PDA

View Full Version : WTB: ~$300 Solid Koa Tenor

commandercup
03-07-2011, 06:00 PM
edit: Bought a KPK as a holdover

I'm currently ukeless and I want something that'll keep me safe from UAS (at least for a while) so I want a solid Koa uke.

My budget is just around $300 as a student which means that the big K brands are obviously way too much. I'm looking for Honu, KPK etc.

Hopefully $300 can get me a Koa uke! :drool:

rasputinsghost
03-07-2011, 07:31 PM
KPK isn't really koa, strictly speaking. Good luck in your search, though, maybe someone has a Keli'i sitting around which is indeed a K brand.

Mraz
03-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Its not Koa, but you could get a solid wood Pono for around that price, especially used. They're great ukes, and can't be beat in that price range. I have one, and I loveee it.

haolejohn
03-08-2011, 11:04 AM
I'm currently ukeless and I want something that'll keep me safe from UAS (at least for a while) so I want a solid Koa uke.

My budget is just around $300 as a student which means that the big K brands are obviously way too much. I'm looking for Honu, KPK etc.

Hopefully $300 can get me a Koa uke! :drool:

$300 for a used solid koa tenor is reaching. Mele sells a mahog backa nd sides with koa back as does keli'i. Check the used market. If you can double that, I'll give you a great deal.

commandercup
03-08-2011, 02:08 PM
I think I'll just go for a KPK until I can save up a larger sum unless someone can offer me something before I actually pull the trigger, I sort of want to get a guitalele now too. :eek:

haolejohn
03-08-2011, 02:12 PM
I think I'll just go for a KPK until I can save up a larger sum unless someone can offer me something before I actually pull the trigger, I sort of want to get a guitalele now too. :eek:

what is the price diference between a KPK and a kala acacia?

commandercup
03-08-2011, 02:42 PM
what is the price diference between a KPK and a kala acacia?

The Kala Acacia costs $328 on Elderly while the KPK is $185-200.

haolejohn
03-09-2011, 03:26 AM
The Kala Acacia costs $328 on Elderly while the KPK is $185-200.

I'd go with the kala. KPKs are decent but i just haven't played one that really impressed me. There is a rede cedar mainland for sell here from gmoney. that is a great instrument.

PhilUSAFRet
03-09-2011, 08:52 AM
As of yesterday evening, there was a mint Pono solid mahogany Tenor cutaway with eq and Koloa case for $300....down from $350 a while ago. I doubt you'll find an outfit sounding better than this for $300

commandercup
03-09-2011, 09:30 AM
I'd go with the kala. KPKs are decent but i just haven't played one that really impressed me. There is a rede cedar mainland for sell here from gmoney. that is a great instrument.

Eh, with the price difference I can live with a uke that sounds close to the kala since it only has to hold me over until I can afford one of the real K brands. I would go for a mainland, but I really don't like the rope binding and it kills any appeal instantly (at least for me).

As of yesterday evening, there was a mint Pono solid mahogany Tenor cutaway with eq and Koloa case for $300....down from $350 a while ago. I doubt you'll find an outfit sounding better than this for $300

WHERE!? I'd definitely grab a Pono at a nice price. :drool: