PDA

View Full Version : Should I take my uke?

NatalieS
03-08-2011, 03:42 AM
Next Friday I'll be attending a St. Patty's Day party. I know it'll be a good time because it's hosted by good friends, and there'll be lots of singing. The hosts have a guitar and mandolin to play, and invited people to bring their own instruments. I think it'd be fun to take my Kamaka (which is the only uke I have), but I'm a little nervous about introducing her to the world via a raucous drinking party. What do you all think? Will my beloved instrument be ok?

P.S. A voice in my head said, "Oh you idiot, take it."

cletus
03-08-2011, 03:45 AM
I would not take a Kamaka to that party. These situations scream "Fluke!".

roxhum
03-08-2011, 03:46 AM
Oh take your Kamaka to the party. But... this is an argument for having two ukes. But take it, what are the chances. When you are not with it keep it safely in the case.

hopkid
03-08-2011, 03:52 AM
I agree with all. You'll regret not taking it but just make sure it's safe when you're not playing it. And definitely use this as an excuse to get a beater uke.

pat rock
03-08-2011, 04:00 AM
I find that people are generally respectful of musical instruments. You set the tone, and people will follow - I used to hate it when people would put a beer on my guitar amp or piano - the Kamaka shouldn't have that problem!!

lozarkman
03-08-2011, 04:07 AM
Take it, but protect it like you would your child ! Don't pass it around and keep it tethered to your person at all times. Alcohol has a way of un-inhibiting people to do things they might not normally. Have a good time and play and sing your heart out. Might have to play a bit louder to be heard :) Have Fun!! Lozark

dkcrown
03-08-2011, 04:20 AM
Too bad you sold that custom painted fluke, Natalie. Flukes love St. Patty's Day parties!

janeray1940
03-08-2011, 04:38 AM
Take it, and play it. And don't let it out of your sight if things start getting too rowdy.

This brings up a good discussion about "beater ukes" - are they really necessary? Many people here keep one or more around; I've got the Ohana for this very reason. Except I haven't played it or taken it out of the house since... last September, I think. I don't find myself at raucous drinking parties all that often in my old age, but I do find myself bringing my Kamaka soprano to the park and to the beach all the time. You know, exposing it to temperature changes and all those horrors. And it's fine.

When I was planning my recent trip to Hawaii, I couldn't decide which uke to bring. One of my instructors said to just bring the one I like playing the most (Kamaka concert), and I took his advice. That uke survived airports, flying, daily trips to the beach, and being unattended in a hotel room (this last thing was my biggest worry). And now that I'm back home and it's almost beach season again, it will probably accompany me there every weekend over the summer.

Of course, it helps that I have *two* of them - if I only had one main uke, I would probably keep a beater around. Or if my main uke was a one-of-a-kind custom. (Some would argue that each Kamaka is one-of-a-kind, and they would be right, but - if the worst happened, it's still pretty easily replaced.)

Anyway. Have fun at the party, and happy St. Paddy's day!

chiefnoda
03-08-2011, 04:48 AM
Hi

I would definitly take it. If you're worried about it, you can keep it in your car/trunk and once you feel safe, bring it out and play. I bet people will appreciate the fine koa wood on your Kamaka.

If you can, bring your turtle, too......

Cheers
Chief

hopkid
03-08-2011, 04:51 AM
Good points about whether or not to have a beater uke. I definitely plan on taking my KoAloha to Hawaii when next I go (April 2012). My thoughts for my beater is to take it on trips where I won't be able to comfortably ensure my uke's safety. For example, I'm doing a week-long cycling event in September and the organizers take everyone's (2,200 cyclists) luggage from campsite to campsite each day while we ride. We're limited to one bag weighing not more than 65 lbs. My KoAloha in its hard case isn't that heavy but it is bulky. I'll have no problem throwing my Woody in my baggage.

I guess I could just go a week without playing but I'd rather not.

tjomball
03-08-2011, 04:57 AM
Get yourself a beater..

Mr Bill
03-08-2011, 04:59 AM
The Kamaka, I would take, wouldn't be careless with it though.
Of course I don't know how wild the party's gonna be.

Have fun and be safe.

