PDA

View Full Version : George Harrison's UAS

pdxuke
03-06-2011, 06:26 AM
In the latest edition of:

http://www.tricornpublications.com/issue18.pdf

..the article on George Harrison reveals an advanced case of UAS.

If it was good enough for George, it's good enough for me!

janeray1940
03-06-2011, 06:42 AM
And all along I thought George was a bit of a ukulele minimalist (and definitely a Kamaka fanboy!) since I recall seeing him with just three: a Kamaka concert (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5k-OE0-fWs), Kamaka tenor (http://sloblogs.thetribunenews.com/sidetracked/files/2009/03/georgeharrison-ukuleletall.jpg), and Kamaka 6-string tenor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5CkIniOcqs).

Nixon
03-06-2011, 06:50 AM
That brought a bit of a tear to my eye, always loved George.

telebob
03-06-2011, 09:47 AM
Great read. George was my favorite Beatle. T'was sad when he passed away back in 2001.

And a BiG Mahalo for another great issue with lots of wonderful articles and reviews, from newcomer Sarah Maisel to the Mainland bari uke review, the Flip camera review to the Oscar Schmidt ad (one sweet looking cutaway uke) with Willie K, and of course the article on George. Good job! :)

Oh yeah, I remember hearing stories about Harrison buying numerous ukuleles - all in a single visit - at a music store on Maui.

hosenfeferdave
03-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Great article, Thanks!

Chris Tarman
03-06-2011, 01:47 PM
That was a great article. George was my favorite Beatle (most of the time anyway... you know how those things are... depends on my mood), and the chief reason I started playing ukulele. I bought my first (really lousy) ukulele after I heard his last album, "Brainwashed". I knew he loved uke, but I didn't know he loved it THAT much! How cool would it have been to be at a George Formby Society meeting and have George Harrison show up and hang out and play?

A.K.
03-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Hi everyone. I'm the author of the George Harrison article and just wanted to say that I'm very gratified that you enjoyed it.

Chris Tarman
03-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Hi everyone. I'm the author of the George Harrison article and just wanted to say that I'm very gratified that you enjoyed it.

Thank you very much for writing it, sir!

veejayblox
03-06-2011, 02:48 PM
yes. thank you sir for writing it. i know he had a gold-plated dallas banjolele, amongst others.

Mraz
03-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Such an awesome article! The Beatles are the best, and to find out that George had UAS almost makes me want more XD

itsme
03-06-2011, 03:54 PM
I enjoyed it immensely and look forward to more contributions from you. :)

A.K.
03-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Thank you. I'm working on a Lyle Ritz article/interview that I am very excited about. I may even get to go Lyle's house and chat with him for it. It will focus in particular on his work in the Fifties.

I also have an article on May Singhi Breen in the works. I am in contact with her grandson, who will have some fascinating tidbits to pass along about the Ukulele Lady.

Mraz
03-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Great to hear! Good for you! Looking forward to them!

janeray1940
03-06-2011, 04:45 PM
I also have an article on May Singhi Breen in the works. I am in contact with her grandson, who will have some fascinating tidbits to pass along about the Ukulele Lady.

Enjoyed your George article a lot, but really looking forward to the May Singhi Breen article. It's hard to find much info on her, but I get the feeling she doesn't get the acknowledgement she deserves.

ukunuke
03-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Simply a wonderful article. Thank you!

Jnobianchi
03-07-2011, 06:31 AM

AK - beautiful article. I was in Liverpool for vacation a year and half ago, and there was an exhibition of George's ukes - just a handful of them, but wow - and it was about then that my eldest started playing uke after she saw that George played. George had that effect of encouraging you to play - even if you didn't know him. There was just so much joy in the man. Thanks for capturing that spirit so wonderfully.

pat rock
03-07-2011, 07:13 AM
I can't wait to read this article!! George was such a fabulous musician. I always said that if a guitar was worth playing, then George played it. My personal favorite story about ukulele and George comes from Tom Petty. (He has a great storytelling style) Petty said that George came over one day to give him a new ukulele. This was the fourth ukulele that George had given him! "George," Petty said, "I don't think I need FOUR ukuleles!!"
George just smiled and said, "You will if we come over."
Of course, George was referring to the Beatles!

Can't wait to read the article

telebob
03-07-2011, 09:39 AM
AK - thanks for jumping into this thread. It's a pleasure to give thanks more personally to the author. BiG Kudos and Mahalo for your article on George and his ukes. Lookin' forward to your forthcoming articles too. Cheers! :)

A.K.
03-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Much obliged, Telebob. Glad you liked it. I'm looking forward to writing more for Ukulele Player.

Papa Tom
03-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Excellent article. The content of this magazine gets better and better all the time!

Plainsong
03-08-2011, 03:37 AM
I remember a Fender strat was kicking my butt in a way that no other instrument ever yet had, and it wasn't fun. I wasn't progressing. I felt like a total failure. Then we're watching the Anthology, and George looks like he's having fun. Hey, that looks small and comfortable to play, and it sounds great, why can't I play that instead?

My husband confused it with mandolin and said they were horrible and the necks were too cramped and the strings hurt. He was thinking of his dad's mandolin. So I put it out of my head for some more years. I won't let him forget that. :)

kameeley
04-02-2011, 09:49 PM
Cool article! I was in Liverpool last year and did a few beatle's tours. I didn't know you could also tour george's uke collection (putting that one in the bucket list). He is my favorite beatle.

guitharsis
04-03-2011, 08:41 AM
Great article. Thanks for sharing!

ukunuke
04-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Great article on George Harrison. And great link to all that uke news. Thanks so much!

A.K.
04-03-2011, 08:11 PM
AK - beautiful article. I was in Liverpool for vacation a year and half ago, and there was an exhibition of George's ukes - just a handful of them, but wow - and it was about then that my eldest started playing uke after she saw that George played. George had that effect of encouraging you to play - even if you didn't know him. There was just so much joy in the man. Thanks for capturing that spirit so wonderfully.

Thanks very much, John.

A.K.
04-03-2011, 08:23 PM
Enjoyed your George article a lot, but really looking forward to the May Singhi Breen article. It's hard to find much info on her, but I get the feeling she doesn't get the acknowledgement she deserves.

I agree, Janeray. I have enjoyed hunting down rare recordings of Breen. I especially enjoyed her 6-minute "Ukulele Lesson" recording, on which she played uke, her husband Peter DeRose played piano, and a woman named Vaughn DeLeath recited the instructions. They play "My Old Kentucky Home." They do everything so fast that I can't imagine a first-time uke player actually learning the song, but it's fun to listen to.

Her recordings of "What a Life" and "Sleepy Time Gal" with Gene Autry are fascinating.

byjimini
04-04-2011, 01:15 AM
I was in tears reading that - George was such a fun and likeable man - a perfect fit for the ukulele. Fantastic article, thanks very much. :)