Oily Cow! Guitars are HUGE!

OldePhart

Reaction score
Heh. Haven't played my Taylor 312CE in about six months or so. Other than lending it to our worship leader a couple of days when his guitar was acting up the poor thing hasn't been out of its case. So, tonight I pick it up and, whoa, it felt like I was trying to wrap my arms around a washing machine!

I still play bass regularly, so that feels normal, but, man, that acoustic guitar (312 is a small-body "auditorium" guitar, BTW) feels huge!

The neck felt like a baseball bat, and I've always loved Taylor necks for their slim profile!

I guess I'm truly ukified. LOL

John

I have a Taylor 310 that has been seriously neglected for the past year or so, because, frankly, after playing uke, I'm just too lazy to drag it out and pull it out of the case. It's like a battleship. I've seriously thought about selling it, and even put it on Craigslist, but backed out at the last minute before selling. It's a perfect guitar for me, I'm just not sure I enjoy playing anymore.

I'm teaching myself guitar alongside uke and it's really a universe of difference

I'm teaching myself guitar alongside uke and it's really a universe of difference

Me too, won't know for awhile if it's a good idea or not, but I had guitars under the bed for years so there must be something left there at least by osmosis worth tickling.

The really GOOD part was my hubby, who after insisting that he wanted to learn guitar (a "man's instument" I suppose) finally threw in the towel and embraced his bari uke and is determined to put some time into it. Now that I have an awesome cheap little bari scale electric guitar and he sees how much of a blast I'm having with it he's said go ahead and get a nice electric uke, life is too short and you enjoy it so much. And guitar is so difficult, you should put the time into uke since that's what you love the most and the string spacing is so tight on the electric guitar. He won't even touch it, his fingers are so big he'll hit no less than two strings at a time. So maybe he wants an electric uke, but it's an interesting avenue to getting the electric uke I wanted originally and was shot down on, lol.

RG, did you see my rec for blues books on the other thread?

Is it only me, when you play guitars and switch to the ukulele...it takes a minuete or two to adjust...from the deep rich guitar sounds...:)

I'm considering giving up acoustic guitar in whole and just sticking to electric guitar.
Since I play ukulele I don't have as much fun playing the guitar as I used to :(
I'll stick to the electric because well, that's a whole different thing :p

I always remember Ukulele packaging as much bigger so when I get a new one I'm suddenly reminded of how small they are or at least the sopranos are! Then I get used to the size and it all starts again.I don't play guitar but could imagine how big it would seem after six months of Ukulele playing!

I picked up one of my acoustic guitars a few weeks ago and was also blown away at how much it had grown. It was also WAY louder than I remembered. I kind of miss being able to get an instrument that loud, but overall the uke is a clear winner for me. I thought of selling off the third acoustics that I have left, but I keep telling myself that my daughters may want them someday. I will probably sell at least one this summer.

I did a gig last night with my band, hadn't played a guitar for only a week, just my uke. The first song of the night, we'd played hundreds of times and I stuffed it royaly lol.

Yes~ Definite Transition in both tone when comparing my dreadnaught and concert uke. I might have to go smaller in my next upgrade guitar. I love both!!!

It always takes me a few moments to get into the 'groove' of whatever I'm playing. After about 5 mins of wrong notes and botched chords I'm usually ok. Oddly enough the size difference doesn't bother me any more...it's just chord shapes that foul me up.

Hmmmm. Interesting. For some reason I got my Dreadnought out this weekend after watching a Willie Nelson special ( and his unbelievably beat up guitar :)) and thought I would try a few licks. And Wow, thought I was picking up an elephant. Messed with it for about an hour, than thought, lovingly, back you go to bed for another year or two. Just can't believe how much I love my Ukes. True, they don't have that deep bass booming steel string sound, which I do miss once in awhile, but the trade off is OK. With the quality of ukes now available to all of us, we are getting a much nicer sound than ukes of old ( except a few of the better made ones of course) Lozark

I have never played guitar but have to say that this message almost made me choke on my breakfast from the laughter!
My two boys play guitar and we bought my son an acoustic for his birthday and it is huge to me!

I am definitely ukified!

I really can't believe I used to carry an electric guitar, heavy amp, cords, pedals, picks all around town back in the olden days.
I have no desire to even pick up a guitar to look at anymore. Just my 2 cents...

My roommate has a dreadnought guitar she's been keeping under her bed for years. She told me that she wanted to learn to play it, as she'd been watching me having a blast on the uke for long enough that she's motivated to pull out her guitar (I'm so excited - this has happened with at least three people so far - they've seen me playing all the time, and have started or restarted learning their own instruments because I look like I'm having so much fun! It's awesome!).
So, I offered to tune it for her. I could hardly fit my arms around it! Seriously, it was like a whale =P

I have a theory why people say the guitar is 'too big.' It's very easy to play the ukulele with poor posture. To get my arm comfortably around a guitar I need to maintain proper posture. When I discovered this, it made the transition a ton easier. It made playing ukulele without a strap a lot easier for me too. Take notice next time you play.

I tried hefting a banjo once. (13 pounds vs. my 8 oz. soprano)

Oily Cow.........?

It always takes me a few moments to get into the 'groove' of whatever I'm playing. After about 5 mins of wrong notes and botched chords I'm usually ok. Oddly enough the size difference doesn't bother me any more...it's just chord shapes that foul me up.

Agreed- it takes a minute to get back in the groove for me too.

Top Bottom