Cheers.

soupking
03-08-2011, 05:38 AM
I personally would take it. However, if you're uptight about other people playing it and such, don't bring it. I brought my Koalohas to a party last weekend, and almost everybody wanted to play them; even people with no musical background. Everyone's gonna wanna try it, especially 'cause it's a soprano. People tend to think because it's so small, anyone can play it. So people will be strumming it all incorrectly over the sound hole and possibly scratching up the sound board. I made the decision early on that the Koalohas would be players, so I don't sweat a little wear and tear.

NatalieS
03-08-2011, 05:45 AM
I personally would take it. However, if you're uptight about other people playing it and such, don't bring it. I brought my Koalohas to a party last weekend, and almost everybody wanted to play them; even people with no musical background. Everyone's gonna wanna try it, especially 'cause it's a soprano. People tend to think because it's so small, anyone can play it. So people will be strumming it all incorrectly over the sound hole and possibly scratching up the sound board. I made the decision early on that the Koalohas would be players, so I don't sweat a little wear and tear.

I was fine with everyone's suggestions to take it... until I read your post, haha. I do NOT feel comfortable passing my uke around, especially to people who think it's a toy and will want to try it out. I might have to just keep it in the car (should be ~70 degrees in there) and bring it in if it doesn't look too rowdy there.

I do know there will be a guitar and mandolin out. Maybe I can see how people treat those instruments first.

soupking
03-08-2011, 05:52 AM
Remember: a uke is different. Trust me. It's very unintimidating, if that's even a word. No one wants to try a guitar 'cause it's too big. And a mandolin isn't as "cute" as a uke. Haha.

Skottoman
03-08-2011, 05:55 AM
I'd bring it, and leave it in your car. Do some surveying of the crowd, and locations for uke storage. If you feel safe with it, go get it out of the car. If not, then no one will know you even brought it.
If you do bring it in to play, use it, then return it to the safety of your car. That's what I'd do. (Or bring my flea and pass it around!)

Cheers,
Skottoman

Maiyah888
03-08-2011, 06:02 AM
Order one of Music Guy Mic's new dolphins w/ the case and it'll arrive just in time!

Dolphins love parties -- I've taken mine to 3 already, and that's how hopkid and his Beloved found out that I also am Uke-obsessed.

Plus, we converted a couple of guitar players to the Way of Uke!

SailingUke
03-08-2011, 06:33 AM
One of the things about having a good ukulele is you get spoiled.
When I play at a party I like to have one of my "A" instruments, but fear for their safety.
I dislike being a snob, but if something bad is going to happen to one my "babies" I want to be at my hands.
I have a few Dolphins I loan to others to play. Pick yourself up a cheapie and take two to the party, you can play and protect your
Kamaka and let others join in on the fun and play the 2nd uke.

SailQwest
03-08-2011, 06:41 AM
Take it, and make sure you put it somewhere safe.

If someone wants to play it, you can sheepishly tell them something like, "It's like my baby, and I'm not really comfortable with other people holding/playing it." That usually works for me.

Ronnie Aloha
03-08-2011, 06:45 AM
Beater. I put all my ukes away except for one when my little one has a play date at the house. Having a 10 year old playing my MB like its a guitar on Hannah Montana is not for me when I have a $100 Leolani that can fill in.

SweetWaterBlue
03-08-2011, 06:55 AM
At first blush, I don't think I would take it. This is what beater ukes are for. People at parties are not going to appreciate a fine instrument anyway (assuming your non-uke friends are like mine). I'd either take my Flea or perhaps my Lanikai tenor, since I don't have many $$ tied up in that. Come to think of it, I don't have many $$ tied up in any of my ukes, but I would probably even worry about my Ohana sopranos at a drinking party. When the weather is nice, I sometimes ride my motorcycle to uke meet-ups. Think lots of vibration, and perhaps a shower. On those occasions, the Flea always seems to be the uke that gets to ride along on back, or at least it did before I let my mom borrow it.

The problem is you now only have one fine ukulele. Given that, I might be tempted to take it and as others have said, protect it well. Since some of them are apparently musicians, they probably will show the proper respect to your Kamaka.

JohnnyRockers
03-08-2011, 08:17 AM
Eh, I'd take it lol. I've taken my uke to a friend's 21st bday party (nothing screams party like beer-pong and ukuleles) and it was all good. People had fun with it and nothing ended up broken lol.

