous Lacquer clear coated. So, even the wood being visible, ya can't see any evidence of repair. I was very pleased with that part of the repair with Hobo Ted.

Anyway.. I am rambling again.. I'll shut up... <again> lol

Kanaka916
03-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Moving this to the Guitar Discussion forum . . .

seoulsister
03-03-2011, 01:01 PM
What an awesome tranformation!!!! Love it! And... how is this thread off topic? I think it's terrifically ON topic! ;)

mm stan
03-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Aloha Tudorp,
Nice job, you brought that baby back to life...it looks awessome..and the precious memories it has given you now and it will give you in future....
BTW is that the original logo on the headstock???? nice man...wow Thanks for sharing..Happy Pickings.....MM Stan

RyanMFT
03-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Awesome! Beautiful guitar, and I for one don't mind you bragging about your daughter....it is so cool to see such a proud and connected father!

I am curious how one replaces the Gibson/Les Paul logo?

Uncle Leroy
03-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Great job Bruddah Tudorp.

mds725
03-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Beautiful restoration! And you're absolutely right about the *intangible* rewards and value of restoring Hobo Ted as a project with your daughter. I'm sure she'll always cherish and love Hobo Ted (and the time you spent together making him look so handsome) no matter how techologically advanced guitars get.

I understand why this thread was moved to the guitar duscussion forum, but I'm glad it wasn't posted there initially. Those of us who only visit the ukulele forums and only know Tudorp through his ukulele posts would have missed this thread entirely if it had been been started in the guitar duscussion forum. That would have been a shame.

Tudorp
03-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Ahh... the Logo.. To answer you Stan brutha, no, it is not the original graphics on the headstock, the original were completely damaged and destroied. But, it is a "correct" and accurate replacement of the headstock graphics.

That said, that graphic was probably the most challenging part of this restoration for several reasons. It is VERY difficult to repair Gibson logos, because of the nature of it being a Logo, and the huge problem of Gibson counterfeits out there. But, this model Les Paul has a waterslide decal for the Les Paul signature, and a screen printed Gibson logo. I did hours and hours of research on proper logo, placement, and materials for that repair. But, I had the Les Paul sig, made by a guy in my model railroading hobby that makes waterslides for model railroading. I also made a screen to print the Gibson logo (I used to own and operate a graphics shop that worked in vinyl graphics, plotters, etc, as well as screen printing, so, having those skills sure was a God send for this project). So, the logo and scrip is correct in materials, colors, and placements for this model. The blackness of the headstock is Ebony veneer (original) on the Mahogany headstock. I repaired and sanded it with 400 grit, then 2000 grit dry/wet paper. Then two coats of Nitrocelulous Lacquer clear to give a smooth flawless surface to print the graphics on. The Nitro lacquer is also Gibson correct. After the graphics set, I then shot another 4 coats of Nitro lacquer clear over that, to permanently fix the graphics in place, and melt them into the lacquer (also Gibson correct). That was a HUGE task, and just as challenging but turned out awesome. I am very happy with how the headstock turned out, and it was probably the most stressful part of this restoration.

DAPuke
03-03-2011, 01:30 PM
wow, the hobo looks more like a prince now!
DAP

Tudorp
03-03-2011, 01:40 PM
I always tend to name my toys, and typically have to spend some time with them before a name comes to me. I was close to done with Hobo when his named yelled out to me. He looked like such a Hobo when I first got him. I knew he once was a nice looking, but better yet, had an that awesome Gibson Les Paul voice. When I found him in a tossed aside box of guitar parts and other junk. He looked like an old homeless, pitiful Hobo. So, he called out to me for a handout, wanting to be picked up and rediscovered. He said "I had a golden voice, and now I lost it all...". So, I brought him in, cleaned him up, dressed him in a new suit, and he has the chance to showcase his beautiful voice again. I thought.. Hmm.. A similar story was aired just a few weeks ago, about a homeless man with a golden voice rediscovered, and taken out of that life and cleaned up. Ted Williams.. So, the name "Hobo Ted" just stuck. My daughter hated the name at first, but now embraces it, and talks about Hobo Ted all the time, lol.

ADD
03-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Tudorp, you just ramble on as much as you want. I've enjoyed every aspect of this post - the whole story - the find, the repairs, pictures of the transformation, inspection details, the naming and the sharing of all this with your daughter and sharing the joy it's brought you with all of us. Thanks.

Teek
03-04-2011, 07:03 AM
Tudorp, you are a wonderful example of a great dad, I love hearing about what you and your awesome kid are up to. How cool that her talent has been nurtured and supported. She is on track to a rewarding career and fullfilling life. My own dad actually sabotaged my active career in art every chance he got, because I was making money at it from a young age and he had always said I never would, so had to do his best to make it true.

What a huge difference a loving parent can make to their child's dreams. You rock man!

PS: Hobo Ted is one handsome dude!

Tudorp
03-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Thanks Teek,

Comfirmation is always a good thing because we all as parents second guess sometimes how we raise our kids. God knows Im not perfect, and sometime question my parenting as well. But, it also has alot to do with the character of any specific kid too. It aways helps to have good hearted kids. Sometimes I want to choke the heck out of my daughter, just as I had my days with my grown sons, but, they all are awesome kids. Far from perfect too, and I aways said "never expect perfection, rather strive for it.." I am a blessed Dad, because I have 4 kids, and all of them I am proud of for different reasons, and they are very deep and have soft hearts, caring, and giving. All of them think of other's over themselves, and that is rare in a kid these days. Hell, it's rare in adults these days. So, even though we have had tough times sometimes, they make it easy. They love deep, and are passionate in their endevours. If I agree with them or not, the best I can do for them is to support them in their dreams at the same time try to keep at least one of their feet rooted in reality.

Thanks again for the comformation.