Uke stuff in Berkeley and Denver

bunnyflower

Reaction score
I will be visiting Berkeley, Ca for a few days next week, and Denver, Co the week after that. I have never been to either place before; are there any cool Uke places I could / should / must visit? :)

If the timing is right, The Denver Uke Community has a gathering at The Swallow Hill Music Association I think starting at 10am. I believe it costs $3 to cover the use of the building. The address of Swallow Hill is 71 E Yale Ave. Not too far from there, at 1893 S Pearl Street, there's a great acoustic music store called The Denver Folklore Center. They have more ukes than any store I've seen in the area, and they're nice folks.
Even if you don't make it on the 3rd Saturday, I'd still recommend swinging by Swallow Hill just to see if there are any shows or workshops while you're in town.

There's an ukulele event in Berkeley each Wednesday evening at the studio of luthier Mike DaSilva. He alternates hosting meetings of the Berkeley Ukulele Club with playalongs. Wednesday March 9 is a meeting of the Berkeley Ukulele Club, beginning at 6:30 p.m. For more information, visit http://www.ukemaker.com/ukeclub/. You can email Mike directly at mike@ukemaker.com.

Arvada Colorado has a ukulele group meetup as well as Boulder Colorado. The Denver Folklore Center has best selection of cool ukes and learning books Arvada Picking parlor has some miscellaneous ukes, Musician's Superstore has some low price ukes. I went to the Boulder stores hoping for some decent stuff - disappointed.

Of course my timing is such that I'll miss both Wednesdays in Berkeley. Ah well. But, looks like I'll be popping over to DeSilva's today or tomorrow to see what's there. I will definitely check out that center in Denver too next week! Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Of course my timing is such that I'll miss both Wednesdays in Berkeley. Ah well. But, looks like I'll be popping over to DeSilva's today or tomorrow to see what's there. I will definitely check out that center in Denver too next week! Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

DaSilva's space is his studio, not a storefront, so you might want to call ahead to see if he's there. If he is, he would probably be happy to show you some of the ukuleles he's made. If you want to check out some ukuleles in a shop setting, there's a shop called Music Works in El Cerrito (north of Berkeley) that has a nice collection, mostly low to mid priced.

DaSilva's space is his studio, not a storefront, so you might want to call ahead to see if he's there. If he is, he would probably be happy to show you some of the ukuleles he's made. If you want to check out some ukuleles in a shop setting, there's a shop called Music Works in El Cerrito (north of Berkeley) that has a nice collection, mostly low to mid priced.

Ah ok, thanks for letting me know! It's only about a mile walk from me,
but I'm glad I didn't go there to be disappointed. :)
I am relying on walking mostly and BART, so I don't know if I'll make it to El Cerrito (need to look at a map!), but I'll try!

Unrelated, but music related: anyone know a good karaoke place? ;)

Ah ok, thanks for letting me know! It's only about a mile walk from me,
but I'm glad I didn't go there to be disappointed. :)
I am relying on walking mostly and BART, so I don't know if I'll make it to El Cerrito (need to look at a map!), but I'll try!

Music Works is sort of between two BART stations. One is supposed to be safer than the other, but I've never gone to Music Works using BART. You could call Music Works (510-232-1000) and ask them which station to use. I know of a few Karaoke places in San Francisco, but I'm not familiar with the East Bay. Have fun!

Last edited:
Top Bottom