If anything, do this: bring your ukulele, but leave it in your car. Then, after you are there for a bit and can assess the situation, decide if you want to bust it out or not :)

dip.mojica
03-08-2011, 08:21 AM
take it! The party will be 100000 times better with a ukulele around!

Strato Streak
03-08-2011, 08:24 AM
Take it, and play it. And don't let it out of your sight if things start getting too rowdy.

This brings up a good discussion about "beater ukes" - are they really necessary? Many people here keep one or more around; I've got the Ohana for this very reason. Except I haven't played it or taken it out of the house since... last September, I think. I don't find myself at raucous drinking parties all that often in my old age, but I do find myself bringing my Kamaka soprano to the park and to the beach all the time. You know, exposing it to temperature changes and all those horrors. And it's fine.

When I was planning my recent trip to Hawaii, I couldn't decide which uke to bring. One of my instructors said to just bring the one I like playing the most (Kamaka concert), and I took his advice. That uke survived airports, flying, daily trips to the beach, and being unattended in a hotel room (this last thing was my biggest worry). And now that I'm back home and it's almost beach season again, it will probably accompany me there every weekend over the summer.

Of course, it helps that I have *two* of them - if I only had one main uke, I would probably keep a beater around. Or if my main uke was a one-of-a-kind custom. (Some would argue that each Kamaka is one-of-a-kind, and they would be right, but - if the worst happened, it's still pretty easily replaced.)

Anyway. Have fun at the party, and happy St. Paddy's day!

Hey there, TOTALLY off topic, but I was just wondering how you took the uke on the airplanes - was it carry on luggage, or did you have to check it in? I'm flying home to Spain for the weekend, and I'm thinking about bringing my uke with me...

janeray1940
03-08-2011, 08:26 AM
Hey there, TOTALLY off topic, but I was just wondering how you took the uke on the airplanes - was it carry on luggage, or did you have to check it in? I'm flying home to Spain for the weekend, and I'm thinking about bringing my uke with me...

Carry-on. I was with three other ukers, none of us had any problems - each had a uke and a backpack as carry-ons.

There are a couple other threads on this - I think it depends on the airline. We were on Hawaiian Airlines and they didn't even look twice.

hopkid
03-08-2011, 08:29 AM
I flew American last month from Hawaii back to the mainland with my wife's uke (I picked it up for her as she couldn't make this trip) and my laptop as carryons. There were at least two others on my flight and the connecting flight to Richmond that had uke cases. No problems whatsoever.

sukie
03-08-2011, 08:35 AM
Take your uke to the party. You know you want to.

My uke will be attending UWC with me. It's the uke I use. It's the uke I'm starting to become "one" with. And I own it ,so I am responsible for it.

If people are going to get that trashed, ukulele music may not be needed anyway. just sayin'

Strato Streak
03-08-2011, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the quick replies guys, I guess I'll be taking my uke on its first ever trip this weekend! I'll stop hijacking the thread now :D

Lori
03-08-2011, 09:27 AM
If you are going to worry about your uke, then bring a beater and relax. It's a party, and you're supposed to have fun. There are a lot of aggressive guitar players out there, and they might be a bit rough on a little uke. If you bring a Dolphin, a Flea or any number of Kalas/ Ohanas... you could happily hand the uke around for everybody to try, and maybe convert a few to our side. You never know what jewelry or heavy buttons people might be wearing that might scratch up the back of the uke. I was always grateful that I use a Dolphin in my strap demos when I hear large clunking sounds coming from large necklaces banging against the uke's back.
–Lori

NatalieS
03-08-2011, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I think I've decided not to take the Kamaka, but instead maybe buy a Dolphin. It's hard for me to justify having a "beater uke" because it would probably sit in the closet 360 days out of the year.... but whenever I think of my Kamaka even getting a scratch on it, my insides seize up. I think I'd better be safe than sorry...

janeray1940
03-08-2011, 09:51 AM
I think I've decided not to take the Kamaka, but instead maybe buy a Dolphin.

Let us know what you get...

