Should I take my uke?

NatalieS

Reaction score
Next Friday I'll be attending a St. Patty's Day party. I know it'll be a good time because it's hosted by good friends, and there'll be lots of singing. The hosts have a guitar and mandolin to play, and invited people to bring their own instruments. I think it'd be fun to take my Kamaka (which is the only uke I have), but I'm a little nervous about introducing her to the world via a raucous drinking party. What do you all think? Will my beloved instrument be ok?

P.S. A voice in my head said, "Oh you idiot, take it."

I would not take a Kamaka to that party. These situations scream "Fluke!".

Oh take your Kamaka to the party. But... this is an argument for having two ukes. But take it, what are the chances. When you are not with it keep it safely in the case.

I agree with all. You'll regret not taking it but just make sure it's safe when you're not playing it. And definitely use this as an excuse to get a beater uke.

I find that people are generally respectful of musical instruments. You set the tone, and people will follow - I used to hate it when people would put a beer on my guitar amp or piano - the Kamaka shouldn't have that problem!!

Take it, but protect it like you would your child ! Don't pass it around and keep it tethered to your person at all times. Alcohol has a way of un-inhibiting people to do things they might not normally. Have a good time and play and sing your heart out. Might have to play a bit louder to be heard :) Have Fun!! Lozark

Too bad you sold that custom painted fluke, Natalie. Flukes love St. Patty's Day parties!

Take it, and play it. And don't let it out of your sight if things start getting too rowdy.

This brings up a good discussion about "beater ukes" - are they really necessary? Many people here keep one or more around; I've got the Ohana for this very reason. Except I haven't played it or taken it out of the house since... last September, I think. I don't find myself at raucous drinking parties all that often in my old age, but I do find myself bringing my Kamaka soprano to the park and to the beach all the time. You know, exposing it to temperature changes and all those horrors. And it's fine.

When I was planning my recent trip to Hawaii, I couldn't decide which uke to bring. One of my instructors said to just bring the one I like playing the most (Kamaka concert), and I took his advice. That uke survived airports, flying, daily trips to the beach, and being unattended in a hotel room (this last thing was my biggest worry). And now that I'm back home and it's almost beach season again, it will probably accompany me there every weekend over the summer.

Of course, it helps that I have *two* of them - if I only had one main uke, I would probably keep a beater around. Or if my main uke was a one-of-a-kind custom. (Some would argue that each Kamaka is one-of-a-kind, and they would be right, but - if the worst happened, it's still pretty easily replaced.)

Anyway. Have fun at the party, and happy St. Paddy's day!

Hi

I would definitly take it. If you're worried about it, you can keep it in your car/trunk and once you feel safe, bring it out and play. I bet people will appreciate the fine koa wood on your Kamaka.

If you can, bring your turtle, too......

Cheers
Chief

Good points about whether or not to have a beater uke. I definitely plan on taking my KoAloha to Hawaii when next I go (April 2012). My thoughts for my beater is to take it on trips where I won't be able to comfortably ensure my uke's safety. For example, I'm doing a week-long cycling event in September and the organizers take everyone's (2,200 cyclists) luggage from campsite to campsite each day while we ride. We're limited to one bag weighing not more than 65 lbs. My KoAloha in its hard case isn't that heavy but it is bulky. I'll have no problem throwing my Woody in my baggage.

I guess I could just go a week without playing but I'd rather not.

Get yourself a beater..

The Kamaka, I would take, wouldn't be careless with it though.
Of course I don't know how wild the party's gonna be.

Have fun and be safe.

Cheers.

I personally would take it. However, if you're uptight about other people playing it and such, don't bring it. I brought my Koalohas to a party last weekend, and almost everybody wanted to play them; even people with no musical background. Everyone's gonna wanna try it, especially 'cause it's a soprano. People tend to think because it's so small, anyone can play it. So people will be strumming it all incorrectly over the sound hole and possibly scratching up the sound board. I made the decision early on that the Koalohas would be players, so I don't sweat a little wear and tear.

I personally would take it. However, if you're uptight about other people playing it and such, don't bring it. I brought my Koalohas to a party last weekend, and almost everybody wanted to play them; even people with no musical background. Everyone's gonna wanna try it, especially 'cause it's a soprano. People tend to think because it's so small, anyone can play it. So people will be strumming it all incorrectly over the sound hole and possibly scratching up the sound board. I made the decision early on that the Koalohas would be players, so I don't sweat a little wear and tear.

I was fine with everyone's suggestions to take it... until I read your post, haha. I do NOT feel comfortable passing my uke around, especially to people who think it's a toy and will want to try it out. I might have to just keep it in the car (should be ~70 degrees in there) and bring it in if it doesn't look too rowdy there.

I do know there will be a guitar and mandolin out. Maybe I can see how people treat those instruments first.

Remember: a uke is different. Trust me. It's very unintimidating, if that's even a word. No one wants to try a guitar 'cause it's too big. And a mandolin isn't as "cute" as a uke. Haha.

I'd bring it, and leave it in your car. Do some surveying of the crowd, and locations for uke storage. If you feel safe with it, go get it out of the car. If not, then no one will know you even brought it.
If you do bring it in to play, use it, then return it to the safety of your car. That's what I'd do. (Or bring my flea and pass it around!)

Cheers,
Skottoman

Order one of Music Guy Mic's new dolphins w/ the case and it'll arrive just in time!

Dolphins love parties -- I've taken mine to 3 already, and that's how hopkid and his Beloved found out that I also am Uke-obsessed.

Plus, we converted a couple of guitar players to the Way of Uke!

One of the things about having a good ukulele is you get spoiled.
When I play at a party I like to have one of my "A" instruments, but fear for their safety.
I dislike being a snob, but if something bad is going to happen to one my "babies" I want to be at my hands.
I have a few Dolphins I loan to others to play. Pick yourself up a cheapie and take two to the party, you can play and protect your
Kamaka and let others join in on the fun and play the 2nd uke.

Take it, and make sure you put it somewhere safe.

If someone wants to play it, you can sheepishly tell them something like, "It's like my baby, and I'm not really comfortable with other people holding/playing it." That usually works for me.

Beater. I put all my ukes away except for one when my little one has a play date at the house. Having a 10 year old playing my MB like its a guitar on Hannah Montana is not for me when I have a $100 Leolani that can fill in.

Top Bottom