"One Meatball"

H

Hippie Dribble

traditional. a variant on the much older 'Lone Fish Ball' which dates back to the mid 19th century.

the song has been recorded by heaps of people, notably, Roy Bookbinder, Dave Van Ronk, The Andews Sisters, Josh White and, more recently, Lil' Rev.

I recorded it last night on the front porch, pockets empty, on a collings concert uke.

Tragic or comic? A bit of both maybe...but I went down the more tragic road. :( Hope you like it! :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEJnGxk-4L4

Three notes in my daughter said, "It's the meatball song" she LOVES this song... She is your youngest groupie and as soon as it ended we had to listen to it again. She usually listens to pop radio and lately wants to listen to YOUR music in the car!! :) That's a huge compliment!

It truly is a GREAT video, Great song, great playing!! Thanks!

Very well done! Have always loved this song.
--G

Good rendition! Enjoyed the song and performance.... :)

Aloha Eugene,
Like fitncrafty said, I had to playback and listen to it twice...it was so great...I know the song well a long time ago...was nice to hear your rendition and with your uke playing..
It's definetely a fun song and enjoyed it very much....thanks for sharing and Happy Strummings Matey!! Keep them coming our way!!!!!MM Stan

Great job. This is one of my favorite von Ronk tunes.

I love it. I guess I'm one the few that's not heard that song before. How sad, one meatball. Very well done, thanks Eugene.
Don

Great song and excellent recording. I never heard that song before either. .....I must go back under my rock now.

thanks you guys for the kind words about the recording. I appreciate it heaps. It sure is a great tune...still can't work out if it is a tragedy or a comedy after all these years though! :eek:

I just wonder how many folks who aren't fans of old blues songs came to the thread thinking they were going to hear the childrens song about the poor meatball that rolled of the plate, onto the table, off the table, onto the floor, etc. In fact, I thought about doing that one as a reply on this thread just for grins!

John

Top Bottom