I think this whole discussion kind of proves what I've said before in "how many is enough?" discussions - two, minimum :)

soupking
03-08-2011, 09:57 AM
I just wanted to add that I wasn't trying to discourage you from taking the Kamaka. I was just throwing my recent experience out there as a warning. Every person that played the Koalohas I brought to the party was issued a disclaimer before I placed it in their hands, that went something like this: "This is a $900 Koaloha made in Hawaii solid koa tenor. If you drop it, I will kill you." Haha. It worked, though.

SweetWaterBlue
03-08-2011, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I think I've decided not to take the Kamaka, but instead maybe buy a Dolphin. It's hard for me to justify having a "beater uke" because it would probably sit in the closet 360 days out of the year.... but whenever I think of my Kamaka even getting a scratch on it, my insides seize up. I think I'd better be safe than sorry...

I think the Dolphin is a great choice for a party uke if you can get one in time.

brUKEman
03-08-2011, 10:45 AM
I say bring the Kamaka. What good is having a beautiful expensive uke if you can't show it off and play it for other people. If there are other instruments, it will be able to hold its own in a jam session. Just be careful and keep it in the case when not in use.

If you do get a little scratch or ding then it will just add to its character.

OldePhart
03-08-2011, 11:20 AM
Time for a beater. I don't mind getting the occasional ding or scratch brought on by a moment of carelessness on stage or what have you - lends character to the instrument. But, if this bash is going to be anything like the ones I attended in my misspent youth I think I'd leave the Kamaka home!

Speaking of misspent youth - I am so glad that I have reached the point in my life where "wild drunken party" means a second glass of wine with dinner! LOL

John

joeybug
03-08-2011, 11:51 AM
I agree with all that's been said, especially when you talked about the thought of it getting damaged makes your insides wobble, go for a cheap beater Uke (I guess mine would be Astrid) one that's easy to replace if it gets damaged or passed around or what not, I certainly wouldn't take my Luna or Ohana or KPK to a party involving alcohol unless it was people who either owned Ukes or I knew would either not want to play or knew how to respect and treat an instrument like the Ukulele.

Let us know what you get as your "beater" Uke!

itsme
03-08-2011, 12:31 PM
I think you made a wise decision. :)

My husband likes to have his buddies over to drink and play video games and darts. Inevitably one of them sees I play guitar and wants to try it. There is no way I'm going to let some drunk wannabe rocker wail on a delicate hand-made classical guitar that's worth a few grand more than my car (well, it's an older car, so that's not really saying too much :p). So I grab the beat up old Ibanez steel string out of the closet and tell them to have at it.

So take the Dolphin, share the aloha spirit and pass it around to whoever wants to try it. You might just find some converts in the crowd.

Once you have an uke you don't have to worry about, you may just find yourself taking it along with you to more places. It can also be humbling to play a "lesser" instrument and it will make you appreciate your Kamaka even more.

Pondoro
03-08-2011, 01:34 PM
The best thing about a beater uke is that it will not sound as good as your main uke. You will then learn about setting up an instrument. My $59 Lanikai LU-21 has been upgraded, by me, at no risk to my expensive Pono. I've made a new saddle and adjusted the compensation and string height, also changed the shape of the nut because it was wrong. So I paid $59 for the uke but got $200 worth of lessons in how to set up an instrument.

I have also fearlessly brought the beater uke to summer camp and let the teenagers play it, and I've brought it on business trips all over the world, carelessly tossed in my carry on bag without a proper case. If it ever breaks I will learn how to repair a uke, or I will buy a small hand drum and make a banjo uke out of the neck.

FreakyBob
03-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Fun thread. Reminds me of the old joke about what's the difference between a violin and a fiddle???.....You can spill beer on a fiddle!

Just play your heart out with whichever you bring. You'll probably be thinking that the other one is the one you should of brought anyway. Hey, bring both now!

downtoearthed
03-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Sounds like you make a good choice! Let us know what you get.

pat rock
03-09-2011, 03:25 AM

I can tell how much you love that Kamaka - dolphin will do fine! We have a couple of Fleas that we play with the kids and I bring to school everyday.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
03-09-2011, 05:03 AM
Whatever you finally decide to do will be the right decision... for you, since you will have to live with the consequences.

This has been a very interesting thread, rabbit trail and all.

Very helpful suggestions, arguments, pleas, etc.

