Herb Ohta uke

mandrew

Reaction score
I really enjoy Ohta-sans vids on Youtube, and I wonder about the older uke that he usually plays. It looks a bit small for a concert, but has the extended frets on the fingerboard. Is that instrument a soprano, super-soprano, or a concert?

I know that he does now, but not in the past. The ones on Youe tue are very dark with a white binding. I believe that Kamaka used to build for him, but not sure. The body on these looks too small for a concert.

I know that he does now, but not in the past. The ones on Youe tue are very dark with a white binding. I believe that Kamaka used to build for him, but not sure. The body on these looks too small for a concert.

dunno, if you link to the pics/videos, perhaps someone can tell you more.

Yes, the one you see so often in the videos is a Martin Style 3 soprano. It is not the same instrument as the black one pictured in Torao's post, but the same model, from about the same period.

I think he played a Sonny D ukulele too.

The one I've usually seen him playing in pictures is a Martin Style 3 soprano, in really beat-up shape. He's clearly played the heck out of it. He also has a Style 3 that's been refinished in black. I suppose it MIGHT be the same uke, in "before and after" versions.

Top Bottom