Putting a "Koa" finish on mahogany

PhilUSAFRet

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Help.......I ran across a site/post where a uker described how he put a "koa" looking finish on a mahogany (I think) uke. It involved in using some black wood dye, and some type of "orange" stain, then finish. Anyone have this site saved? I can't find it and I want to put this on my kit uke.

I have never heard of this before. But may I ask, "why do you want to put a Koa finish on Mahogany." I honestly love the wood for what it is. No tofu hotdogs for me. Give me grilled tofu with slices of melted cheese on top or a real hotdog!

I have never heard of this before. But may I ask, "why do you want to put a Koa finish on Mahogany." I honestly love the wood for what it is. No tofu hotdogs for me. Give me grilled tofu with slices of melted cheese on top or a real hotdog!

Very well put ;) I think Mahogany looks great with a gloss or oil. Just my :2cents:

It's a "learning kit" and happens to be mahogany. The one I saw looked great. I planned on using oxalic acid to lighten, there's a spruce top going on it, and I planned on using golden pecan stain.

Top Bottom