Already saving up for my next ukulele

dip.mojica

Reaction score
After only a few weeks in, I'm already saving up for my next ukulele. Being a college student, it's going to take a while. I have a few options in mind and wanted to know what you guys think. I originally was looking at a kamaka 4 string tenor and kamaka pineapple, but now I'm also thinking about a custom ukulele. I just learned about moor bettah ukuleles yesterday and fell in love! How do these options compare in sound, and is the price difference worth it? I know its early, but i already want to set a goal on how much i should save up. Thanks!

And just to be a contrarian, I'll say that Kamaka has been making ukes since 1916. I'm already gunning for my second. My pineapple sings!

Wow, all fantastic choices. But you will be saving a lot longer for that Moore Bettah.

have you considered a Mya Moe? A little less than a Moore Bettah, magnificently crafted and the sweetest sounding ukes you'll find. Also, if you're thinking about a $1500 price range, I'd consider a Collings as well. I also agree with pdxuke and his Kamaka pineapple endorsement. They are the juiciest and well below $1000. Then there are the Black Bear custom ukes made by Duane Heilman whose work is simply brilliant...so many great makers out there. What a choice!!!! :confused: Happy shopping mate. :)

You are not alone ^.^ I began saving for my Kamaka a mere month after receiving my LU-21. Cant go wrong there! if you have the patience to save for a Moore Bettah, go for it. I wish I did xD his inlay work is just amazing, and someday I hope I can come up with a dream uke I can get custom made. But for now, Kamaka concert it is :D

Nuprin made a great video comparing his Mya Moe, MP Custon, Kamaka and Kanile'a tenors. It won't help you decide between any of these ukes and a Moore Bettah, but the comparison between the Mya Moe and the Kamaka tenors may help.

YouTube has a several video reviews of Moore Bettah ukuleles.

I also started with a Fender No'hea but UAS quickly crept in and I bought a Ko'Aloha Concert which I absolutely love!

Of course, this doesn't mean that I don't also have my eye on a Moore Bettah or a Kamaka Pineapple. Or maybe both...

just read my signature. 'nuff said.

Aloha Dip.mojica,
I'd say get what you're most comfortable in budget that you can afford....but by all the responses here...you already know what most members dream of and have...good luck and Happy Strummings...MM Stan
A ukulele in your hand is better than many in your mind......

Last edited:
Well, if you go for a Moore Bettah, probably should try to get a build slot first. By the time you secure a spot on Chuck's build list, you're probably well on your way to saving up for the uke when it's complete. Either that or watch his For Sale page like a hawk. I struck out over the past weekend trying to buy one of the spec ukes he just listed. LOL! According to Chuck they usually last only a couple of hours!

BTW, I find that there is a noticeable difference between a good luthier built custom level ukulele and a factory built one. I vastly prefer playing my custom built instruments even though the factory ones I have are also quite nice.

thanks for all the replies guys! I'll look at all of the other options that you guys recommended. At the moment, I can actually but a kamaka, but i think I'll save up for the moore bettah and decide when i get there. anymore options you guys would recommend. i love learning about different manufacturers!

Aloha Dip.mojica,
I'd say get what you're most comfortable in budget that you can afford....but by all the responses here...you already know what most members dream of and have...good luck and Happy Strummings...MM Stan
A ukulele in your hand is better than many in your mind......

very true! i'm going to stay focused on getting better.

I'm close to reaching my goal for my next Ukulele, I have my sights set on a Tanglewood, one day I'll have the patience and money to save up for a Kamaka or a custom, but for now, as Stan says the ones I have (and the one I can get in a few weeks) is much better than dreaming for one and not having any!

I'm close to reaching my goal for my next Ukulele, I have my sights set on a Tanglewood, one day I'll have the patience and money to save up for a Kamaka or a custom, but for now, as Stan says the ones I have (and the one I can get in a few weeks) is much better than dreaming for one and not having any!

True! I already told myeslf though that I'm never going to own more than 2 ukuleles at a time. If I get a thrid, than one must go. I'm not sure if i'm going to end up following this rule of mine though :p Hope you are able to get that Tanglewood soon!

True! I already told myeslf though that I'm never going to own more than 2 ukuleles at a time. If I get a thrid, than one must go. I'm not sure if i'm going to end up following this rule of mine though :p Hope you are able to get that Tanglewood soon!

Yep, I was trying that philosophy of "only two" just like you. But now I'm wondering how I can possibly exist without both a high- and low-G tenor, in addition to my concert. It's truly a sickness, this UAS.

I should be able to afford it in two weeks :eek: So excited!! Good Luck saving up for your Moore Bettah :drool:

UAS is a sickness, but they're just so pretty!!

This is the big revolution in the world of music. If world has started accepting it. I hope one day it will take over the world.

Well, if you go for a Moore Bettah, probably should try to get a build slot first. By the time you secure a spot on Chuck's build list, you're probably well on your way to saving up for the uke when it's complete. Either that or watch his For Sale page like a hawk. I struck out over the past weekend trying to buy one of the spec ukes he just listed. LOL! According to Chuck they usually last only a couple of hours!

Just when you thought UAS was over...

As for the OP, all of those that you listed are excellent choices and are good investments which hold their value rather well if you take care of them. My personal pick, if I had the money and the patience would be for the Moore Bettah. Some of his work is just beautiful!

Top Bottom