for Electrics - a new String Gauge and Tension calculator

MixSon

Reaction score
I have posted a downloadable String Tension & Gauges calculator on my website at http://www.mandolier.com/stringstunings.html. It is designed for electric players, as the string materials are limited to plain steel and nickel round-wound, and can be used for any instrument that uses .007 plain through .080 wound. It is a Microsoft Excel workbook in .xls format, so should work with versions 1997 and forward.

I have been working on this, off and on, ever since I discovered the D’Addario unit weights chart a few years ago. The beauty of this, as compared to my earlier versions, is that the frequency and unit weight reference charts, as well as the formula sheets, are hidden from view, eliminating a lot of overwhelming clutter. Also, there are actually two separate calculators, one to get tensions based on gauge, and another to get gauges based on tension.

Download the file for free – I only ask that when you tell others about it, that you direct them to the website to get their own, rather than sharing the file itself via email, etc. There is important information about the calculators on the web page, too.

I hope you find it interesting and/or helpful.

Top Bottom