UDS? Ukulele Disposal Syndrome?

Ronnie Aloha

Mahalo Sen. Dan, R.I.P.
UU+
UU VIP
Reaction score
So I've been in a sell off mode since acquiring my MooreBettah. Within the past month I have sold a six-string Kamaka, concert Kamaka, Kanile'a tenor and Kala travel soprano. Ironically, selling off those four ukes equaled the cost of the MB.

What would you do if you had the choice of these four ukes versus one MB?

For me, it was worth it since I only play the MB now. Also, I rarely played those others even before I got the MB.

However, I did pick up another crown tenor KoAloha last week...:cool:

Personally I would rather have one uke that I loved and played all the time, than several that were nice but didn't get played.

I play my 3 Kamakas pretty much every day. The other two in my signature probably should get re-homed.

Aloha Bruddah Ronnie,
I see you may have found your Holy Grail Uke....many of us search for ours and go through and start collections and not find the right one..
Once you do, you start selling the un played ones...the question is now...are you looking for the Holy grail number 2??? I am happy you found yours..
Happy Strummings..MM Stan

With my Moore Bettah coming this summer, I've been giving serious thought to selling off my Kamaka. I picked it up for the first time in a month last night and was reminded of how nice it sounds. It's going to be a tough, tough decision.

Between the MB and the 4 ukes you sold off, I'd choose the MB. I find that after a while, I pretty much play my favorite ukes most of the time. So now maybe 2 ukes gets about 95% of the playing time out of my stash unless I make a conscious effort to play the others. Kind of sad but that's what happens. However, a Kamaka is a Kamaka though. Even though I rarely play my Kamaka tenor, it's quite far down the potential sell list because it is a Kamaka.

BTW, I'd love to contract UDS. I have two ukes on the chopping block when the weather warms up, but I probably should be selling at least 10 ukes off, yet I can't bring myself to sell any of them.

Last edited:
You did the right thing. Aldrine always has that Kanilea with the Rosette. Jake has that Kamaka. Troy Fernandez has his Sonny D. Brittini Paiva has her KoALoha. If they can settle on one uke with all that musical talent, I think you can feel good about settling down with the MB.

Actually, it's UDS I depend on to get my hands on ukes to fix up, set up to give to kids that want to learn to play but can't afford a Uke. I have had a couple here in our awesome UU community donate their cast off's to me, just for that, and they ended up in some awesome kid's hands, who love them. I hate to ask, or pass the plate sort of speak, but, I am always in the market for a give-a-way deal on an unwanted Uke to supply these kids with one. So, if I see one, I try to jump on them, or the great deal on one for that purpose. UDS aint a bad thing, and can make an un-used, or un-wanted Uke, loved by a kid around here, cherrished, and played..

If I had to trim down to just two, they would be my Moore Bettah(re-entrant), and my Kamaka HF-3(low G). I certainly could get by with just the two of them, but I do play ALL of my ukes. I truly enjoy the uniqueness of each and every one. They all have strong points and they all have weakneses. Variety is the spice of life.

Ronnie, I wish I had known that you were selling your Kamaka Liliu. Didn't see it on the forum. Did you sell it locally? I would like to get your impressions of it.

Ronnie, I understand. I have been in this UDS stage 1 for awhile. It all started when I got your old PS. I let it go for the kamaka that DKCrown now has and now I am debating getting rid of the ana'ole. And i keep hearing MB call my name.

I dunno...send me the MB to try out and I'll let you know ;)

I'm getting my collection down to keepers, the ones that I play because they fit a certain musical style or even particular songs.

After playing guitar for over 40 years, I've now got one guitar, excluding the two archtops I've been restoring for a couple years...LOL. Interestingly, it sounds more like a Martin than some Martins I've played and it cost me the same as a Martin D35 I bought back in 1972.

Truthfully, as much as I'd like another guitar, I can't see a need. Using different picks (or no pick) I can alter the sound of the guitar to fit just about any song. I put a Fishman Rare Earth soundhole pick-up in it and it meets every need I have.

Now, ukes are a different story...heheeee. You need more of them because they're smaller ;)

Besides the ukes listed in my sig, I have a number of Mainland Chilis I keep around for people who want to learn to play. They'll move out when someone decides to buy one or I decide to give one away as a gift.

For a number of reasons, I'm not in a buying mode...although, the Ohana SK-38 would be a nice addition...just sayin'

I know what you mean! I have unloaded my Lanakai tenor and KoAloha concert since getting my Moore Bettah. I feel that I'll do better if I bond with my Moore Bettah. I very occasionally play my Lori's Uke, but I just always want to play the MB. My Lori's ukulele is way too sentimental to get rid of. Also it has a large number of signatures on it.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with going with just one ukulele. But that's me.

I can see reducing a collection a bit after discovering which ukes attract you the most. But, part of the great fun of ukuleles for me has been their variety... and there are so many different ukes that are appealing to me. So, even though I have quite a few, I don't expect to sell off very many.

–Lori

I keep thinking I'm ready to sell about 5, but I suppose I have to do it without touching their strings. If they talk to me I get sentimental and decide to keep them.

If I had to trim down to just two, they would be my Moore Bettah(re-entrant), and my Kamaka HF-3(low G). I certainly could get by with just the two of them, but I do play ALL of my ukes. I truly enjoy the uniqueness of each and every one. They all have strong points and they all have weakneses. Variety is the spice of life.

Ronnie, I wish I had known that you were selling your Kamaka Liliu. Didn't see it on the forum. Did you sell it locally? I would like to get your impressions of it.

Someone posted on FMM that they were looking for a Liliu. I had a nice curly one (the nicest I've seen to date) and offered it to her. She loves it. Actually, I haven't posted any of the ukes I've sold. I've only answered "WTB" ads/posts and it just so happened I had what they were looking for. That probably encouraged me to sell them since I wasn't really motivated to sell them.

The Liliu has a full voice. Its a beautiful sounding instrument when strummed. There is no four stringer that could match it. Cosmetically, it has an extra long headstock to fit the extra set of tuners. However, I like the design of the headstock.

No UDS remorse yet...

hi Ronnie

I think UDS is an inevitable stage in the oversll UAS journey. You reach the end stages of UAS as soon as you've fulfilled the ultimate goal of that syndrome: to find, what Stan calls your "Holy Grail" uke. For me, I'm totally with you, I have started selling off many ukes as there are two in my collection I gravitate to, a mya moe soprano and a collings concert. I would play these 80% of the time easily...

Of course, it all starts again when you get that ol' itch for the next holy grail he he... :eek:

Top Bottom