I'm headed to the Ukulele Festival

Capt Roy

Reaction score
Just purchased my tickets and booked hotel rooms for the 41st Annual Ukulele Festival in Hawaii on July 17th.

Have some good friends going with us and both of us play a little. I just started this year and my friend is a music instructor.. We are really looking forward to this..

I hope to tour a few of the factories while we are there. I'm going to carry my Kamaka Tenor with me but I bet I'll be coming home with another one.

Any suggustions on the best tours?? Anyone else going to be there??

Capt Roy

Lucky! I wish I was going. I've been to the KoAloha factory (last month) and it was a great visit. The folks there are very friendly and I felt very welcome there. The production area is really small but I only had the Gibson factory tour in Memphis to compare it to. Still, it was fascinating to see how the ukes are made, especially since it's the birthplace of my concert.

Well, all I can say is Have Fun!
I'm jealous.

Whatever you do, do not miss the Kamaka factory tour. You'll love it!

As for the uke festival - I'm told the thing to do is get there early if you want to stake out a shady spot. Really, really early.

You will have a great time. I went last year and it was a blast (though a bit hot!) My advice, get there early. They are not a lot of seats or spots in the shade and if you want one, you need to claim it quick. Have fun! :)

Man that sounds like fun!! Get youself a new Kamaka, hit the Uke festivel in Hawaii...it can't get much better than that!
I will miss the uke festival...be in Honolulu in August for a few days.
Have fun, take lots of pictures and post them so we all can see and enjoy!!!

Some of us get there early to secure some of the bench seating under the shade of the overhanging branches.
One caveat... pidgeons! Need I say more?

Anyway, anyone who comes, check out the bench seats about 3 rows back to find fellow UUers. Some UUers bring
an awning and sit beyond the benches (lots more room). May be we should gather together there?

Key, it can get very hot, especially if you are in direct sunlight. Not a good idea. Get in the shade and carry and appyl
sun block.

Other than that, Have Fun. Look for a short Filipino guy with a trilby hat and a big smile - probably Aldrine, if he makes
it there. Probably have a girl hanging on his arm ;)

Just walk around shouting "Ukulele Underground" and you'll find us, or someone will ask you to stop shouting.

Keep uke'in', and hope to see you there!

Other than that, Have Fun. Look for a short Filipino guy with a trilby hat and a big smile - probably Aldrine, if he makes
it there. Probably have a girl hanging on his arm ;)

Just walk around shouting "Ukulele Underground" and you'll find us, or someone will ask you to stop shouting.

Keep uke'in', and hope to see you there!

What great advice! I know what a trilby is now, too. (thanks)

We are leaving at 0930 tomorrow morning for the ukulele festival in Honolulu.. I have the Kamaka all packed in it's case sitting by the door.

If anyone of you are there.. I'm a tall, skinny, 66 years old with a great big grey moustache.

I will be taking my ipad for checking my email and following the forum.

I will be staying at the Hale Koa..

Hope to see and meet a few of you there..

Capt Roy

Have a great time Capt. Roy. Be sure to check out that Kamaka tour -- from the Hale Koa you just need to take the 42 bus to get there (get off at South Street) it is only about a ten minute ride. And have a great time at the festival, I loved it last year (though it was hot as all get out so I wish I had gotten there early enough for some shade). :)

I went once about 18 years ago. It was at Waikiki in an amphitheater. I didn't own a uke then. It was a lot of fun. I remember a kids' uke orchestra playing Bach and an old gentleman from Japan play the 12th st Rag. Great entertainment! If you live in Hawaii, you gotta go. Sure wish I could.

Hey Capt Roy, I'm also leaving tomorrow from Seattle via Bellingham (Horizon) then on to HNL (Alaska) arriving
around 9p. Thanks for your description, I'm a 5'7", 63 yr old local guy (Japanese) I hope to be wearing my brown
UU t-shirt if I can find it. If not, I'll wear my Mighty Uke t-shirt.

Make sure you sign up for the free ukulele raffles at the various vendors. Who knows, you might get lucky.
A couple of years back, Howie1947 won a Kanile'a! And last year we thought he won again, but it was someone
else with a similar name!

Sitting in the shade under the tree limbs does have it's caveats, namely pidgeons! Just look at the benches
when you get there early. You'll probably have to do some cleaning before settling in. The birds like ukulele
music also.

Hope to see you and any other UUers who may be attending. So any of you who may be reading this, looke for
that tall moustachioed Texan and the shorter local Japanese guy with either a UU t-shirt or a Mighty Uke t-shirt.
Let's get together and kanikapila.

keep uke'in',

PS Capt Roy, I'll also be attending my High School's 45th reunion at the Hale Koa on the 23rd! Yeah Kaimuki, Go Bulldogs!

Top Bottom