Chunking

Reaction score
just started to play the uke and want to learn island in the sun but i can figure out how to chunk. I guess i cant get the right sound. Any suggestions???

Last edited:
My suggestion would be to learn to play it straight first. Get everything else right. If you really want to "chunk", learn how to do it separately. But remember, it is a very, very overdone technique. It can sound silly if it is not done well and I'm afraid it is too often done badly. Many people use it too much too.

In the hands of a really brilliant player, like Aldrine for instance, it can sound magical. Done precisely it can enhance your playing.

Many players never use this technique at all. Others only use it when the piece calls for it. Learn how to do it well, but don't be tempted to use it in every song.

Also, make sure that the ends of the strings are tucked in and out of the way at the bridge otherwise you may jab the heel of your hand on it and the resulting twitch can be quite off-putting when it happens mid-performance:eek:

Great demo Josh, thanks

so if a song calls for a chunk should i just do an up/ down strum instead??
Do what you can do for now. As you progress as a player your playing will change/improve. Practice the chunk and apply it as your ability allows.
Don

My suggestion would be to learn to play it straight first. Get everything else right. If you really want to "chunk", learn how to do it separately. But remember, it is a very, very overdone technique. It can sound silly if it is not done well and I'm afraid it is too often done badly. Many people use it too much too.

In the hands of a really brilliant player, like Aldrine for instance, it can sound magical. Done precisely it can enhance your playing.

Many players never use this technique at all. Others only use it when the piece calls for it. Learn how to do it well, but don't be tempted to use it in every song.

Ken makes an excellent point. As with any flourish (fan stroke, split, triplet, etc.) or percussive playing technique (chunking, wah, etc.) they purity of the song is always at stake. These techniques can destroy a performance as deftly as enhancing one. I would also be mindful if you are accompanying a vocalist as many of these techniques can be downright distracting if they "pop" up in an inappropriate place in the song.

Top Bottom