"This Must be the Place" by Talking Heads

Wow! That was an amazing performance! Thank you so much for posting this video, I can only hope I'll be able to mimic you soon. Such a great song.

"Never for money, always for love." - A very uke-state-of-mind lyric.

Cheers,

Christian

Well thanks for the kind words. The chords are very simple: just C - Dm - Bb (this is not the original key). I am inspired now to try to work out a fuller multi-track uke arrangement with all the parts.

Very nicely done. Thanks for posting it.
Don

Fantastic. Watched the old Wall Street movie a week or so ago and they play this as they move into the most 80's swanky pad. Brought back memories.
Had the guys from Talking Heads in my shop last year, cool to meet them. Didn't get free tickets to their show though.

Great video. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for posting. -- Could you explain the strum? I am have been trying it out and I seem to be missing something.

George

Thanks. As far as the strum, I did a different thing on the 1st and 2nd verses. The 1st time through I just used my index finger: I'm not really sure what the rhythmic pattern is but I could try to break it down if you don't get it. There's nothing tricky like a split stroke, etc. Try each measure as D DU D DU where that's 4 beats so you get a 1 2& 3 4& pattern. Start with that and then just focus more on the sound and feel to add some embellishments to your strum.

The 2nd time through is tricky: I used a frailing/clawhammer technique. I play clawhammer banjo and this comes from that. It's kind of tough to explain, and tough to learn but if you look at my thumb it's kind of bouncing on the 4th string on the "and" of the backbeat. This helps make that moving line on the 4th string kind of "pop" a little more. The other part of the strum is done with all 4 fingers held together and coming down at once. I don't know what to call that, not even sure if other people do it.

Hope that helps a little -- the added complication of the frailing part doesnt add all that much so if you just try to get the rhythmic feel from the first strum you should be good.

I'm still hoping to spend more time arranging this song; I'd like to get more of the essence of the original, without having to resort to overdubs. It's hard because there are so many distinct parts between bass, keyboard, and 2 guitars, and each one is playing different rhythms. Talking Heads were pure genius!

John

Last edited:
John,

Thanks. I knew I was close. I guess I need to practice a little more. I also need to look at the frailing/clawhammer technique. That's a new one for me. You produce a really great sound with it.

Regards,
George

Top Bottom