Uke transportation

souljam

Reaction score
Honolulu, Hawaii or Boston, Massachusetts
So I am a college student and without a car. I have to bike everywhere and carrying an uke in a hardcase in one hand while riding with the other hand is becoming perilous for both me and my uke. Is there anyone else who has found a method for carrying their uke while biking? I would appreciate the input.

Get a gig bag that you can wear around your back. Either that or get a shoulder strap for your hard case and sling it around your body. Seems to work with me.
Once in a while, I put the entire hard case inside of a backpack and strap it in so it doesnt fall out when I skateboard. Make sure you strap it in good tho, the worst thing i could imagine is if I dropped my precious uke.

I've used a padded gig bag with backpack straps, but I'm aware that this probably wouldn't protect my ukulele enough in the event of a fall or collision. Maybe there's a pannier big enough for your hard case? Or you could get a utility bike, like this one, that allows you to haul stuff.

First we need photos of that uke in your avatar! Custom Kanilea?

Check out monocase.com they don't have a uke case yet but will in a few months.
Now backs to those pics...

I bought a hard shell case from Kala - it has D-rings on it for straps.

Other folks in the local ukulele group have purchase d-rings at home Depot and mounted them on the hard shell case, with no issues.

You can also get one of the semi-hard Uke Crazy cases (by Kala, if I'm correct) with two sets of d-rings - one on the side, one on the back. They run about $35-40.

-Kurt

Hey, I finally got around to adding photos of my uke. The only way I could figure out to do it was make an album on my profile. Let me know what you think.

Also, I think I am going to go with one of the soft shell cases with a strap, it seems like the easiest and most cost effective option.

Thanks!

Top Bottom