Question for a Marine

Steiner

Reaction score
I am thinking of building a Marine Corps themed uke, and an idea I had was to use actual USMC uniform buttons as accents. Is there any rule, written or otherwise, that forbids this?

My husband is 18 yr Navy.. he says no rule against it. If you were wearing a full uniform that is fraud.. Sounds great Can't wait to see it!

Thanks, it'll be a while. I just thought it up today. Have wood picked out, just need to get started. This one is going to challenge my very limited inlay skills.

Thanks, it'll be a while. I just thought it up today. Have wood picked out, just need to get started. This one is going to challenge my very limited inlay skills.

What are you thinking of doing with the buttons? Were you a marine? do you have buttons?

No, my brother was. I was thinking of making a uke with an Eagle, Globe, and Anchor inlay and having the button in the endgraft. I'm toying with the idea of inlaying Semper Fi down the fretboard. I can get the buttons easy enough.

It's going to be a gift.

Last edited:
Nice. I think mine is going to be a little less subtle. Hope he'll like it. I'll try to remember to post some pics here as it gets going.

Specs so far are:
Curly Oregon Myrtle Back and Sides
Port Orford Cedar top
Myrtle burl rosette and headplate
Ebony Fretboard
Rosewood Bridge

Yes, nice work Dave.

Hey Steiner, great idea. A word of advice: move.

Einstein said, "Nothing happens until something moves." My point being that in your endeavor to create something wonderful you may well talk yourself into never getting it done. Don't let that stop you. Good on 'ya for doing it.

I was a Marine and I do not remember anything against what you are planning on doing. There are regs when it comes to wearing uniform pieces with civies. I wear my tie clasp when ever I wear a suit. Would you be interested in doing two of these? I'd be very interested in one.

I'm already in motion. I have all the parts. I'm going to the copy store tomorrow to set up the inlay and then I'll get started cutting the pieces out for that.

I'm a serious amateur at making instruments, so I'll just make the one for now. Once it's finished I'll put pictures up here and you can take pics of mine to a more serious luthier. My life is about to get insanely busy in 3 months because I'm starting residency and I'd be afraid to agree to building something and never being able to do it.

Semper Fi, once a Marine, Always a Marine. Some of the best years of my life. No, there is nothing against using any uniform item or memorabilia in this pursuit. I think it is a great tribute to the men and women of the Marine Corps.

Top Bottom