Anyone with Windy City Uke Fest info?

salsarocket

Reaction score
I'm planning on going to the WCUF for a day and I was wondering if anyone had any info on it. The website had good stuff on it but if someone who's been there before or someone who's going to be there knows anything more I would love to hear it.

This is the 1st year at this venue. There was a smaller version last year that was very nicely attended. This year brings many more workshops, a full performance schedule and lots of activities to be more inclusive such as the sing-a-longs. What kind of info were you looking for? I'm not affiliated with the event but I may be able to help. I'm attending as well.. shaping up to be a great time.

I just wanted some basic info. I've never gone to anything like this before, and I am very interested in going this year, now that I know things like this exist. Thanks for the info.

Basically, register and pay because space is limited. Decide what workshops you'd like to attend. From the schedule, it looks like looking up the workshop teachers and what they are about might be the better way to find something you are interested in. Show up and don't forget to bring a uke! While attending, sit in on the fun as much as possible.. go to the open mics and sing-a-longs.. visit the vendors (MusicGuyMic aka Michael will be there an I'm sure bring along enough ukes to keep one drooling all weekend). If you see a group just jamming away.. walk up and listen in and if you feel comfortable, join in. Uke fests are a blast and every one I've been to is a bit different. But the people are what makes 'em and I think this one's going to be fantastic! If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to give 'em a shot.

I hope to see you there! I'll either be wearing my 4th Peg logo shirt with my website on it (www.4thpeg.com and a hep cat playin' a uke) or hopefully my new Ukulele Hero t-shirt (would be a great game but really small controllers).

Alan Johnson

http://www.windycityukefest.com/

Seeso is going to be one of the the performers there on Friday (Aug 1st), so you'll want to be there for that I'm sure! LOL

I'm surprised he hasn't chimed in on this thread... it's been a while since I've seen Seeso around. Hmmmmmm....

Seeso was one of the reasons the Fest was so intriguing to me! I can't wait to meet some fellow uke-ists. It's felt a little lonely out here in the 'burbs of Chicago, me being one of two people in my town who even know what an ukulele is. Sad, really... Oh, well. I guess that makes me the best around, right? :)

Hopefully I'll see you there Alan!
PS: your website's awesome.

Ha ha... hell yeah!

Well if I was still living out in Chicago, I'd be there with yah! Like I told Seeso before, I used to live in Franklin Park, while I was working for UAL at O'Hare (1998 - 2002).

Ha ha... hell yeah!

Well if I was still living out in Chicago, I'd be there with yah! Like I told Seeso before, I used to live in Franklin Park, while I was working for UAL at O'Hare (1998 - 2002).

Sounds like good times! I guess you'll be missing out....:)

I really wanted to see Seeso too but I'm out of town for the week and might not make it back in until late Friday night. I had all my uke fest events all nailed down then... darn you, work, darn you! At least there's Saturday.

Thanks for the visit to the 4th Peg, SalsaRocket! There's getting to be way too many excellent uke forums around :D You aren't the only one by far in Chicago that's playing the uke. Terry Truhart's started a uke group near UIC that's been growing like weeds. With this event, we should really bring them out of the woodwork.

It's very comforting to know I'm not alone! :) Terry's group sounds very interesting; anywhere I could get info? And it sounds like I'm leaning towards going Saturday, too. Great stuff then, so no big loss. I'll look for you!

-salsarocket a.k.a. Tony

Tony, you can find Terry's organization at http://nuiukulele.org/ and you'll find Terry an avid fan of the uke and a great teacher as well. If you are around the Chicago Uke Fest on Friday, check out Steve Slivka performing at 6:00pm. He works at the same company as my wife and, although I've not caught him yet, supposed to be a great act.

I'm really disappointed to miss Friday night's performances. I would have loved to catch Steve as well as Ali Lexa. Ali's performances are an inspiration to all those that love jazz and jazz on the uke.

Top Bottom