George Harrison's UAS

pdxuke

Reaction score
That brought a bit of a tear to my eye, always loved George.

Great read. George was my favorite Beatle. T'was sad when he passed away back in 2001.

And a BiG Mahalo for another great issue with lots of wonderful articles and reviews, from newcomer Sarah Maisel to the Mainland bari uke review, the Flip camera review to the Oscar Schmidt ad (one sweet looking cutaway uke) with Willie K, and of course the article on George. Good job! :)

Oh yeah, I remember hearing stories about Harrison buying numerous ukuleles - all in a single visit - at a music store on Maui.

Last edited:
That was a great article. George was my favorite Beatle (most of the time anyway... you know how those things are... depends on my mood), and the chief reason I started playing ukulele. I bought my first (really lousy) ukulele after I heard his last album, "Brainwashed". I knew he loved uke, but I didn't know he loved it THAT much! How cool would it have been to be at a George Formby Society meeting and have George Harrison show up and hang out and play?

Hi everyone. I'm the author of the George Harrison article and just wanted to say that I'm very gratified that you enjoyed it.
yes. thank you sir for writing it. i know he had a gold-plated dallas banjolele, amongst others.

Such an awesome article! The Beatles are the best, and to find out that George had UAS almost makes me want more XD

Thank you. I'm working on a Lyle Ritz article/interview that I am very excited about. I may even get to go Lyle's house and chat with him for it. It will focus in particular on his work in the Fifties.

I also have an article on May Singhi Breen in the works. I am in contact with her grandson, who will have some fascinating tidbits to pass along about the Ukulele Lady.

Great to hear! Good for you! Looking forward to them!

I also have an article on May Singhi Breen in the works. I am in contact with her grandson, who will have some fascinating tidbits to pass along about the Ukulele Lady.

Enjoyed your George article a lot, but really looking forward to the May Singhi Breen article. It's hard to find much info on her, but I get the feeling she doesn't get the acknowledgement she deserves.

Simply a wonderful article. Thank you!

Hi everyone. I'm the author of the George Harrison article and just wanted to say that I'm very gratified that you enjoyed it.

AK - beautiful article. I was in Liverpool for vacation a year and half ago, and there was an exhibition of George's ukes - just a handful of them, but wow - and it was about then that my eldest started playing uke after she saw that George played. George had that effect of encouraging you to play - even if you didn't know him. There was just so much joy in the man. Thanks for capturing that spirit so wonderfully.

I can't wait to read this article!! George was such a fabulous musician. I always said that if a guitar was worth playing, then George played it. My personal favorite story about ukulele and George comes from Tom Petty. (He has a great storytelling style) Petty said that George came over one day to give him a new ukulele. This was the fourth ukulele that George had given him! "George," Petty said, "I don't think I need FOUR ukuleles!!"
George just smiled and said, "You will if we come over."
Of course, George was referring to the Beatles!

Can't wait to read the article

AK - thanks for jumping into this thread. It's a pleasure to give thanks more personally to the author. BiG Kudos and Mahalo for your article on George and his ukes. Lookin' forward to your forthcoming articles too. Cheers! :)

Excellent article. The content of this magazine gets better and better all the time!

Top Bottom