What a wonderful UU Family discussion. Just think if we could all somehow get together, in person, like at a retreat or summer camp, what a grand time we would have. I guess the UU Forum will have to do... and it's a great place to do it.

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I'm sure we have all learned a thing or two.

Have a great time at the Party and I think your turtle is still too young to be there. : )

Keep uke'in',

NatalieS
03-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Thanks to everyone who has helped me come to my decision, and LOL at the turtle comments. (I do love my new pet turtle oh so much!)

I've put in a few WTB ads for used Fleas to see what comes up. I'm also considering an Ohana CK70RB (roundback). They seem like neat ukes.

peterp
03-09-2011, 05:40 PM
If the back-up uke doesn't arrive in time, here's what I'd do: take your Kamaka; leave it in the car; check out the party; when things have settled down, and when the live music begins, get your uke and hide behind the mandolin player. (A mandolin player has a much greater investment in his/her instrument.) Guard the uke with your life. Have a good time playing your favorite uke in front of friends.

veejayblox
03-10-2011, 05:11 PM
hmmm.... a ukulele is a musical instrument and not a toy, i understand you wanting to play it and all, but at a drunken party.. this i do not understand. like someone said some "guitarists" are rather rough when playing the instrument, any instrument, and an innocent, untouched ukulele would just be a convenient target for their immature behavior and unchecked "macho" impulses. if it was me, i wouldn't expose myself to such slipshod behavior/situations anyway, but even so my ukulele would never leave my hands, and would absolutely never leave my sight. :confused:

Wagster
03-10-2011, 06:08 PM
In my mind, this is exactly why you buy a good uke! So you can play it with other musicians and sound like the champ that you are! How often do you get the chance to jam with other people? Shine on you crazy diamond.

Even if you do get another uke (and there's no reason not to) I would encourage you to take both. You're going to want to play the "good one"!

(Jake doesn't leave his Kamaka at home when he plays around a bunch of drunks! :))

NatalieS
03-13-2011, 11:19 AM
Quick update... I ordered an Ohana roundback uke as my "beater" uke. I think it should arrive in time for Friday's party. I've got a neat decorative idea for it too. :) I don't expect this uke to sound anywhere near as good as my Kamaka, but I think I should probably leave the Kamaka at home. I may take it and keep it in the car, depending on how bad the roundback sounds. I may be pleasantly surprised when I get there to discover the party isn't so insane after all. (And it's really not supposed to be that crazy. It's not like people will be smashing things over each other's heads and knocking into furniture. ;) )

Plainsong
03-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Those roundback Ohanas sound great! There's a local player who has some killer uke, and that Ohana is still in heavy rotation.

itsme
03-13-2011, 12:00 PM
Very cool, Natalie! :cool:

Is it the CK-70RB?

http://www.ohana-music.com/conc/ck70rb/master.html

That looks somewhat like a Kala thinline. With a solid spruce top it should have a nice, bright sound. And with a composite back, it should be quite durable. Isn't that what Flukes/Fleas have?

I think most of us who were saying get a beater were thinking along the lines of just cheap and serviceable like a Dolphin. That actually looks like quite a nice uke and it may just surprise you. :)

Where did you order it from? I'll keep my fingers crossed that it arrives in time for the party.

joeybug
03-13-2011, 12:07 PM
Hope it arrives in time for the party!

FlakMonkey
03-13-2011, 12:28 PM
I was in a similar predicament, and I decided to take my Makala MK-P to a party. I'm glad I did- everyone treated my beloved Uke with respect (probably because they know the extent of my infatuation)! Anyway, the party turned out to be my surprise birthday party, and my best friend even made me a ukulele cake (might share pics soon). It was a great night!

NatalieS
03-13-2011, 12:41 PM
I'm glad to hear the roundback has some fans! I was originally looking for a flea because I know how durable they are, but the Ohana is about $50 cheaper and has a rosewood fretboard and solid spruce top!

itsme, yes it's the CK70-RB. I ordered it from a place 2 hours from here that happens to sell ukes on ebay. It's supposed to ship via UPS ground tomorrow so I think it should arrive in time. It's also already set up with Aquilas, so I hope it'll be ready to go out of the box!

