Update on starting my own group!

joeybug

Reaction score
I took all the advice given to me and have done a lot of advertisement and made a flyer last week and yesterday was finally well enough (and the weather was good) for me to go out in my chair around the local music shops and other places where you can advertise.

I went to the first shop, wondering if I'd be told I couldn't put it up, but they were lovely. They asked what Ukulele I'd recommend for my fellow club people and I said I didn't feel like I knew enough and also that it's a very personal choice, but he explained that the reason he'd asked was because he wanted to give my club some cards, as "owner" of the club I get a 10% discount on everything in the shop and/or website and my "members" get a 5% discount, I thought that was pretty good, he's given me a load of cards and authorised a few but said to come back if I needed more signed.

The second store, we were in and out in a few moments, they're not very wheelchair friendly and although they agreed to hang the flyer with their ukuleles, they didn't seem to be that receptive to the idea...but again, they were busy it was a Saturday so I figure they had their mind on other things.

The third place was a general store that has a noticeboard, so we put one up there, then headed to the last music store (yeah, three music stores all within a few mins walk of each other strikes me as weird, but there you go!) I couldn't even get into his store, giant step and he said he had no way for me to come in, but he would put up the flyer.

So, that's four places in the town centre, three music shops where people might buy Ukes and depending on how many underage people join, depends on if we can use "The Platform" a youth centre as our "jammin" place or a local pub in the town centre not too far from me.

First meeting scheduled for 29th March and depending on the response (if any) will depend on which venue I use.I also plan to put a flyer up at the Arts centre where they're having an Ukulele workshop for people of all skills and ages. I'm taking Miss D and there's a concert of what we all learn afterwards, but Miss D just wants to do the workshop and not play because she's scared of making a mistake...bless her.

Right, sorry that turned out to be so long..Will keep this thread as where I put my updates re: Swinlele

Thanks

Joey

Sounds like you re doing it right. It might start out slow but keep at it and it will grow.

All power to you Joey, I'm looking forward to reading updates later on. I'll be surprised if you don't get any responses. The uke brings good feelings out in people and if you can reach out and find a few uke players you should go well with the group and have a lot of fun. Don't worry if it's slow to start, it takes time to get out into the target area sometimes.

I always find that slow and steady wins the race! Yeah for you, give it time and it will grow! Yeah for you.. The ukulele is definitely growing in popularity! My friend (got her a uke for christmas) said yesterday at the odyssey of the mind competition that one of the teams she watched had two girls as part of their long term problem (a skit that sloves a problem and has certain requirements) were dressed as trees and broke out in song both playing the ukulele. So yes it is everywhere!
I am certain if you do the leg work and are patient you will have your group!

Good luck!

Sounds like you re doing it right. It might start out slow but keep at it and it will grow.

All power to you Joey, I'm looking forward to reading updates later on. I'll be surprised if you don't get any responses. The uke brings good feelings out in people and if you can reach out and find a few uke players you should go well with the group and have a lot of fun. Don't worry if it's slow to start, it takes time to get out into the target area sometimes.

As everyone has said, you are doing it right. I am sure all that hard work will pay off. These things do tend to start slow, so be ready for that.

I always find that slow and steady wins the race! Yeah for you, give it time and it will grow! Yeah for you.. The ukulele is definitely growing in popularity! My friend (got her a uke for christmas) said yesterday at the odyssey of the mind competition that one of the teams she watched had two girls as part of their long term problem (a skit that sloves a problem and has certain requirements) were dressed as trees and broke out in song both playing the ukulele. So yes it is everywhere!
I am certain if you do the leg work and are patient you will have your group!

Good luck!

Thanks for all the support, guys! I'm hoping people will see the flyers or the other advertisments and since it's a free group to join, they may well either chose to buy an Uke and learn to play or join because they didn't think there was one aimed at beginners and there isn't other than Swinlele!

Will keep you all informed!

Aloha Joeybug,
How cool you're starting your own Ukulele Club...Keep us informed of it's progress...best to start of slow anyways...so you can get things organized....way to go girl!!! Have fun and enjoy!! Happy strummings!
MM Stan...

We used to have a ukulele tutorial class here in Derby,but
the guy who ran it had to change his working pattern and
could no longer do it.A few people asked me to have a go,
so I grasped the nettle and did.I don't offer tutorials,as I do
not feel that I am experienced or good enough,BUT,I can
organise stuff! We have almost thirty members now,and
have only been at it for six months! Remember,'if you build
it they will come'! We play from song sheets en masse and
basically have a laugh and a good time.So far,so good! Keep
at it,you'll be okay,you have the right spirit to make it work!

Aloha Joeybug,
How cool you're starting your own Ukulele Club...Keep us informed of it's progress...best to start of slow anyways...so you can get things organized....way to go girl!!! Have fun and enjoy!! Happy strummings!
MM Stan...

We used to have a ukulele tutorial class here in Derby,but
the guy who ran it had to change his working pattern and
could no longer do it.A few people asked me to have a go,
so I grasped the nettle and did.I don't offer tutorials,as I do
not feel that I am experienced or good enough,BUT,I can
organise stuff! We have almost thirty members now,and
have only been at it for six months! Remember,'if you build
it they will come'! We play from song sheets en masse and
basically have a laugh and a good time.So far,so good! Keep
at it,you'll be okay,you have the right spirit to make it work!

Thanks guys! I have one member other than me, but you gotta start somewhere! I'll keep it up!

Top Bottom