PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Recently bought Kala Ka-T Saddle broke :(

freakinkhang
03-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Hey everyone, I bought my first ukulele a Kala Ka-T at Long & McQuade in Toronto 2 days ago. I started playing it today and the bridge broke right off the uke. I was playing it normally, and it seemed as though the glue was just not strong enough to hold it in place. To make things worse, I don't remember receiving a receipt for the transaction but I do know the transaction number because my friend bought a uke as well right before me. Not sure what I should do... does anyone know if it would most likely be covered under warranty from the store ?

SweetWaterBlue
03-06-2011, 10:47 AM
I would definitely contact the store. It is the bridge that came off by the way - not the saddle. The glue joint obviously failed. Assuming you did not do anything to cause the damage (like way over tightening the strings, or putting steel strings on it etc. ) I would think the store will cover it and probably just give you another one. Let us know how it works out for you.

If worse comes to worse, the fix isn't that bad. After masking off the area, a luthier would scrape off the old glue and simply glue it back on and clamp it overnight.

freakinkhang
03-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Woops, sorry I'll change that. I'm just going straight to the store tomorrow and see what they can do. Unfortunately they're closed on Sundays.

ksiegel
03-06-2011, 11:03 AM
That should be covered under warranty. If you only bought it two days ago, go back to the store immediately. You may not have a receipt, but THEY should have that information. If you can't get there today or Monday, CALL. Explain what happened. Tell them EXACTLY when you can get there.

How did you pay for the instrument? Cash, cheque, or credit/debit card? have you been to the store before? Have you estabished ANY kind of relationship with the person you bought the ukulele from? These are all things that can be in your favor toward a speedy resolution.

The secondary option is to go to the Kala web site, get the contact information, and contact them directly. You may want to do this concurrently. Include photos.

Good luck!

-Kurt

freakinkhang
03-06-2011, 06:08 PM
Thanks, I'll see what the store can do. I'm hoping just to get a more expensive ukulele, perhaps the build quality might be a bit better.

Nickie
03-06-2011, 07:00 PM
I'm still a newbie, but those strings look awfully thick. If they're the wrong ones, trying to tune the uke could rip a bridge right off the body.

Bassukuguy
03-06-2011, 07:51 PM
Kala is a reputable brand. ive had a Kala KA-C *concert version of yours* for around 3 years now, still plays fantastic. If you dont get anywhere with the Seller i suggest you call Kala. search the forums, they have awesome customer service. Hope for the best!

joeybug
03-06-2011, 10:08 PM
I hope the either the store or Kala are able to get that fixed for you! Good luck and keep us informed!

freakinkhang
03-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Hey everyone, thanks for your input! I went to the store today and they are ordering me a brand new one. Kala has a one year warranty so they're replacing it no questions asked which is great! Since I have a chance now, I could possibly go for a little bit more expensive uke. The store is also able to oder Kala acacia tenors, kala solid mahoganys, kala flame maple tenors, kala koa tenor, oh decisions decisions...

SweetWaterBlue
03-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Well there ya go then. I don't think it failed because it was lower in cost. Sometimes these things just happen.