Huna
03-13-2011, 12:50 PM
oh I want one of those Ohana's myself. I think the composite backed ukes often sound fantastic. One of my dolphins is just perfect. I want an ohana too though. Theres a guy in Atlanta with fancy ukes and he likes his Makala Tenor best so go figure...

Huna
03-13-2011, 12:51 PM
I wouldn't call an OHana CK70RB a beater though lmao... well I guess you could probably safely drop it ... maybe!

NatalieS
03-13-2011, 01:01 PM
I wouldn't call an OHana CK70RB a beater though lmao... well I guess you could probably safely drop it ... maybe!

Welllllll I sort of agree, but then again "beater uke" can have different meanings for different people. For me, I want something that I can pass around to other people without worrying about it being scratched. At the same time, I want something that'll sound good-- otherwise, it will never ever get played in my house. If I had young children, I'd probably have an entirely different definition for "beater uke". :) But I think this one will suit its purpose pretty well.

OldePhart
03-13-2011, 01:07 PM
(And it's really not supposed to be that crazy. It's not like people will be smashing things over each other's heads and knocking into furniture. ;) )

Oh, my mistake, I thought you said it was a party! :biglaugh:

cletus
03-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Oh, my mistake, I thought you said it was a party! :biglaugh:

My first reaction as well... I lived much more dangerously back in the olden days.:old:

itsme
03-13-2011, 02:52 PM
itsme, yes it's the CK70-RB. I ordered it from a place 2 hours from here that happens to sell ukes on ebay.
Think I found it on ebay. The pic on the Ohana site made it look more like a thinline but I guess it's not. It's still a very nice looking uke, though, and that's a very good price. :)

NatalieS
03-13-2011, 03:26 PM
Update: I'm not sure the Kamaka will stay home after all. It turns out this party is serious business--- several instruments, songsheets with chords, music stands, all that. One of my friends is so psyched I'm bringing a uke (he's the guitar player, and wants to get into uke). Maybe I'll take both ukes, and whoever wants to try one out will be handed the Ohana! :)

Huna
03-13-2011, 03:30 PM
ha ha your UAS tricked you didn't it? lol

NatalieS
03-13-2011, 03:44 PM
ha ha your UAS tricked you didn't it? lol

It's been a very unwilling UAS on my part! I really didn't want to get a second uke because I like the thought of going through life with my beloved Kamaka and that's it. But I'm also very protective of that uke, so... before I knew it, I was clicking "Buy now" on ebay for that Ohana.

SweetWaterBlue
03-14-2011, 07:19 AM
That happens to all of us Natalie. I wasn't looking for another soprano (except maybe an SK-38) when my recent SK-70 showed up on Craigslist for a price I just could not ignore. When I found it was owned by a fellow SEUker and that I had played it when it was new, and started looking at reviews and pictures on the internet, I found myself meeting the seller to buy it. I just could not help myself lol. I figured I could always sell it, but so far, I find sellng ukes a lot harder to make myself do than buying them.

Huna
03-14-2011, 11:49 AM
hehe maybe we can have a little contest to win that roundback ;)

NatalieS
03-16-2011, 06:16 AM
Okay the roundback arrived today. First impressions:

- It's cute! It's actually a pretty cool-looking little uke. I like the plastic back for durability, and the sprucetop is a refreshing alternative to the hoop-pine-top Flea and Fluke. In pictures, the body of the uke tends to look pretty pear-shaped, but in person it's just cute.
- As far as balance goes, it's definitely bottom-heavy. Since I usually play sitting, this isn't a problem at all. There's also a standard strap button in case people want to use a strap. That might help with the balance of the instrument while standing.
- Compared to a solid wood instrument, the roundback sounds rather... one dimensional. BUT it does have volume to it, and I think the Aquilas are a nice complement for the instrument. I haven't played a Flea or Fluke in a while, but the tone of this instrument reminds me of a Flea, but bigger. Just a little sweeter than the average Fluke, which (in my opinion) can easily sound muddy.
- Craftsmanship is pretty good! Action is nice and low. I was a little bummed to see several scuffs in the plastic finish on the back, but hey, this is my beater uke after all. One funny thing about the ukulele is its smell. I assume it's the plastic, but it smells sort of like chlorine. I'm sure that'll wear off. :D

I ordered a neat fish decal that I hope comes in soon-- I want to see how it would look on the body of the uke. If I don't like it, I'll seriously consider painting a koi right on the spruce top (even though I have no artistic talent). I might as well make the uke fun!

