Kala Red Strings - anyone tried them?

Huna

Reaction score
I noticed on ebay some Kala Red Strings which supposedly Kala claims sound better than aquila. They are a set on ebay and I just ordered them for six bucks delivered. I am imagining they might be the Yo Zuri pink fluorocarbon line that I tried to buy a while back lol I don't know how red these Kala strings are. Has anyone tried them? I have been pretty well liking Martin strings but these might be good too.

I tried em on a friends tenor last week. They did remind me a lot of the Martins I have on my soprano.

SWB:

Are they same gauge, or a bit thicker? I need an A string a bit thicker than the Martins for my KTS4, because it's buzzing a bit (low action). I have the paper shim trick as a temp fix, but I think I need a thicker string than the Martins.

I have tried Kala Reds on my soprano.

I liked the sound, but I must confess I didn't really like the feel of the wound strings on my picking hand. I found it made a scratchy sound as my nail picked the string. The unwound ones are fab, though and I really like them.

In the end, I kept the two unwound Reds, and replaced the wound ones with Ko'olau Golds. A bit of a stripey effect, but it sounds much better to me. The Kalas are pretty bright red and slightly opaque.

Hope that helps!

Best wishes
Anna :)

Last edited:
I had them on a tenor for a while.
I dug the tone, bright, punchy, but the wound strings in the center take some getting used to, and can be a little bit "loud" when sliding, esp, compared to all plain strings.
Try them! Why not, maybe you'll love em, not too pricey, good tone, at any rate.

the ones I ordered say Mono Filament so I hope they are not wound.. shouldn't be right?

I have them on one of my tenors and I found them to be not as bright as Aquilla, but they are close (at least on the particular laminate Uke I have them on). They last longer than Aquilla, are more expensive generally ( I pay $5 for Aquilla and these were over $8).
The wounds are strange to get used to, but that is just it, you get used to them. They make funny (or ROCKSTAR) noises when you slide on them, but they are a nice gauge. I will probably put Aquilla's back in it only because they are easier to find and cheaper

I put them on a Fender No'Hea and like the sound. But as stated, the feel was a bit weird. I prefer the feel of Aquilas. Also, after playing a lot with the wound Reds, my nail was wearing down.

I noticed on ebay some Kala Red Strings which supposedly Kala claims sound better than aquila. They are a set on ebay and I just ordered them for six bucks delivered. I am imagining they might be the Yo Zuri pink fluorocarbon line that I tried to buy a while back lol I don't know how red these Kala strings are. Has anyone tried them? I have been pretty well liking Martin strings but these might be good too.
I bought a couple of sets of them a while back when someone had them on sale, but I haven't yet got around to putting them on one of my ukes, so can't comment on the sound or feel. But they are very red and I thought they would look great on a some of my ukes. The packs I have say they are made by La Bella and are a wound nylon string, and this thread has got me excited to try them....now I just have to figure out which uke to try them on first.

the ones I ordered say Mono Filament so I hope they are not wound.. shouldn't be right?
I heard they were coming out with a non-wound set. Maybe that is what you're getting. I had some Kala reds about a year ago, and I liked the sound. I especially liked the non-wound strings, so I will be interested in your impressions when you get yours. The wound strings sounded good, but I don't like to hear my fingers squeak so much.

–Lori

I thought I ordered sopranos but looks like concerts. P Hill has them for like six bucks including shipping which is cheaper than Martin's at Bestbuy. I just strung this Hawaii Kai with Martins so idk maybe put them on the cordoba. I like how Martin uses the same string set for both Concert and Soprano. Makes things simpler.

SWB:

Are they same gauge, or a bit thicker? I need an A string a bit thicker than the Martins for my KTS4, because it's buzzing a bit (low action). I have the paper shim trick as a temp fix, but I think I need a thicker string than the Martins.

Wish I could answer that, but I don't have my friend's tenor handy.

I thought I ordered sopranos but looks like concerts. P Hill has them for like six bucks including shipping which is cheaper than Martin's at Bestbuy. I just strung this Hawaii Kai with Martins so idk maybe put them on the cordoba. I like how Martin uses the same string set for both Concert and Soprano. Makes things simpler.

I use concert strings on most of my sopranos, the difference in most soprano and concert strings is pretty much a non-issue. They are pretty much interchangable.

Top Bottom