How tight should a uke case be?

Flockheart

Reaction score
I recently picked up a Kiwaya KS-1 and one of the hard ABS Gator GC-UKE cases.

To close the case with the uke in it I have to apply a bit of pressure and I can feel a bit more pressure being applied as I snap the rear case clip into place.

I wondering if a bit of pressure is ok, and if so how much is too much?!

I'm currently to scared to leave the uke in the case as I worried I might come back to find my new uke crushed or snapped in two!

My only other point of reference is an Anuenue case for my concert uke. With that there doesn't feel like there's any pressure being applied at all but the case isn't as well padded or solid as the Gator.

Aloha Flockheart,
I like my cases to be snug but not to a point where I am forcing it shut...hope it helps....good Luck and happy strummings..MM Stan

Aloha Flockheart,
I like my cases to be snug but not to a point where I am forcing it shut...hope it helps....good Luck and happy strummings..MM Stan

Thanks for the reply stan, I'm finding it a little hard to judge whats tight and whats forcing to be honest. I've just shut the uke in the case and going to leave it for 30 mins or so and then check for any signs of serious squashing/depression in the padding!

I've seen cases where the piece that supports the neck is a little too high. If you aren't afraid of a little surgery, depending on the case you can rip out that piece and cut down the styrofoam inside to make it fit better then glue it back up.

I don't know specifically how tight is too tight. I also use a Gator case and found it to be a bit tight over the bridge of the 'ukulele. It required some pressure to close, and there were distinct imprints of the bridge on the case lining. This worried me, so I simply peeled back the case fabric lining and cut away some of the styrofoam in this area (I shaved it away with an exacto knife), creating a depression over the bridge. Now, the case closes w/o force and I sleep well at night (usually..). :)

This may not be your specific problem, but I hope the info helps!

Thanks for all the comments, as Integrate has suggested I think the bridge may be causing the problem. I've just check and the lining does come back quite easily so maybe I need to look at performing the surgery...

Bit of cutting and sanding to a few places later and...still no joy!

I tried making more space at the bridge and neck, and making a little bit more space generally over the top and bottom where the body sits. I'm still having to push the case shut. Maybe it's not putting pressure on the uke any more and it's just part of the case pushing against each other but I don't feel comfortable squashing it closed so I guess this uke and case combo where just not meant to be.

Thanks for all the suggestions though! :)

The Ameritage cases I have do require you to put some pressure on the top before closing the case. However, that's the way the case is designed, for the uke to be compressed between the top and bottom padding. The padding locks the uke in place and keeps it from moving. I'm not sure about Gator cases though.

I had a case situation with a baritone that the lower bout was a bit too wide to fit. It was a cheap case and a cheap bari (a vintage Bruko) so I took a ball peen hammer and used the ball side to just tap right on the interior on the fabric to compress the styrofoam under the padding, tap tap tap tap for awhile while eyeballing and checking by touch the degree of compression and to get an even leveling. Only needed about 1/4 inch of room all along the bottom. I did disconnect the fabric from the styrofoam underneath from hammering on it, but just reglued when I was done, so it was not a big deal. However this was on a cheap case, and I knew where the fitment problem was located. Since you have already done surgery on the Gator....?

I personally would not force a case closed that felt like it was compressing the instrument, unless it's sandwiched into a soft foam layer. Bridge and string impressions are one thing if the case just closes easily, it seems to me it's a correct fit. I've seen nice cases that have a little relief built in for the bridge and strings but I think they were custom fitted.

Top Bottom