Pics to follow...

NatalieS
03-16-2011, 06:19 AM
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa270/nksteckler/001.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa270/nksteckler/002-1.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa270/nksteckler/003-1.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa270/nksteckler/004-2.jpg

Mandarb
03-16-2011, 07:12 AM
Looks nice. Enjoy the party!

SweetWaterBlue
03-16-2011, 07:18 AM
It looks nice Natalie. The only thing I don't like about spruce and cedar (I've got several of them, including my guitar) is how easily they dent. So.. if you use it as a cricket bat, don't use the spruce side.

cletus
03-16-2011, 07:39 AM
A much better party uke.:old:
Might even survive an :bowdown:OldePhart hootnanny!

OldePhart
03-16-2011, 11:48 AM
A much better party uke.:old:
Might even survive an :bowdown:OldePhart hootnanny!

BWAA-HAAA - uh, oh, I'm getting a reputation... LOL

joeybug
03-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Cool looking Uke and a good one to pass round!

NatalieS
03-18-2011, 06:25 AM
I don't know if this is karma or what, but... I can't go to the party tonight. I've been sort-of sick all week but this morning woke up with no voice, a raw throat, and coughing up crud. Is this God's way of telling me UAS is a bad thing? I won't get to introduce my friends to uke or try out the roundback. I'm pretty bummed right now.

fitncrafty
03-18-2011, 06:28 AM
Sorry to hear that Natalie... hope you are feeling better soon!

NatalieS
03-18-2011, 06:36 AM
Thanks :( I'm going to lie on the couch and watch a TV series my dad gave me on DVD. Not as much fun as a party! But I don't want to get anyone sick.

mds725
03-18-2011, 07:06 AM
Sorry to hear that you're sick. I hope there will be other opportunities to introduce your new roundback ukulele at non-ukulele specific gatherings. Feel better!

Mandarb
03-18-2011, 07:06 AM
That stinks. Hope you feel better.

pat rock
03-18-2011, 08:12 AM
congrats on the new uke and feel better!

SweetWaterBlue
03-18-2011, 08:13 AM
Sorry to hear that Natalie. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

pat rock
03-18-2011, 08:15 AM
I wish I had known about the Ohana when I got my Flea! How's the Ohana play?

uncle phil
03-18-2011, 09:01 AM
One great thing (among many) about ukes is you can play them while curled up on the couch!

Get better soon.

UP

janeray1940
03-18-2011, 09:30 AM
I don't know if this is karma or what, but... I can't go to the party tonight. I've been sort-of sick all week but this morning woke up with no voice, a raw throat, and coughing up crud. Is this God's way of telling me UAS is a bad thing? I won't get to introduce my friends to uke or try out the roundback. I'm pretty bummed right now.

Oh goodness. After all that! I'm sorry to hear you've got the sick that seems to be going around as of lately - here's to a speedy recovery!

joeybug
03-18-2011, 09:31 AM
Hope you feel better soon!

NatalieS
03-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Thanks guys. I'm now under the influence of Sudafed and feeling well enough to play the Kamaka on the couch. (Did I mention how much I love this thing? Seriously...)

chiefnoda
03-18-2011, 12:49 PM
I've been sort-of sick all week

Now you have to invite some of yur musician friends over and have a little music party. Call it St Patrick's Lunar Calendar Party or something!

You can instroduce your new roundback, your new turtle, our old friend Kamaka. You can limit the number and exclude possible troubles and feel secure.

And invite us all!!!

Cheers
Chief

downtoearthed
03-18-2011, 05:34 PM
How about hosting an April Fools party? Although people may think there is no party. Hope you feel better soon!

chiefnoda
03-18-2011, 06:21 PM
How about hosting an April Fools party?

I like it better. That's the official holiday for atheists!

Cheers
Chief

NatalieS
03-22-2011, 10:59 PM
I like it better. That's the official holiday for atheists!

Cheers
Chief

It's also my birthday!

I'm unfortunately still sick. Finally went to the doctor and started antibiotics for a sinus infection. I haven't been able to sleep at night but UU is fun to peruse during those times.