George formby on uk radio 2 tonight (7th).

GrumpyOldMan

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm a bit late with this one but only just got home from work.
Tonight, Mon 7th March at 22.00, RADIO 2, "GEORGE FORMBY - BRITAINS ORIGINAL POP STAR".
I think this is a new programme and is done by Stuart Maconie who is also a Wigan lad so should be good. Don't know if it will offer anything new after "Turned out nice again" which was on a couple of years back but will be worth a listen.
Set your PVR for Freeview channel 702 at 22.00 for an hour.

Cheers,
Ian.

P.S. Apologies for lower case F on Formby in title. Can't change it now and it will bug me forever.

Drat! I'm on a trip and won't be able to catch it. I used to think George Formby was just goofy, but have really been getting in to his music lately, and listened to the disk of his in "My Little Ukulele In My Hands" yesterday morning.

Drat! I'm on a trip and won't be able to catch it. I used to think George Formby was just goofy, but have really been getting in to his music lately, and listened to the disk of his in "My Little Ukulele In My Hands" yesterday morning.

It'll be on Listen Again for a week.
Sadly nowadays most people think he was just goofy but listen carefully and there is some great music, amazing Uke playing and some very witty lyrics. He wasn't Britains highest paid performer fo no reason.

Great programme which was only really spoiled for me by KT Tunstall who seemed to have no real idea what she was talking about.
Part 2 next Monday night.

Can this be downlaoded or streamed anywhere? Would love to hear it. I have a 10-CD set of Formby's music and I love to listen to him. I used to watch his movies - can't find them on DVD these days but had a few on VHS a while back. TT Races was my favourite.

Agree about Kate Tunstall - what was she on?

Program should be available on Iplayer via BBC website. I can't check that right now as it's blocked from work.

I'm working my way through all the movies at the moment. I bought them on ebay for buttons. Clearly just recorded off the TV or whatever but quite watchable. I expect they're out of copyright now.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GEORGE-FORMBY...t=UK_CDsDVDs_DVDs_DVDs_GL&hash=item5adf0e5257

the TT one (No Limit) was definitely the best so far!

It can be listened to for the next week at http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/ but I suspect it is only available in the UK.

Regarding the films and copyright etc, I think they were out of copyright but the copyright may have been renewed as I think I heard that they are to be reissued on official DVD's. A while back there were lots of people selling the entire collection on ebay for just a few pounds but they mostly seem to have vanished now.

Thae statue they were talking about in Wigan was actually moved a year or two ago. When it was first made it was positioned in a place where no=one could find it and some fans had a campaign to get it moved. The person who sculpted it also did the one which is on the Isle of Man.

Ian.

Don't forget Part 2 tomorrow. 14th.
By the way, I was in Wigan yesterday and saw the George Formby Sculpture they were talking about. There's also a display of GF memorabilia. Forgot my camera though!

Ian.

Don't forget Part 2 tomorrow. 14th.
By the way, I was in Wigan yesterday and saw the George Formby Sculpture they were talking about. There's also a display of GF memorabilia. Forgot my camera though!

Ian.

Is the first part still on bbc i player? I seem to have missed this thread first time round!

I'm in the states, and that works fine.

Thanks for posting it! It was the 50th anniversary of George's passing last Sunday, March 6. I'm a huge fan.

Really! I'm amazed that went pretty much unnoticed although I guess that is why they broadcast this series. Even on the local news it went unmentioned and I live in the county town of Lancashire.
Shame they didn't show a season of his films to commemorate it.

Ian.

Well - the GFS went all out, with concerts and film series all over the north, especially in Wigan and other locations. It was by all accounts a massive undertaking, with members playing every one of the songs at a couple of the events. The big one was a two-day affair.

I wish I could have been there. :\

Top Bottom