PDA

View Full Version : Here's what I do in my "public musical life"

Chris Tarman
03-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Here's a video of one of the bands I play bass with. We'd just decided to do this a couple of days earlier, and it was the first time we'd played it publicly, and only the second time we'd played it together at all. The drummer and I used to do a more "traditional" version in a different band a long time ago. Obviously, the guitarist singing (not our actual singer, btw) hadn't learned the words completely. Also, there had been ZERO discussion of what we were going to play during the leads, or how we were going to end it. But it seemed OK, considering. We're mainly a country band, although we do play some rock. The audience seemed stunned. They sounded like they enjoyed it, but we got no dancers until nearly the end. There were lots of dancers on the other songs... maybe that ought to tell us something!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdwG-fb695c

roxhum
03-06-2011, 11:54 AM
I liked it. In fact, I was up and dancing to it!

Chris Tarman
03-06-2011, 11:55 AM
I liked it. In fact, I was up and dancing to it!

Well, that's encouraging!

Chris Tarman
03-06-2011, 12:18 PM
I forgot to mention that under my jacket, I was wearing my navy blue "Ukulele Underground" t-shirt. So I was "representing".

mm stan
03-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Aloha Chris,
Cool band...you guys rock man.....must have been a fun gig...where was that at???? thanks for sharing...MM Stan

Chris Tarman
03-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Aloha Chris,
Cool band...you guys rock man.....must have been a fun gig...where was that at???? thanks for sharing...MM Stan

It was last night at the West Elk Bar in Hotchkiss Colorado, about 45 miles from my town.

cletus
03-06-2011, 02:14 PM
A Ukulele Underground T- shirt in Hotchkiss! They must have thought you were a coal miner gigging after your day job.
What is the name of the band and how did you get the gig? Was Todd the Pod in attendance?

Chris Tarman
03-06-2011, 02:30 PM
A Ukulele Underground T- shirt in Hotchkiss! They must have thought you were a coal miner gigging after your day job.
What is the name of the band and how did you get the gig? Was Todd the Pod in attendance?

We're called "Six Feet Under". I don't really like the name, and I really thought we should have been "The Trainwreckers", since our singer was driving a semi truck that got hit by a coal train outside of Hotchkiss last summer (he was, thankfully, totally unhurt even though the train pushed the truck about 300 feet down the track). Two of the guys in the band are from Crawford, near Hotchkiss, and they went to High School in Hotchkiss. I used to play with them in a slightly different band, and we gigged regularly in Hotchkiss, and occasionally in Gunnison and Paonia.
We play in that bar once a month generally. At our last gig, I wore my "Say Aloha To My Little Friend" UU shirt, and got positive comment from someone in the crowd. It's a pretty friendly crowd, since everyone knows our lead singer. In fact, when the singer and I were eating chips and salsa in his kitchen at 3AM (our post-gig ritual), we discussed adding the uke to "Margaritaville", and getting the lead guitarist to play bass on that song. I think the crowd would enjoy it. I might have to encase the uke in chicken wire to protect it, though!

fitncrafty
03-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Chris this is great! I don't know why you don't take your ukulele playing public, you really should!
Thanks for sharing!

Chris Tarman
03-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Chris this is great! I don't know why you don't take your ukulele playing public, you really should!
Thanks for sharing!
I plan to. It's mainly for lack of an appropriate venue. I do a song in the other band I play bass for where I start the song on uke and end it on bass.

cletus
03-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Have the uke with you at all times, Joe Cocker may turn up and want you to play "Feelin' Alright" with him.:music:

Chris Tarman
03-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Have the uke with you at all times, Joe Cocker may turn up and want you to play "Feelin' Alright" with him.:music:

Hey, good point! (For those of you not "In The Know" about Western Colorado, Joe "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" Cocker lives in Crawford, CO... at least part of the time).

DAPuke
03-07-2011, 06:09 AM
cool Chris, thanks for sharing your band. Ya'll be rockn!
Don

Chris Tarman
03-25-2011, 12:28 PM
Here's the OTHER band I play bass with. I shot this with my iPhone set on top of my amp, so it's not the most interesting view (unless you're a bass player, perhaps). We're just learning this song, so it's not quite the correct arrangement. The band is called "The Stupid Band", which always causes confusion when I say "I have a a gig with The Stupid Band" or "I have Stupid Band practice that night....". People invariably ask "Why do you play with them if you don't like it?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJQ66aKyDBQ

KamakOzzie
03-25-2011, 05:19 PM
Hey Chris. Nice pickin'. Is that your '77 Jazz Bass? I pulled the pick-up covers off of mine back in '65. That bass is long gone out the broken back window of my car, but I still have the "ashtray" around somewhere.

Bill

Chris Tarman
03-25-2011, 05:37 PM
Hey Chris. Nice pickin'. Is that your '77 Jazz Bass? I pulled the pick-up covers off of mine back in '65. That bass is long gone out the broken back window of my car, but I still have the "ashtray" around somewhere.

Bill

Yup. That's my baby. I bought it in '99 from Elderly Instruments. It looked like it had been played for about 6 months and then stuck in its case in a closet. I thought the covers looked cool, and decided to try playing it with them on for a while before I took them off. I actually LIKED them, and never did take them off, other than to change strings and occasionally clean under them. I get a lot of compliments on the looks of that bass. Now, after 12 years with me, it has worn down to undercoat and a couple of spots of bare wood where my forearm rests on it. All from me! Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!!!

Chris Tarman
03-25-2011, 05:48 PM
I forgot to mention that this was shot during a practice, not an actual gig. One of the things that makes The Stupid Band a stupid band is that we only play two gigs a year, at Halloween and Earth Day. So we have a show coming up in just a few weeks. For some dumb reason, we practice nearly every week. I would rather start rehearsing a couple of months out from the gig instead of EVERY single week... but the guys have been doing this for about 25 years now. I think I've been with them for 7 or so... I guess we usually take a month or two off after a gig. You know, to rest up...