Bunch of pickers

dhkane

Reaction score
Do most members play a song because they enjoy picking it?

Or is it because they like the lyrics and enjoy singing it?

I see a lot of video's of players that don't sing but they can sure pick. Isn't something missing?

I don't see players that enjoy singing a song and just strumming the majors chords. I'm not good enough to "pick" yet. But it doesn't stop me from straight strumming the songs.

I'll wait 'til I'm a better picker before I send in my video.:nana:

i love just playing man... when i play close to you, what i can anyway, i sway side to side hahaha the music moves me..

i guess some people cant sing, not everybody has talent like some of the people on this forum

lol, finally get to meet you.

Hey, I'm like you, I just jam whether I miss a chord or not. Just stand up and go for it. Pretend there's a bunch of people sreaming my name. It's fun.

When learning a new song, I just strum it out and hum it to myself but you got to do it with feelings and emotions that matches the song. Once I get the words down, I'm blasting!

I play just to play.
I'll play any song I can finger the chords to from The Dead to Jimmy Buffett to Woody Guthrie and alot of the oldie stuff in my lesson books.

I am now tryin to learn this finger picking with strumming thing and it is hard!!!

As for singing in last weeks lesson the teacher told me I need to sing along with the group, I told him he didn't want me to... But he insisted till I sang... then he told me I did'nt have to sing!!!!!

It's just the style of the time-- people are really big on virtuoso performances like those of James Hill and Jake Shimabukuro.

I like Hill alright, and Jake's amazing, but he leaves me cold. But that's the style of the moment.

It's just the style of the time-- people are really big on virtuoso performances like those of James Hill and Jake Shimabukuro.

I like Hill alright, and Jake's amazing, but he leaves me cold. But that's the style of the moment.

Yeah, you're right, these guys are really good. Most of the guys that do solos are too busy concentrating on picking on the ukulele. It would be hard for them to sing at the same time.

I listen to a lot of Hawaiian groups. There's usually one or two ukulele players, one or two guitar players, and a bass player. If there are two ukulele players, one does the picking (4-string tenor or concert) and the other does the strumming (6-8 string tenor). The picker does the intro, instrumental part, and the outro and he is given free reign to do his thing throughout the song and does not sing. The strummer, on the other hand, sets the tempo and does the singing with the guitar and bass players.

But what stands out is the "singing" with the ukulele playing in the background. You know, a group singing thing.

I guess I'm a groupie.

lol, finally get to meet you.

Hey, I'm like you, I just jam whether I miss a chord or not. Just stand up and go for it. Pretend there's a bunch of people sreaming my name. It's fun.

When learning a new song, I just strum it out and hum it to myself but you got to do it with feelings and emotions that matches the song. Once I get the words down, I'm blasting!

u wanted to meet me?? haha =] Hey :)

yeah i know what you mean, its fun...

i tell you whats also fun, when its like 11 at night when people are sleeping and strum as loud as possible haha fun fun

I generally play with my husband. He strums on his G-tuned tenor. I sing, strum and pick a few fills here and there. If we do a song with an instrumental break, I usually pick the lead on that.

I really like it when I can get Rich to sing, because then I can pick more, which I've been trying to work on.

I generally play with my husband. He strums on his G-tuned tenor. I sing, strum and pick a few fills here and there. If we do a song with an instrumental break, I usually pick the lead on that.

I really like it when I can get Rich to sing, because then I can pick more, which I've been trying to work on.

You have an ideal set up for a twosome, a husband and wife team, that's great.

I usually do most of the singing, even though I try to pawn it off to somebody else. You know, spread it around. Last week we had about ten or more ukulele players at the Hawaiian Style Grill in Sacramento. It was crazy. We broke up in two groups, one group outside the grill and the other inside the grill. The weather was nice.

We always hang around outside after the place closes and continue jammin'. Its fun.

But I like your set up better, two or three players, perfect size. I can actually hear my ukulele playing in a smaller setting, lol.

Top Bottom